HDSDR Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I've been using SDR# for some time now trying HDSDR. When using the same RTL type USB receiver and antenna I'm getting much lower signal strength using HDSDR. I have the gain settings and PPM adjusted exactly as it is in SDR# but signal strength remains very low. I'm testing on the local VHF weather broadcast as it is a good reference station to tune these devices up on and test them.

The carrier signal strength on HDSDR is 40-50 dbm lower than using SDR# as is the noise floor.

I'm guessing I'm missing something in the settings somewhere. Been messing around with it for 2 days off and on and can't figure it out.

Also, is there a way to make the band scope section of the display larger? Can't figure that out either.

Any assistance appreciated. :D

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Skypilot007,

As a user of both HDSDR and SDR# for several years I''ve found SDR# in general receives weak signals much better than HDSDR but I cannot rule out operator ignorance as the cause, at least in my case. There are so many settings on these software programs, plus the computer card itself that can affect performance. But generally I find SDR# to be my go-to program for the most part.

I do like the large S meter that HDSDR has though. It also has a great audio spectrum display. Hopefully others will weigh in here with their experience.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
HDSDR vs SDR#

Try comparing HDSDR to SDR Console V3. Both use dbm as the reference. SDR# uses dbFS which I
have never seen before. I am old school and used 0 dbm which is 1 milliwatt across a 50 ohm load and
reads .224 volts RMS with an RF meter. HDSDR and SDR Console reads different values but they are
closer to each other than SDR#. I hope this is right, its been a long time since I used a HP-608d.

Mil

PS Whats the formula for finding voltage if you know power and resistance? Way to many grey hairs!
Google to the rescue: V= square root of power times resistance. Square root of .001 *50= .224

Status
Not open for further replies.