dia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
So with switching to P25 can they be heard up north now or they still on low power? What about Denver PD, are they making the switch later and will they still be on lower power?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
So with switching to P25 can they be heard up north now or they still on low power? What about Denver PD, are they making the switch later and will they still be on lower power?

I don't think any of these systems are "low power." The biggest factor to radio coverage is terrain. Higher power won't help if something is blocking the signal.

It sounds like most of the Denver PD officers based at the airport are not happy with the new system. I think a big complaint is reduced coverage area.

The rest of Denver is still normal operations on EDACS, and will continue to be for the immediate future. Denver has not purchased a replacement system for public safety yet, so they will probably be on EDACS for at least another year.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
So with switching to P25 can they be heard up north now or they still on low power?

When DIA was EDACS simulcast they were receivable up here most of the time when 800 propagation was good.

The new P25 system is also a simulcast configuration and no luck for decode,

Phil.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
It appears that many scanners have issues receving LSM systems using standard antenna's. The current "workaround" is to point a yagi to the closest site.

jim202

The rest of Denver is still normal operations on EDACS, and will continue to be for the immediate future. Denver has not purchased a replacement system for public safety yet, so they will probably be on EDACS for at least another year.

They are on borrowed time as support is on a very short string at this point. I don't recall the end of support date for the EDACS systems, but it isn't that far down the road. Denver better hope they have a pile of spare parts available.

Major problem for replacing any trunking system is that it takes about 2 years from the date of signing a contract until the system is up and operating. Plus don't forget that it takes time to write the specs for the system. This generally requires someone with the knowledge and technical background to be able to put it all down in black and white on a document.

Generally a consultant is brought in to work with an agency looking to replace their radio system. It takes a bit of time to go look at each tower location and try to figure out how to keep the old system running while your installing the new trunking system.

Then you have the coverage issue to make sure your new system provides the same or better coverage than what the old system provided. Don't forget that to prove the coverage, you need to drive test the old system to document the signal strength. Then when the new system is on the air, you need to drive test the new system to document the signal strength is what the contract required. This may require special antennas at some tower sites.

Normally the coax cables will be replaced on towers for the new system. You may even need to have 2 sets of antennas and coax cables on the towers for a short time. Can the towers stand the extra loading? Only a tower engineering study of the tower loading can answer this question. This study will steer how the work will be done. There may even be a requirement that the old tower has to be replaced.

All of this has to be done up front before much work can actually be done on the new radio system. It takes time and has to be done in a logical order. You need a whole bunch of information even before you start talking to the radio vendors. This is why most agencies bring in a qualified consultant that has been through this many times. It generally is not something that a Public Safety Agency can do on their own. There is too much money involved and you can't make any mistakes.

Now you may have just a small understanding on why it takes so long to implement a new trunking system. I have not even started to describe all the different steps it takes. Time is not on the good side of any agency trying to have a new trunking system installed for them. They also don't normally have enough internal talent to be able to handle a project of this size and complexity on their own.

kc0kp

It appears that many scanners have issues receving LSM systems using standard antenna's. The current "workaround" is to point a yagi to the closest site.
That works well when sites are widely dispersed. DIA sites from Phil's location are about two degrees apart in azimuth.

kc0kp

They are on borrowed time as support is on a very short string at this point. I don't recall the end of support date for the EDACS systems, but it isn't that far down the road. Denver better hope they have a pile of spare parts available.

Major problem for replacing any trunking system is that it takes about 2 years from the date of signing a contract until the system is up and operating. Plus don't forget that it takes time to write the specs for the system. This generally requires someone with the knowledge and technical background to be able to put it all down in black and white on a document.

Generally a consultant is brought in to work with an agency looking to replace their radio system. It takes a bit of time to go look at each tower location and try to figure out how to keep the old system running while your installing the new trunking system.

Then you have the coverage issue to make sure your new system provides the same or better coverage than what the old system provided. Don't forget that to prove the coverage, you need to drive test the old system to document the signal strength. Then when the new system is on the air, you need to drive test the new system to document the signal strength is what the contract required. This may require special antennas at some tower sites.

Normally the coax cables will be replaced on towers for the new system. You may even need to have 2 sets of antennas and coax cables on the towers for a short time. Can the towers stand the extra loading? Only a tower engineering study of the tower loading can answer this question. This study will steer how the work will be done. There may even be a requirement that the old tower has to be replaced.

All of this has to be done up front before much work can actually be done on the new radio system. It takes time and has to be done in a logical order. You need a whole bunch of information even before you start talking to the radio vendors. This is why most agencies bring in a qualified consultant that has been through this many times. It generally is not something that a Public Safety Agency can do on their own. There is too much money involved and you can't make any mistakes.

Now you may have just a small understanding on why it takes so long to implement a new trunking system. I have not even started to describe all the different steps it takes. Time is not on the good side of any agency trying to have a new trunking system installed for them. They also don't normally have enough internal talent to be able to handle a project of this size and complexity on their own.
You mean like this:
Bid on P25 Public Safety Radio System Replacement Project in Denver | Colorado Bid Network
?

Spitfire8520

End of support is coming up in a couple of months.

As pointed out in the above reply, Denver is not just sitting around while their system ages. They began looking for consultants for a replacement in early 2016 and put out a bid earlier this year for a new system. I haven't seen any results from that bid. It is possible they signed a contract behind closed doors and are already working on it. The only information I am aware of is that they want the system migration to be done by December 2018.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Take into consideration with the public safety system that they do have a backup site on Mt Morrison and the public works EDACS system as well. Public safety groups do show up on the public works system currently whenever a subscriber radio is monitoring them.

Weeks before the airport EDACS system shut down the DIA DPD group was simulcast on the public works EDACS system. Since the shutdown it is no longer the case.

snoopyII

I'm fairly close to DIA, here's what I got for a decode:

Notice the change in CC vs. what is reflected in the DB.

FileVersion:8
-TowerInfo
#This section is here for information only. With the exception
#of the Call Sign(s), This data is not Read back into the program at all.
System ID : 00A
System Name :
WACN : 46F45
Tower Number (Decimal): 10-10
Tower Number (Hex) : T0A0A
Tower Description :
Control Capabilities : Data,Voice,Registration
Flavor : Phase 1
Call Sign(s) :
Timestamp : Sat Nov 4 15:25:59 2017

-Tables
#Format: Table ID,Base Freq,Spacing,Input Offset,Assumed/Confirmed,BandWidth,Slots
00,851.00000,0.01250,-45.00000,"Confirmed",0.01250,1

-Frequencies
#Format: Channel,Usage,Frequency(/Slot),Input Channel,Input Frequency(/Slot),Input Explicit(1/0),Hit Count
"00-0029","av",851.36250,"00-0029",806.36250,0,1
"00-0053","av",851.66250,"00-0053",806.66250,0,1
"00-0075","av",851.93750,"00-0075",806.93750,0,1
"00-0123","av",852.53750,"00-0123",807.53750,0,1
"00-0147","av",852.83750,"00-0147",807.83750,0,1
"00-0337","av",855.21250,"00-0337",810.21250,1,1
"00-0377","av",855.71250,"00-0377",810.71250,1,1
"00-0435","av",856.43750,"00-0435",811.43750,0,1
"00-0437","av",856.46250,"00-0437",811.46250,1,1
"00-0497","av",857.21250,"00-0497",812.21250,1,1
"00-0515","a",857.43750,"00-0515",812.43750,0,0
"00-0531","a",857.63750,"00-0531",812.63750,0,0
"00-0537","c",857.71250,"00-0537",812.71250,0,0
"00-0595","a",858.43750,"00-0595",813.43750,0,0
"00-0675","a",859.43750,"00-0675",814.43750,1,0

PJH

Premium Subscriber
On a Harris P25 system, and channel can be designated a control channel IIRC. When I can get back in front of a laptop I’ll compare the two and make adjustments.

I don’t believe uniform products care, but GRE ones do

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, I was able to monitor the DIA EDACS system from my neighborhood in Thornton (about a mile west of I-25 at 98th) but I'm no longer able to hear the new system unless I'm close to the airport.

Spitfire8520

I thought Denver PD/FD was slowly moving to the MARC system? They have TGs on there.

It is very likely that they will end up on MARC, but they still need to build out a simulcast site to provide acceptable citywide radio coverage for public safety. The existing P25 site at Mt Morrison is only intended for the City Services users, much like the City Services EDACS site at the same location. Public safety is business as usual on EDACS until a new site (or system) is in place.

The talkgroups on MARC are more for testing and the small amount of parking enforcement users that have switched to MARC that need to be able to talk to DPD. As a result, the DPD TGs on MARC are not always heard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.