Pro-668: A Few Questions on the Legacy Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyscan

1- Are the settings on the scanner intact when returned or must they be redone?
2- Is the firmware up to the latest version at the time?
3- Do any changes have to be made on your SD card or can you just pop it back in?
4- Besides DMR are there any other improvements? Any improvement on P25 Phase 2 reception?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Upgrade

You have to install new CPS software to program. When you go to the Whistler page, they tell you all of the details you need. If you are updating a RS Pro 18, you will have all of the GRE PSR 800 features. I have both radios, and they are now identical in performance and features. My P25 simulcast has always been good, so can't comment on that. P25 gives both Whistler and Uniden owners problems in some areas. Everything was latest version.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
If your on stock RS 668 firmware there are dozens of fixes your missing out on, then there is the software where ezscan has dozens of fixes and additions over iscan.

It will make your 668 into a ws1080....a much better radio which makes for a better experience.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody with a PRO-18 Did the upgrade fix the charger issue that was discussed in the hack firmware? I still am getting 18 and 668 upgraded not using either right now both still stock firmware I just want to upgrade them to make them more useful to me.

fredva

Feed Provider
Not 100% sure what you mean by charger issue, but I can tell you that my PRO-18 lasts a lot longer on batteries after the upgrade than before.

shajen

I had my PRO-668 upgraded by Whistler, and I can tell you that in my case the Phase 2 reception is still
awful. Phase 1 very good. Phase 2 still very loud and somewhat distorted.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I had my PRO-668 upgraded by Whistler, and I can tell you that in my case the Phase 2 reception is still
awful. Phase 1 very good. Phase 2 still very loud and somewhat distorted.

Phase 2 works great in my area. Try tweaking the DSP, and turn the DAC down to lower the volume. I have my dsp at 64 ( go up or down in increments of 10 and tweak from there) My DAC is at -10.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
When the hacked firmware came out we were warned to turn charging off on the 18's as there may be some difference between the 18's and the 800's. This is the question I was asking does it hurn to have the 18's charging circuit on now after the upgrades.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
When the hacked firmware came out we were warned to turn charging off on the 18's as there may be some difference between the 18's and the 800's. This is the question I was asking does it hurn to have the 18's charging circuit on now after the upgrades.

I would turn the charging on.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the answer I had some things come up that put off the 18 and 668 upgrades I had other scanners that would pick up DMR so I was not rushed now that things are better I am getting ready to send them both in for upgrades.

nyscan

From my OP only question not answered is:
3- Do any changes have to be made on your SD card or can you just pop it back in?
Thanks,

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
From my OP only question not answered is:
Thanks,

Yes you can, but to avoid problems, make a archive before you send it out, then follow the directions whistler send with your scanner.

You can always restore from the archive if needed.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
:confused: I thought you were supposed to keep the SD card? :confused:

You DO NOT send the card with the scanner when you send it out to whistler for the legacy upgrade, follow the instructions they send to you. The instructions for sending it are on Whistler's website under Legacy upgrade.

Before you send it and every so often ARCHIVE your data. You use the archive to restore the data to the Micro SD card when something goes wrong.

CycleSycho

You DO NOT send the card with the scanner when you send it out to whistler for the legacy upgrade, follow the instructions they send to you. The instructions for sending it are on Whistler's website under Legacy upgrade.

Before you send it and every so often ARCHIVE your data. You use the archive to restore the data to the Micro SD card when something goes wrong.

:confused: I was answering your post. I can read the instructions from whistler. :confused:

fredva

Feed Provider
:confused: I was answering your post. I can read the instructions from whistler. :confused:

I think there was a misunderstanding. Wackyracer didn't indicate that one couldn't keep the SD card at home. He said "Yes you can" in response to nyscan's question, meaning that one could just put the SD card in the scanner when it was returned, but a backup is recommended.

CycleSycho

I think there was a misunderstanding. Wackyracer didn't indicate that one couldn't keep the SD card at home. He said "Yes you can" in response to nyscan's question, meaning that one could just put the SD card in the scanner when it was returned, but a backup is recommended.

:confused: This part of wackyracer's post ( "make a archive before you send it out" ), makes one think the card is to be sent in with the scanner. I think this has been beaten to death so lets move on? :confused:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Not rocket science here, Just follow the instructions on Whistler's website for the legacy upgrade, then follow the instructions sent when they return the unit to you and you will be good.

*ALWAYS make an archive to fall back on if needed, Because if something should go wrong or user error, without an archive you may have to enter the data all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.