• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2017 GMC Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Honestly, companies like Havis make no drill solutions for this body (that they didn't make for the previous generation). I'd look into that before going too far (especially if you are wanting to add multiple radios.

DJ11DLN

You need a light, an inspection mirror, and a creeper or an old piece of cardboard or carpet to get under the pickup and see what's there. Ask around, someone you know may have an inspection camera...Harbor Freight sells them pretty cheap. I've used mine for things I never dreamed I'd need it for, it's long since paid for itself. You just need to miss any wiring, plumbing, or linkages that might be there. If it was an older model I'd say drill away but I'm not familiar with anything that new.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking for advice here. Looking to floor mount a bracket like this (See link) in the middle of the truck floor near the 4x4 shifter. Whats under the floor that I am going to hurt? How long of screws should I use and what type?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.ca/Workman-B2030...+Cb+Radio+Metal+Swivel+Adjustable+Floor+Mount

A less than ideal way to mount radios. Drilling through the floor of any vehicle puts you at risk a number of ways…
-rust. If you do go this route, make sure you seal everything up really well.
-risk of hitting vehicle wiring, you'd need to visualize what's under the carpet and what's on the underside of the vehicle. Running a self drilling/tapping screw through a wiring harness can be a real mess.
-risk of long screws hitting transmission/transfer case. While unlikely, the vehicle body does move a bit in relation to the frame, it's why there are usually some sort of flexible body mounts. You don't want the transmission hitting the screws.

Done right, it can work. My issue with self tapping/drilling screws is that they can come loose with time. Might need an occasional tightening, or replacement if they ream out the hole too much. Through bolting with stainless steel hardware would probably be the route I'd choose. Use fender washers on the underside as well as a good layer of RTV or some sort of sealer under the washer.

Preferably you'd might want to look at hanging this under the dash if that's an option. Back up the underside with something like aluminum bar stock to spread the load out a bit. Might help keep it a bit more stable on bouncy roads.

The floor transfer case shifter might be in your way, so getting creative might be required. I just installed two remote heads under the dash of my work F350 that has the floor shifter. I went from under the dash with a custom fabricated bracket.

clbsquared

Find (or make) a bracket that allows you to utilize the bolts on the seats frame rails. There's no better place to secure something on the hump without risking damage to what's under the carpet or under the frame. Just recently a guy came to me to mount his radio in a 2008 Silverado. He thought it wouldn't be difficult at all. So he grabbed two self tapping screws and commenced to screwing them in the dash just below and to the right of the FM radio and climate control panels. His first screw went straight through the OnStar control module. Filled the cab with smoke and sparks. He brought it to me and told me what he did. I reached in the cab and popped the panel off which was held in by ONE screw and some retention clips. Took 5 seconds. He shook his head and said "I didn't even try doing that". Needless to say he was embarrassed by what he had done but thankful there was no more damage other than the On Star.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.