• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik2

Got a new G5 a week ago. Programmed a p25 system into z1/p1 every time I program my town police into z1/p2 it unprograms z1/p1, what am I doing wrong?

troymail

Silent Key
The only thing I think I've seen that comes close to what it sounds like you are describing is that sometimes the PPS doesn't correctly update the boxes on the screen that represent the zone/knob positions properly if you use the arrows to move between zones and knob positions. However, when you leave the configuration and reopen it, the programming/display updates properly.

mik2

G5 programming

If I program z1/p1 then program z1/p2 l will lose z1/p1 on my radio z1/p1 will read unprogrammed. I'm using 2 different profiles. Am I correct in saying that u have to set up a new profile for every zone?

troymail

Silent Key
If I program z1/p1 then program z1/p2 l will lose z1/p1 on my radio z1/p1 will read unprogrammed. I'm using 2 different profiles. Am I correct in saying that u have to set up a new profile for every zone?

No - you can do lots of things in a single profile.... each profile stands on it's own.

The concept of multiple profiles is more about a person or company that manages and programs radios for lots of different customers. In other words, maybe I am paid to program pagers for County A and County B. I'd put County A's programming template into a profile and I'd put County B's programming into a separate/second profile.

Obviously, you can use profiles in other ways but for the most part, unless you have some specific larger purpose (like servicing multiple customers) or keep profiles for different areas that you travel to as a user, you really don't need more than one profile.

If you program z1/p1 in a profile and write to the radio and then create a new profile that leaves z1/p1 empty, uses z1/p2 and then write to the radio, you're just overwriting the first profile.

Create a single profile and program away.

mik2

G5 programming

Tks. Troy deleted 1 profile and put my town on profile #1, it's working well. Hate to be a pain in the butt, but on p1-z1 l have my screen set up so it reads zone 1- waterbury in standby mode, then when transmitting it reads Wby PD disp. Etc. this is a trunked system. On z1-p2 it reads zone 1-Naugatuck in standby mode but when they transmit it just says (to 1) Is there anyway I can make it read Npd disp. This is a p25 conventional channel.

troymail

Silent Key
Tks. Troy deleted 1 profile and put my town on profile #1, it's working well. Hate to be a pain in the butt, but on p1-z1 l have my screen set up so it reads zone 1- waterbury in standby mode, then when transmitting it reads Wby PD disp. Etc. this is a trunked system. On z1-p2 it reads zone 1-Naugatuck in standby mode but when they transmit it just says (to 1) Is there anyway I can make it read Npd disp. This is a p25 conventional channel.

If I understand what you are saying, the "To: [1]" is likely a (default) radio Id... Many P25 conventional channels use TG "1". I've seen this before but I don't currently have any conventional P25 near me.

The things displayed on the Unication are not always the best/most obvious.

I think the best you can do to see the name of the channel is to create one or more knob position(s) with a single channels in Monitor Mode and then create a separate knob position in "Normal Scan" mode and include your Monitor Mode frequencies in that scan list. When you do that, the radio will display something like "Landing On: <xxx>" where xxx is the name you assigned to the conventional frequency.

To test, I just programmed the 5 frequencies of my local NC VIPER trunk site as conventional (see below). If I switch to position 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, all I see are To and From Ids. However, when I switch to position 1 (Scan), I see (funky) ids with the "Landing on" line at the bottom.

Others may chime in with other thoughts which I always welcome so I can learn more too!

Attachments

• conv.jpg
    conv.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,089
Last edited:

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Mik, if you have not figured your programming out this might help. I got my G5 on Friday and it a few hours (and watching the Unication video on YouTube) to figure out what I was doing wrong.

You can set numerous systems into your profile (PPS). When you are ready to set up you zones and channel positions, you just add the TGIDs you want from the list you made in the group ID settings.

My original thought process was I needed a profile for each system and when I tried to write the second systems profile, it overwrote the existing profile.

I have one channel with the most active TGIDs (mainly fire dispatch due to LOTS of encryption on PD) and a channel for each local FD if I need to monitor tactical channels.

One thing I learned the hard way, is not to use the TG monitoring, it will monitor EVERY TG on ALL the systems when you select the channel with it set. I wanted to search for some additional TGIDs on one system so I set that zone/channel to monitor and when I turn to that position, I get all the encrypted channels on all the other systems. :(

troymail

Silent Key
One thing I learned the hard way, is not to use the TG monitoring, it will monitor EVERY TG on ALL the systems when you select the channel with it set. I wanted to search for some additional TGIDs on one system so I set that zone/channel to monitor and when I turn to that position, I get all the encrypted channels on all the other systems. :(

Curious (and not to derail the thread) -- 'TG monitor' will monitor "EVERY TG on ALL of the systems" ?

What does "ALL of the systems" mean? This almost sounds like it is a wildcard across all systems (which could be cool under certain conditions)... or am I misunderstanding the comment?

I'm playing with this now (never tried that option before) -- However, can you elaborate?

EDIT: It is looking to me like the PPS "TG Monitor" setting functions the same as adding a WILDCARD (FFFF / 65535) -- which is like the (on radio controlled) "Monitor" option that was in the "previous" firmware. The WILDCARD (and apparently TG Monitor) allows for monitoring ALL talkgroups being detected on the current control channel. I was thinking your comment meant that the radio would allow you to monitor all systems in the profile which I now see was incorrect understanding on my part. So, there are effectively two methods for adding a WILDCARD to a knob position - a TGID of FFFF or setting the knob position to TG Monitor.

Last edited:

mdsxfire

EDBM
i programmed my county and the neighboring county we run M/A to into a profile for the G5.i dont own one yet but will be buying soon. They are both phase 2 systems wich i know are not supported yet, hopefully in a few months. My question is(hypothetically i know) does anyone think i can use this profile setup and hopefully just change the system setting to phase 2 or do u think i will need an entirely new codeplug? i know none of the answers are going to be absolutely right unless someone from unication is roaming around, just looking for some previous users opinions.

Also anyone with experience programming these to be strictly scanners be willing to look at what i have programmed so far to tell me if i did it correctly?

troymail

Silent Key
i programmed my county and the neighboring county we run M/A to into a profile for the G5.i dont own one yet but will be buying soon. They are both phase 2 systems wich i know are not supported yet, hopefully in a few months. My question is(hypothetically i know) does anyone think i can use this profile setup and hopefully just change the system setting to phase 2 or do u think i will need an entirely new codeplug? i know none of the answers are going to be absolutely right unless someone from unication is roaming around, just looking for some previous users opinions.
I suspect - just like with scanners - you don't need to do anything at all differently regardless of if the talkgroup is Phase 1 or Phase 2. Generally, unless setup by the system admins to be "fixed" as P1 or P2, a talkgroup could be either at various times.
Also anyone with experience programming these to be strictly scanners be willing to look at what i have programmed so far to tell me if i did it correctly?
I'd be happy to take a look. Post it.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G5 Programming

The Phase II upgrade is a firmware update you will download from your dealer you buy the scanner from according to Unication David here on RRef ... OR it will already be loaded on the pager/radio when you buy it if you WAIT until it's out and ready for sale. Those of us with G4-G5s already only have to (buy it$) and run the updater like we usually do for firmware updates after our dealer sends us the link in an email. NO manipulation of the PPS will be needed to "change" anything in the talk-groups.over to Phase II, this is a pager/radio update, unless something IS added to the PPS that we don't yet know about. In my set-up, most my local admin and fireground talkgroups are Phase II. Sometimes Phase 1 and I hear those. I'll hear all when Phase II update is added.

Last edited by a moderator:

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Troymail, I need to really retract my earlier post. I made a programming error for the one channel I set to monitor TG's.

I forgot to change the system from the first (which seems to be the default) to the system I wanted to monitor TG's. So I thought I was getting TG's from ALL the systems I had programmed in.

Basically in the 'knob-trunking system setting' window I didn't change the 'system' in the drop down.

My excuse, I'd only had the G5 for two days and was still figuring out the PPS and made a dumb error. :(

troymail

Silent Key
Troymail, I need to really retract my earlier post. I made a programming error for the one channel I set to monitor TG's.

I forgot to change the system from the first (which seems to be the default) to the system I wanted to monitor TG's. So I thought I was getting TG's from ALL the systems I had programmed in.

Basically in the 'knob-trunking system setting' window I didn't change the 'system' in the drop down.

My excuse, I'd only had the G5 for two days and was still figuring out the PPS and made a dumb error. :(

No problem at all.

I just wanted to get it clarified because your original observation/post if true, would have made alot of people really happy (almost).

As I say all the time - we're all learning every day!

mdsxfire

EDBM
With the G5 is only the 700-800 band digital and able to trunk p25 systems, when looking at the pager to purchase it says “select analog band” them gives u VHF or UHF options. My home system is a 700-800 p25 system but the other system I want to program is a p25 500 digital system

troymail

Silent Key
With the G5 is only the 700-800 band digital and able to trunk p25 systems, when looking at the pager to purchase it says “select analog band” them gives u VHF or UHF options. My home system is a 700-800 p25 system but the other system I want to program is a p25 500 digital system

It does both conventional and trunked in the bands your selected model supports.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber

The G4 is 7/800 only. The G5 is dual band, and of those two you would want the 7/8 UHF 450-520 version. Whatever site you are looking at shouldn't be calling it an analog band as it does P25 there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.