Philadelphia police vehicle mobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafd55

I'm from out of the area and I have a quick question about the PPD's vehicles. I've noticed that most of not all patrol vehicles don't have radio antennas, are they mounted in the interior?

bk117

I'm from out of the area and I have a quick question about the PPD's vehicles. I've noticed that most of not all patrol vehicles don't have radio antennas, are they mounted in the interior?

Most of the cars don’t have radio’s. Each officer has a portable and the system is designed for true portable coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC3ECJ

What if they go on a chase though? How far out of the city do they get decent coverage?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
What if they go on a chase though? How far out of the city do they get decent coverage?

Columbus, GA ditto

If they chase out of the jurisdiction, hopefully, that other jurisdiction has been notified of the action headed their way.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
The department policy as far as I know is 1 unit proceeds with the chase into the next county or city and the rest usually break off. Doesn't always happen that way lol. That being said I have heard them as far as the edge of the Pennsylvania/Delaware State line and as far north as deep bucks county.

mlmummert

The department policy as far as I know is 1 unit proceeds with the chase into the next county or city and the rest usually break off. Doesn't always happen that way lol. That being said I have heard them as far as the edge of the Pennsylvania/Delaware State line and as far north as deep bucks county.

Do they have communications with anybody outside of the City?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It would not be at all practical for any of the jurisdictions to isolate themselves from the others. The criminal element would be quick to take advantage of that.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
I'd be willing to bet that even before there are actual 2-way comms, that each municipality that borders Philly is already actively monitoring the applicable philly pd talk group that borders them.

I've been listening to scanner for a long time, I live on the border of West Philly in Delaware County, PA, (DELCO) I go back to when most of DELCO was using low band VHF and the city was on low UHF. I've heard chases from here into the city and vice versa over the years and from what I've heard it takes a good 5 minutes for the other to catch up to the conversation.

Now I did know a couple of nearby DELCO towns used a scanner in their car to monitor surrounding towns, but nothing to talk directly to them. One example is East Lansdowne, which is completely surrounded by Upper Darby, before both were on DELCOM and could switch freq. I used to hear EL tell other towns nearby towns, Lansdowne, Yeadon, what UD had going on and to keep an eye out.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Rarely do cars have the adjacent towns' frequencies. As often as not, the systems are not compatible. However, the dispatch center often have compatible radios.

Several years ago, some of the counties adjacent to Columbus used our trunked system. Those Columbus beats near the county line had access to the other county's talk groups. Those counties have been deprecated for whatever reason and that's not the case now.

phillydjdan

Philly 99.9% of the time does not engage in pursuits. You have to pretty much try and kill a cop for them to chase you. No, patrol units have no way to communicate with surrounding agencies. I know Bucks does not monitor thier neighboring Philly district. The tac-air helos have all surrounding agency channels and do have assigned radio IDs on the Bucks system. They also have Police National 155.475. I have heard the helo go as far as Edison NJ in a pursuit. That was a rare one though lol. They werr preparing to notify NYC traffic control when the perp got off the NJ Turnpike lol

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Delaware County and Philadelphia have the ability to talk via patches I assume they can do the same with Montgomery County and Chester County. The only agency I know philly has direct interoperability with is the septa transit police. You often hear transit police on j band talking to philly and septa radio rebroadcast j band also septa frequently backs philly pd on priority calls. Shootings stabbings fights robberies etc.

KC3ECJ

What about the PA State Police?

Do the ones assiged to the Philly area normally have radios in the cars able to talk to the Philadelphia city cops?

radio3353

Philly 99.9% of the time does not engage in pursuits. You have to pretty much try and kill a cop for them to chase you.

If that is true, thanks for putting that out there. That knowledge will be useful to a lot of people lol.

Danny37

If that is true, thanks for putting that out there. That knowledge will be useful to a lot of people lol.

NYC is also the same, they terminate 99% vehicle pursuits. Most of the time when they do chase someone it usually ends up with injuries and accidents.

radio3353

NYC is also the same, they terminate 99% vehicle pursuits. Most of the time when they do chase someone it usually ends up with injuries and accidents.

Good to know. :lol: I'm sure the PDs who monitor this board appreciate this information getting publicized. How not to make friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.