need help in kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the feed provider for Jefferson county Kansas since 2011, a few months ago my small county started using portable 800 radios along side of their traditional old school uhf system, so now when ever the cops are outside of their vehicles they are talking to dispatch on 800, I can still hear dispatch talking to the cops but can't hear the cops reply UNLESS they are using the radios mounted in their cop cars then I can hear both sides. Anyways I purchased a brand new uniden home patrol ll and downloaded and installed the latest database/ home patrol sentinel. The thing is I am old school and not up to speed on talk groups or these new systems. I know they are not encrypted but I can't seam to find what I need on radio reference to program my new scanner for the 800. Damn I hope that all made sense!! I'm sure it is probably staring me in the face but I can't figure it out. I'm still stuck in 2011 when I first started broadcasting!! any and all help would GREATLY be appreciated!!

my feed.... https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/8609

Still something missing!!

well i think I have the scanner properly programmed with the correct talk group for meriden and oskaloosa using Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS), on talk group 4553. But I believe there is still a talk group I am missing that has not updated with radio reference! .....I hope that made sense! still only getting one sided conversations it seems when cops are on portable and not using the radio attached to their vehicles. 😡

How can I get radio reference to check on this for jefferson county ks?

My home patrol ll has been updated using sentinel current database!!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I moved your post to the Kansas forum since it doesn't really have anything to do with streaming and for better visibility to local help.

N0JRD

Premium Subscriber
There is only the two for Jefferson County. 4553 is the main sheriff channel. The other is rarely used. I’ve only heard it a few times.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm a long way from Kansas but I've been active in a Ford County discussion recently. What I think I can confirm is that there are obvious changes occuring on or related to the KSICS state system but updates to the RRDB don't seem to be happening (I assume because no one is submitting the changes). In the Ford County case, it is clear that the county recently (end of August) switched from what looks like a single state tower covering the county to a 3 site/tower (and possibly Phase 2) system. From the available information, as a RR user, I cannot tell you if it is a separate county system or new towers that are part of the KSICS statewide system. Unless/until someone does this analysis, we won't know for sure.

I am only saying this because you could be seeing something similar - the RRDB may not be current for your area as well. Keep in mind that the data is user driven -- the best solution is to help determine the current state of the system in your area and submit that information for the next guy to use. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is well worth it. Lacking that, the best you can hope for is that someone will read the request for someone to figure it out and hope someone does/will and then takes the time to post the results.

BTW - In North Carolina, the statewide system lists talkgroups for most counties. However, I believe in some cases, those talkgroups are not used under normal day-to-day conditions. Of course, this caries from location to location. Every system is different.

There is only the two for Jefferson County. 4553 is the main sheriff channel. The other is rarely used. I’ve only heard it a few times.

the officers are using on occasion new 800 portable radios when they get out of their vehicles ( THAT ) is what I need an missing!!

n0lqt

Not sure about programming on the HP II, but you must remember with the KSICS not all traffic is always rebroadcast on all sites even in the local area. A unit on that talkgroup must be "associated" with the site before any traffic will be heard from that site. On my RS scanners, I make sure that I have all of the local sites AND control channels of the surrounding counties programmed in and the scanner set so that it scans all control channels on each pass. I have the local simulcast frequency and three additional surrounding sites preogrammed in.

Additionally, I have the talkgroup delay turned OFF and the system delay (Dwell) set to a minimum amount of time. In my area, I found a Dwell Time of around 750 ms or less was about right. I think 1500 ms was the default setting on my scanners. My county has 20+ talkgroups on KSICS in a multi-site simulcast system. Too short of a Dwell causes the scanner to sometimes drop the callback on the same talkgroup. Too long of a Dwell and the scanner might not always pickup the callback because it is off looking at sites not carrying any of my counties traffic.

You might experiment with changing the Dwell Time in the System Settings to see if that helps..... de...N0LQT

need to get info to radio reference

I have the INFO that radio reference needs to update their database so the home patrol sentinel data base can be updated!!

How do I get it to them?? this will solve my problem!!

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I have the INFO that radio reference needs to update their database so the home patrol sentinel data base can be updated!!

How do I get it to them?? this will solve my problem!!
That looks like some interesting stuff - but have you deciphered/distilled the information down and try to confirm any of it?

Do you have all of the pages of the PDF? My quick glance makes me believe it's missing some pages (at least what you have displayed).

I'd be happy to look at the entire document and see if I can make sense of it (and maybe help with programming).

You (or anyone) can submit info to update the RRDB but it generally needs to be validated/confirmed first.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If it was me I wouldn't have posted that seeing how it show a radio S/N. That can be tracked back to the user or person assigned that radio and can be a RGE.

resolved / almost

so the problem this whole time was that jefferson county kansas does not have their own site/tower for the newer 800 band so i opened up the home patrol software and added the surrounding county sites of topeka/dougles/leavenworth/atchison, and now I am receiving the correct talk group for jefferson county of 4552 and 4553. apparently jeff county is the only county in this area that does not have their own site and they put in for a grant to get one some time ago and are waiting to see if they get it!

i can now hear the officers and dispatch when they are using the new system but there is still on occasion some ( not many ) but some times I don't pick up both sides. but i think that has something to do with scanning or delay or something i need to tweak in the programming.

nec911

At this time, there are numerous counties in NEKS that do not have their own KSICS towers in their counties:

Jackson County
Jefferson County
Brown County
Osage County
Riley County
Geary County
Franklin County

The system was set up by KDOT so that there was Mobile Coverage. They did not care about Portable Coverage.

Jefferson County and other counties have put in for grants to get towers, but they have been denied as they do not meet the State Preparedness Report and the State THIRA requirements.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
At this time, there are numerous counties in NEKS that do not have their own KSICS towers in their counties:

Jackson County
Jefferson County
Brown County
Osage County
Riley County
Geary County
Franklin County

The system was set up by KDOT so that there was Mobile Coverage. They did not care about Portable Coverage.

Jefferson County and other counties have put in for grants to get towers, but they have been denied as they do not meet the State Preparedness Report and the State THIRA requirements.

Not to hi-jack the thread,but.......
What kind of radio chaos could we expect to hear if a large scale disaster where to occur to ,lets say Holton, as an example....something on the level of Greensburg in '07....would a COW be brought in to fill the gap or would it just get absorbed into the rest of the NE 6 Region?

Last edited:

bodacious

I am the feed provider for Jefferson county Kansas since 2011, a few months ago my small county started using portable 800 radios along side of their traditional old school uhf system, so now when ever the cops are outside of their vehicles they are talking to dispatch on 800, I can still hear dispatch talking to the cops but can't hear the cops reply UNLESS they are using the radios mounted in their cop cars then I can hear both sides. Anyways I purchased a brand new uniden home patrol ll and downloaded and installed the latest database/ home patrol sentinel. The thing is I am old school and not up to speed on talk groups or these new systems. I know they are not encrypted but I can't seam to find what I need on radio reference to program my new scanner for the 800. Damn I hope that all made sense!! I'm sure it is probably staring me in the face but I can't figure it out. I'm still stuck in 2011 when I first started broadcasting!! any and all help would GREATLY be appreciated!!

my feed.... https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/8609
I bought a new scanner having problems programming the code into the scanner it's a Uniden BC75XLT any help please.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
....You will have much better luck getting your scanner programmed for the Greene and Taney Counties and vicinity by posing this question in the Missouri section.

https://forums.radioreference.com/missouri-radio-discussion-forum/

My wife and myself just got back from Branson a few days ago and are heading back to Springfield this coming weekend......beautiful country and plenty to do down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.