Fort Belvoir Fire Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
Hello I was wondering if anyone has Fort Belvoir's FD programmed in a scanner. I am currently trying to work on programming it on to a BC296D but I'm not sure I have set it up right. I'm using the ProScan software and used the database option to load the control channels and talkgroups for FB (found here for reference https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4699 )(and I'm only adding the talkgroups for FD). I'm asking in the VA forum in hopes someone may have already done this and can help me out because I'm lost.

KI4SXZ

They do almost all responding on the Fairfax County System. The base system is mostly just fire marshals and prevention stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
No, I know people who work there. They do use Fairfax 41 channels as back-up, and use a Fairfax channel when responding with Fairfax. But when they run incidents on post, they use their own channels.

KI4SXZ

For smells and bells. Anything outside of that (real calls worth listening to) are on the county system because of incoming units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
Mike, I am talking about the actual FB Fire department frequencies. I would like to figure out exactly what they are and put them onto my 296D. I would also (eventually) be putting the backup Fairfax channels on as well.

I don't have the money as of now for a scanner that can do Fairfax County (or any other FD around me really) so I am trying to make the best with what I have. If that means listening to Fort Belvoir run medicals and fire alarms, then hey I'm happy.

fredva

Feed Provider
Based solely on the database and not from personal listening, it appears that you need to enter the Fort Belvoir site frequencies and would want talkgroups

But you may already have that.

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
Wow there's a lot of "Mike"s on here lol. But yes Mike, I already plugged all of that into the scanner. I'm just not hearing any fire traffic. I'm picking up random traffic, but none of it fire related. So I'm starting to wonder if they are on a system that isn't listed.

fredva

Feed Provider
Try putting in a wildcard for the talkgroups instead of those specific talkgroup numbers, assuming that scanner allows wildcards. If they are using the JNCR system but the talkgroup numbers listed are outdated, a wildcard should help you find and hear the correct talkgroups.

Another possibility is that they have encrypted the talkgroups, which means you wouldn't be able to listen no matter what.

Regarding the Fairfax Co. P25 system, I wouldn't give up on listening to that just yet. It's listed as a P25 Phase 2 system; however, the talkgroups appear to be Phase 1. Because it is identified as a Phase 2 system in the database, your software might prevent you from downloading frequencies and talkgroups. However, you might be able to enter the frequencies and talkgroups manually and still be able to listen. It would be helpful if somebody who is a listener of Fairfax County could chime in and confirm that a Phase 1 scanner still works.

rnehls

Premium Subscriber
Yes a Phase 1 scanner will still work on the system today. The system has phase 2 capabilities but is not as of today being utilized as phase 2.

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
Try putting in a wildcard for the talkgroups instead of those specific talkgroup numbers, assuming that scanner allows wildcards. If they are using the JNCR system but the talkgroup numbers listed are outdated, a wildcard should help you find and hear the correct talkgroups.

Would you elaborate a bit on the wildcard thing?

Yes a Phase 1 scanner will still work on the system today. The system has phase 2 capabilities but is not as of today being utilized as phase 2.

I'll have to play around with that.

fredva

Feed Provider
Not familiar with that particular scanner or the ProScan software. However, the "wildcard" function is called ID Search on that scanner. I found the manual online. Below are instructions from the scanner manual, but you can probably set this in the software as well:

If you want to hear all activity on a system, use the ID Search
mode. While scanning a trunking system, press
SEARCH
while scanning that system; or, press and hold
TRUNK
until
the scanner flashes
READY TO ID SEARCH
. The
BC296D stops on every active talkgroup, regardless of
whether you have programmed it into your scanner.
Notes:
•
If you have not yet programmed any ID’s for the
system, this is the only mode available.
•
In the ID search mode, the scanner displays the
alpha tags associated with the stored talkgroups or
NEW for talkgroups you have not stored.

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
Not familiar with that particular scanner or the ProScan software. However, the "wildcard" function is called ID Search on that scanner. I found the manual online. Below are instructions from the scanner manual, but you can probably set this in the software as well:

If you want to hear all activity on a system, use the ID Search
mode. While scanning a trunking system, press
SEARCH
while scanning that system; or, press and hold
TRUNK
until
the scanner flashes
READY TO ID SEARCH
. The
BC296D stops on every active talkgroup, regardless of
whether you have programmed it into your scanner.
Notes:

If you have not yet programmed any ID’s for the
system, this is the only mode available.

In the ID search mode, the scanner displays the
alpha tags associated with the stored talkgroups or
NEW for talkgroups you have not stored.

Ahhhh, ok yes. I will be doing this soon. I haven't yet had the chance too.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would imagine ProScan has the ability to log the talkgroups as you encounter them, but there's another much smaller software package called IDTracker which will do this - and it's free. Here's the URL;

https://www.ovscan.com/idtmirror/IDTracker.htm

It should be stressed that IDTracker won't program your scanner - but it is a very competent logging application.

Mike

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
I would imagine ProScan has the ability to log the talkgroups as you encounter them, but there's another much smaller software package called IDTracker which will do this - and it's free. Here's the URL;

https://www.ovscan.com/idtmirror/IDTracker.htm

It should be stressed that IDTracker won't program your scanner - but it is a very competent logging application.

Mike

Cool thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.