• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL1500 Transmit Inhibit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc911c8

I am trying to program a trunked personality that will allow users to monitor traffic only. I have done this successfully on the XTS 1500 portable, but when I followed roughly the same logic and set the personality transmit setting to TV/AG receive only I was still able to transmit on the talk group even though it was set for the personality with the restriction. Am I missing a setting? I could not find anything else about transmit inhibit in the help files.

clbsquared

I believe you can only inhibit a conventional personality from transmitting. I don't think you can inhibit a trunking personality. That's why the NAF scan method is the best way to do this. It scans all the channels that are slaved to a conventional personality, thus never allowing the radio to transmit on a trunked talk group. If it's programmed correctly. However, without seeing your codeplug, it would be difficult to pinpoint the problem. It could be a number of things.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Trunking talkgroups can be set to TG/AG disabled which allows a radio to monitor the talkgroup but not transmit. The radio will still affiliate though.
This was introduced in a later version of firmware so make sure your firmware is new enough to support it.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Gents, the OP mentions users which leads me to believe these are authorized radios on the system.
Using the NAF scan method or setting the transmit offset to zero is not applicable.

mc911c8

Trunking talkgroups can be set to TG/AG disabled which allows a radio to monitor the talkgroup but not transmit. The radio will still affiliate though.
This was introduced in a later version of firmware so make sure your firmware is new enough to support it.

Thanks, MikeOxlong. We have had these radios since around 2012. I'll have to check their firmware version. The portables from the same time frame worked fine. Do you know what version the functionality became enabled? I feel like if there was ever a feature vs firmware conflict in the past the software would say that it was not applicable to that radio, but I may be wrong or thinking of Kenwood products.

And to clarify, yes, these are authorized users on the MOSWIN system. It's for a county sheriff's office that is authorized to transmit on most TG's, but was granted monitor-only access to Highway Patrol TG's. I can program everything myself which saves the trouble and cost of coordinating fleet updates through our Moto vendor, and I got it to work perfectly on our portables, but it's not taking on the mobiles. I tested it on an MSHP TG just to double check my work and when it keyed up I took it back out. MO DPS is nice about letting trusted local agency IT/radio staff have system keys, but they'll get salty about it quick if we key up on the HP Dispatch TG's.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Sorry I don't know which release implemented the tg/ag disabled option.

The other thing to check is the list of items under the Warnings section for that option.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, MikeOxlong. We have had these radios since around 2012. I'll have to check their firmware version. The portables from the same time frame worked fine. Do you know what version the functionality became enabled? I feel like if there was ever a feature vs firmware conflict in the past the software would say that it was not applicable to that radio, but I may be wrong or thinking of Kenwood products.

And to clarify, yes, these are authorized users on the MOSWIN system. It's for a county sheriff's office that is authorized to transmit on most TG's, but was granted monitor-only access to Highway Patrol TG's. I can program everything myself which saves the trouble and cost of coordinating fleet updates through our Moto vendor, and I got it to work perfectly on our portables, but it's not taking on the mobiles. I tested it on an MSHP TG just to double check my work and when it keyed up I took it back out. MO DPS is nice about letting trusted local agency IT/radio staff have system keys, but they'll get salty about it quick if we key up on the HP Dispatch TG's.

I have seen this occur on xtl-1500s and xtl-2500s. Not sure if its a firmware issue or not but when a trunking personality is set to TG/AG Disabled it still allows transmit on that personality. Im unaware the firmware ver in the radios I have seen this in but I know they were touched with the latest version of Astro25 CPS.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have seen this occur on xtl-1500s and xtl-2500s. Not sure if its a firmware issue or not but when a trunking personality is set to TG/AG Disabled it still allows transmit on that personality. Im unaware the firmware ver in the radios I have seen this in but I know they were touched with the latest version of Astro25 CPS.

It is 100% a firmware version issue. Motorola started making this option available in the XTS/XTL radios with firmware R19.50 and CPS version 19.01. Just need to bump the XTS/XTL radio firmware up to at least 19.50 if you wish for the Transmit Mode feature to work.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.