Recommendations for Power Supply for HF Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
I'm a new General Class licensee and just ordered my first HF transceiver. Prior to this I had experience with Communications Receivers. I am didn't realize that the transceivers are powered by 13.8 DC. So I am looking for a relativity low cost 13.8 power supply recommendation. I am new to amateur radio so I am not familiar with the various terms, linear, regulated, etc.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are a lot of options out there for 12 volt power supplies.
You'll hear of "linear" supplies, that run off transformers as the step down, rectifier and filters. They work well, are heavy, less energy efficient.
You'll also hear of "switching supplies". These use switching power supplies, like in your computer. They are usually smaller, more efficient and modern ones will work just fine.

Often, what you'll hear people saying about the two is that switching power supplies can create too much RF noise on the HF bands. True, older ones often did. Cheap, poorly designed/filtered ones will to. But a good switching power supply from a reputable manufacturer that builds power supplies for communications use will work just fine. The modern HF rigs with built in power supplies, modern repeaters, base stations, etc. all use switching power supplies successfully.

I'd recommend doing your own research on the subject. Be careful of people saying you can only use linear power supplies. Look for known name brand equipment, be wary of the low cost stuff out of China, this isn't a place you want to cut corners on your system

As for sizing, your HF rig probably pull somewhere between 20 and 25 amps when running full power. You'd really want a power supply that will provide at least what the radio manufacturer says the radio will draw. One clue to look at is what size fuses they include in the DC power leads.

If you plan on adding more radios down the road, like VHF, UHF, etc. you'll want even more capacity to run that gear. Consider if you will ever be transmitting with more than one radio at a time, and size accordingly. Or, consider having more than one power supply to run your other radios.

Also, if you suffer a lot of power outages, there are power supplies that will allow you to connect a back up battery to the system. Sometimes these are call "Battery Revert" power supplies. You can connect a suitable 12 volt battery and the power supply will keep it charged. When the utility power fails, the battery can take over.

Another option you might hear about is people that will set up some 12 volt solar panels on the roof, connected to a solar controller, feeding a battery bank. Considering that most amateurs are not running 24x7, this can be a good solution. Free power from the sun, and not impacted by power outages. Of course the solar panels can be expensive….

As for "regulated", you do want that, but you'd have a hard time finding a power supply in this size that isn't. Basically it means the power supply has a way of "regulating" the output voltage as the load on the power supply changes.

Shop around, do your research, ask questions. There are a lot of options out there, and a lot of knowledgeable people that can help.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
mmckenna provided some great information there. I do not disagree with any of it.

I will share my experience with three power supplies.

1. Powerwerx SS-30DV - 25/30 Amp switching - $120
I have occasionally used this with HF and VHF/UHF mobile radios. It powers them fine. One day I happened to be dialing around on 6m with an HF radio using a different power source and I noticed a lot of RF noise that normally was not there. I switched the Powerwerx of and on several times and confirmed the noise was caused by that switching power supply. I tested other HF bands and the RFI was only apparent on 6m. I still have/use it and just remember that it will give me noise on 6m.

2. Samlex 1223 - 23/25 Amp switching - SEC-1223 - $115
This switching power supply was a workhorse for five years. I probably turned it off five times during the five years. It was used almost daily so I just left it on. It powered an HF and mobile radio simultaneously, I just never transmitted on both at the same time. It is still working, but it was replaced with a linear power supply.

3. Astron RS-35A - 25/35 Amp linear - $180
For around $60 more I prefer the additional amperage. This now powers the HF and mobile radios with amperage to spare. The energy use will cost me a few dollars more over the years to power my radios but the cost is negligible. I should have purchased this linear power supply right from the start. Still, the switching power supplies come in handy for field day or other club events, as well as powering other gear when needed.

The next Astron linear power supply up from this is 35 amp continuous / 50 amp peak and it is $280.

Besides the additional bandwidth you can transmit on, the difference from Technician to General is the amount of money you will spend on gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

edweirdFL

TekPower TP50SW 50 Amp 13.8V Analog DC Power Supply with Cigarette Plug

I was looking at used Astron power supplies but the shipping costs were comparatively high due to the weight of the units. I thought about switching power supplies but was worried about RF noise on HF. I read some reviews and decided to purchase a new switching power supply off of Amazon.

It's the TekPower TP50SW 50 Amp 13.8V Analog DC Power Supply with Cigarette Plug which has both post terminals on the back, and a 12V plug on the front. It has a meter that displays volts or amps. There are two adjustment knobs. One for voltage, and one for doing something to move any noise it might be creating off frequency. I haven't had to use that last one, and haven't detected any RFI from the unit. It's been powering my Icom IC-7300 just fine and I use the 12V socket to charge my HT sometimes. I don't hear any fan noise from these units.

I liked it so much that when I picked up a Icom IC-7100 I bought a second one to use with it in my home. Link to the unit on Amazon. http://amzn.to/2AbeXqk

N4KVE

I use the Samlex, Astron, & MFJ4230 switching power supplies for my UHF, & 900MHz radios. For HF I use the Astron RS35M HEAVY unit. There is no shortage of used ones for $75 at a ham fest near you. The last one I got was given to me for free because the owner complained it was too heavy. Works perfectly. For HF, that's what I would use. By the way, while people laugh about the lack of quality in MFJ products, the 4230 is made by somebody else, & also sold under the Jetstream, & QJE name. Both of mine have been perfect for several years now, but again only used on non HF radios.

SCPD

QRT
Hi AZ.... :)

I recommend the Astron power supplies without any reservations. I have several for my own use, and any number at work.
I can say (knocking on wood ... ;) ) that in years and years and years of use, in situations that have varied from the humid tropic to the frozen tundra-- run on clean commercial AC to really crappy generators- I Never !! had one fail me..... which is something I can't say for other manufacturers. Having had equipment 'fried' because of regulator failures, I remain to this day quite jade about any power supplies- so saying: even though I have implicit trust in the Asrons- I always purchase them meters-- I want to know what those supplies are doing!
The Astron RS-20M (M for meter'd) will run any 100 watt ham XCVR like a walk in the park... She gets my star recommendation.............. :)
.........................CF

n5ims

One thing I didn't see mentioned (I may have missed it though, but it bears repeating anyway). Power supplies have two ratings, peak (power available for very short periods - think a couple of seconds), and continuous (just like it sounds, for fairly long periods of time). Both are important, but often it's difficult to find both numbers without carefully reading the specs and/or manual. The peak rating will nearly always be higher than the continuous rating.

For example, this Astron 35 amp power supply (https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/asr-rs-35m) specifies that it will provide 35 amps peak but only 25 amps continuous. If your radio draws more than 25 amps on transmit, you will probably experience problems. This may be anything from reduced output power to the radio cutting off during long transmissions.

Often a radio will list the continuous power rating while most power supplies will list the peak rating. The radio's fuse rating will generally be the peak rating so it isn't too hard to figure out both for the typical radio.

N3FOL

Power Supplies

I have about 3 different brands of power supplies. Astron, Alinco and MFJ. Either one will do. 30 amps or more is ample enough. Happy Shopping. :)

Rred

Also bear in mind, the "12" volt ham supplies can usually be set to 13.8 volts, to make your radio happy. While there are really dirt cheap "12" volt digital supplies out there (i.e. Amazon) it can be hard to figure out which ones can be set to 13.8v, and no-name supplies may have lots of interference, and other issues.

Many radios will say something like "13.8VDC +-10%" or 15%, and some of them really get upset as the voltage drops. If your radio is rated +-10%, it won't be happy with a 12v source. The signal may be very week and outright corrupt.

If you look at reviews and ratings, you'll find some power supplies are rated to create less interference (i.e. birdies) and to have more options to correct any problems. If there's a ham flea market in your area or a hamfest, try looking for an old analog supply. The big heavy transformers usually run forever if they run at all, and the rest is easy to fix. No interference problems at all, you just need to be able to lift them.(G)

Rred

Just a heads-up. Computer power supplies, exposed to the "utility grade" mains power with all the spikes that come on it, are or were the component most likely to fail in computer racks. Which is why you often find them in sets of two, with live redundant power supplies for each rack. Curiously enough, that looks like a normal pair of them, possibly being pulled because of age. Certainly cheap enough, but the reliability long-term under high load might be questioned.

N4KVE

Most 2 way radio power supplies while labeled 12 volts, are really 13.8, because that's what radios like, & the voltage in a car with the engine running can vary between 13-14.2 volts, or even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.