• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTO TRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodka_martini

A question for MOTO TRBO users.

How would you describe your experience with required firmware and software upgrades to your system? Reasonable or excessive?

Was it cost prohibitive?

How often do these come down the pike?

Thinking of switching an analog single site system for a campus to MT.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It honestly depends on the system and company policies. Occasionally you get to a point where a frimware is so old that a current version of TRBO CPS won't read the radio. Anytime a radio goes to depot (even for warranty repair) Motorola sends it back with the latest firmware. So for the most part with conventional and Capacity Plus firmware isn't a major concern. For Connect Plus it is recommended to keep your controllers and repeaters in the same firmware revision but the Connect Plus Option Board CPS doesn't have the same range of support that TRBO CPS does (so you find yourself updating firmware on subscribers almost every-time you reprogram them locally.

RadioGuy7268

What type of MotoTrbo system do you plan to implement? A basic single site system with one or two repeaters running in digital mode would require very little in the way of ongoing updates or anything beyond basic preventive maintenance.

Most of the time when we're going in to update a MotoTrbo system, it is due to the customer wanting to add features.

If you're buying a new system, spend a little time thinking through the setup to make sure you're getting what you need & making the most of what's available to you.

clbsquared

I've had an XPR 8400 in operation for three years now. I switched it from analog to digital 2 months ago. A firmware update was required for the switch to digital. That's the only one that's been done to it. You need to be aware of what exactly the updates are for. Some of them are just to update or fix features that may not apply to you. And therefore are unnecessary. Some firmware updates do more harm than good.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Also be aware that Motorola uses their customers as beta testers for new firmware releases

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I NEVER upgrade for at least a few months after new FW comes out. I'm not a paid lab rat.

Unpaid lab rat. Actually Motorola customers are paying Motorola to be unwitting beta testers, which IMHO is even worse.

N4KVE

Unpaid lab rat. Actually Motorola customers are paying Motorola to be unwitting beta testers, which IMHO is even worse.

And I agree. But not every user is a "paying customer". Many, like myself are affiliated with an entity that does pay for CPS, but as an employee, I don't. So every employee of a 2-way shop uses CPS, but does not pay for it. Many of us wait until that FW version is rock solid, & proven. Heck, I'm still on Trbo 13.5 for my personal radios, but the firm gets the newest. No need for me to upgrade, until a future version offers a feature, or improvement my "hobby" radio can use.

Firebuff880

I think this is more a discussion of philosophy than anything else.

If you are using gen 1 radios there is no advantage to touching them or paying for CPS as support ended back on 1.12.17.

If you are gen 2 or 2a then I recommend you touch them at least once a year. There have been just to many odd issues that get addressed an rebroken every release not to. I tell people it's no different that any other software you have. It needs the updates.

Now dollars are the issue an that can be 25 to 50 per unit depending on the dealer, location an contract.

======

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Just wait, Moto has been saying for a while that ahops/end users will have to start paying for tech support and firmware updates..... TT

Golay

We have the 3 year license. And have renewed it a couple of times now.
But to be honest, the only time I upgrade the software on the computer is when I get a radio in from our vendor that has software newer than what I got, and I need to reprogram a radio.

masstech

You can be as hands off you want for such upgrades. Honestly, the last MOTOTRBO system I had to touch was running radios and repeaters with software several years old - my recent copy of CPS was very unhappy about that, and I had to grab a copy of the older CPS in use from the primary administrator.

There never really are "required" updates, they're only as required as you desire them to be.

For a single site, you're looking at Capacity Plus. That's a few repeaters (the new SLR 5700 1U repeaters are about 3k USD each last I checked), and depending on how fancy you want your subscriber units to be, XPR 7550s are south of 750 USD each. You could probably reuse the RF infrastructure you already have (antenna(s), duplexer(s), combiner(s) if you're doing that, coax), throw in the cost of CPS, and all this is standard support and 3 years warranty - in the grand scheme of things, not cost prohibitive at all.

If your campus is popular/famous in any way, you can do what I did and throw it's name around at Motorola, play the prestige account card, and get some freebies and better support. No one likes bad press, and if a high and mighty university has a bad experience with Motorola, they can expect you to sully their name and wouldn't want that and would rectify any problems you've been having right away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.