Your NEXT Flagship Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Want to keep us happy? Want our money? Seriously?

Then here is how to do it.

Take the framework of the BCD436/536HP.... The LED color change, and Discriminator Tap Output of the BCD396/996XT or BCD325/996P2, add NXDN and stop playing games with us with issues that pop up. Put it together, with DMR and if you want EDACS PV, though that is about useless in the near future.... Or ditch EDACS PV, and add LTR PassPort! Do this, and you will get the $500.00 scanner market locked to you.

But again, revamp your ideas of honesty, integrity, and customer service.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
PV is still relevant in some areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Not for long with no support. Maybe 3 to 5 years tops till they all start crashing.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
But I agree why am I going to pay $500+ for a scanner where LSM is still an issue when I can spend $100 more for a unication that can handle it

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm to do what a scanner can you need 6 G5

spyscan

Premium Subscriber
Would like to see lithium battery pack with either usb charging like unication. Or drop in charging. Bluetooth on the handhelds. Better vocoder for p25 phase II tdma. Handle simulcast better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k3fs

Honesty would be a huge step up for them. Better yet, deliver the advertised features for the x36 series that are still missing.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm to do what a scanner can you need 6 G5

You missed my point, it’s well past time for LSM to work properly

prplehz

If you can't get the distortion out of Trunked Simulcast Transmissions then don't even release a new scanner.

THIS!

Don't even bother releasing a new scanner if they can't do this. If other units can do this, there is no excuse.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the simulcast issues being a "must have or don't bother releasing" item, I'd add:

- Integrated GPS
- Removable faceplate/remote head for the base/mobile version

garys

Premium Subscriber
Realistically, for the features people here want, we're looking at street prices in the Unication range. That's before we start adding features like DMR, NXDN, Passport LTR, and other add ons. Uniden is unlikely to add everyone's pet project to a scanner intended for wide consumer marketing.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I don't think so. Technologically speaking, all of the items mentioned are capable of being implemented in mass produced consumer scanner equipment in a cost effective manner. What has apparently been lacking is Uniden's willingness to do it. Things like that happen when you don't have strong competition and/or you take your customer base for granted.

radiomankc

As an avid scanner enthusiast since I was 5 years old back in the 70s, I think I can talk somewhat fluently on the state of affairs in the hobby. Unfortunately, this hobby is starting to die. Not because we don’t enjoy it or there isn’t a wealth of technology for us to play with... it is because the technology in public safety is rapidly changing and the business case for building these high end scanners is just not there anymore. With digital technologies changing, simulcast issues, encryption costing less and less money, manufacturers are realizing it is a losing battle. Look how quickly FirstNet is making progress.... there will be no opportunity whatever to ever monitor is going over that platform. P25 Phase I and II systems will be around for awhile but with the current state of affairs (Like Las Vegas), encryption is going to happen quickly. In fact, I know that one particular manufacture was on the phone with all their big system clients that week pushing the importance of encryption. It’s going to happen and we are just going to have to come to that realization. But back to my main point, the business case to continue to offer high end scanners just isn’t there anymore. It would surprise me a bit if we never see a significant update/release of the high end scanners again.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
On-board GPS chip like on the Icom ID-51 to enable automatic zipcode switching.

Faster scan speed.

Multi-color LED alert like on the BCD396XT/996XT.

Better filters to handle simulcast distortion.

It would be nice to have a separate receiver to pick up AM/SSB shortwave transmissions for utility monitoring/amateur radio/broadcast radio.

P25 Phase I and II systems will be around for awhile but with the current state of affairs (Like Las Vegas), encryption is going to happen quickly. In fact, I know that one particular manufacture was on the phone with all their big system clients that week pushing the importance of encryption.

Having encrypted comms would not have prevented the attack in Las Vegas. People are so knee-jerk to react. It's ridiculous.

vocoder

When Uniden solves the LSM problem, great things will happen. The great scanners they currently have would not be passed up for a G4 or G5.
Just look at how many G's are being purchased just so one can listen to the modern way of communications, simulcast trunking.

As more agencies join trunking for various urgent reasons, many more simulcast systems will be built to keep up with this demand. Also, to provide for future expansion and growth of these agencies.
Larger areas of coverage will also be in demand, as communities and agencies grow.

A Uniden scanner that can handle LSM would be just what a listener wants to scan state, county, and local trunking systems on one radio.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
LSM & Bluetooth and I'm sold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluetooth has pretty much already been ruled out as a feature that could be incorporated internally in a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.