Fast Food Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishayan

I have been out of the groove of hard core VHF/UHF DXing or scanning for about the last 3 years, but I am buying some new equipment and next month will be returning to the states and plan to get back to it. So, I was just wondering about the low power fast food window transmissions on low band, high band and UHF band, are they still there? Can you still hear McDonalds on 30.62 I think it was, and others on 154.57 and 154.60 and Wendys up on the 467 Mhz band? Or have they changed to more modern systems?...and what about cordless phones on 900 Mhz...Have they all completely disappeared?...Thanks.

wtp

it seems

some have go too high or a system that can't be heard or found on scanners.
if i remember some might be up around 4Ghz or spread spectrum.
have fun hunting.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I believe that if I found someone listening to my phone calls I would hide their scanner on them in a place that would require medical expertise to remove.

Will001

Premium Subscriber

ecps92

Not many left [atleast in New England] for the Lo/Hi combination.
Many are still avail in the 457/467 altho others have expanded into the rest of the 460-470 Band and many many more have gone 900 Mhz Spreadspectrum

Welcome back into the Hobby
I have been out of the groove of hard core VHF/UHF DXing or scanning for about the last 3 years, but I am buying some new equipment and next month will be returning to the states and plan to get back to it. So, I was just wondering about the low power fast food window transmissions on low band, high band and UHF band, are they still there? Can you still hear McDonalds on 30.62 I think it was, and others on 154.57 and 154.60 and Wendys up on the 467 Mhz band? Or have they changed to more modern systems?...and what about cordless phones on 900 Mhz...Have they all completely disappeared?...Thanks.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gents, let's try to be a little more civil. The OP asked a question about listening to certain frequencies. If you can provide an answer directly related to his question, post away.

Thanks.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Hey Rishayan,
One evening, I was waiting in line and managed to get a good look at the box on the wall at the local McDonalds that appeared to be managing the headsets, etc. I can't remember the brand now but at the time, I went home and searched it and found that the company used digital in the 2.4 GHz range for the headsets, etc. I used to be able to pick up a number of fast food places but not lately.

However, scanning the MURS, GMRS and "color dot and star" frequencies, I am able to pick up all kind of stuff around town like retail places using two way (Wal-Mart, Petsmart, Office Depot, restaurants, etc).

If I get a chance to get the brand on one of these systems again, I will post a link to their website/products!
Happy Scanning! :)

SCPD

QRT
Before most went to the ghz type headsets and drive thru systems I would find them in low band, they were very low power. This was around 1990s to 2000. Least out west they would be licensed in the low band area. I do recall a couple taco bells being licensed and using 154.515 for the head sets. This was in 95.

I typically would find them in low band however just scanning when I was bored traveling.

ecps92

LMGTFY

Hey Rishayan,
One evening, I was waiting in line and managed to get a good look at the box on the wall at the local McDonalds that appeared to be managing the headsets, etc. I can't remember the brand now but at the time, I went home and searched it and found that the company used digital in the 2.4 GHz range for the headsets, etc. I used to be able to pick up a number of fast food places but not lately.

However, scanning the MURS, GMRS and "color dot and star" frequencies, I am able to pick up all kind of stuff around town like retail places using two way (Wal-Mart, Petsmart, Office Depot, restaurants, etc).

If I get a chance to get the brand on one of these systems again, I will post a link to their website/products!

djg320

Premium Subscriber
Hey Rishayan,

Most of the businesses with drive-throughs around here use HME setups and have throughout the years. See a lot of older gray boxes on the walls. Drive-Thru Headset | Drive-Thru Headset Systems |EOS HD® | HME

bailly2

4 years ago i heard taco bell on 457.5125 and just 2 years ago burger king on 30.84. it was a great source of entertainment. one guy sounded like a cartoon walruses, me and my brother were laughing hard for like 5 minutes, great until people with two way radios started messing with them more than usual i guess. now they are using spread spectrum frequency hopping radios like they are protecting classified information or something. i bet they would not have switched if they did not post it to youtube

yaesu_dave

I live in Ogden, UT, and most of the fast food restaurants in the area still use ordering systems in the 457 and 469 MHz ranges. McDonald's is on 469.0125, the local taco shop is on 457.5125, and Wendy's uses 457.5625. There's even one local hamburger joint that's still on VHF low band @ 33.400, but most fast food places long ago migrated to UHF and higher frequencies. McDonald's quit using the 154 MHz itinerant frequencies shortly after the MURS service was established in 2000 because of MURS radios transmitting on 154.570 and 154.600, although my local Wal Mart still uses radios on 154.600. I recall reading stories about people parking at Mickey Dee's and raising Cain with MURS radios while people were trying to place orders at the drive through!

Rishayan

Thanks yaesu dave for your report....There are no fast food places near where I am at presently, but as soon as I have a chance I plan to check out some places to see how their systems have changed over the years....According to my files, as late as 2008, Burger King, Taco Bell and KFC were still using 33.40/154.54 systems in this region of Pennsylvania where I am currently at. Also, at that time, I recorded at least 16 places using 457.5125 and 457.5625. Also, I had found a Wendys a few years ago who was using a WFM setup on 928 Mhz. Recently I did a little search on the low band, and was surprised to hear that the low band is still used in 2017 by several fire, police, school bus, business and utility users. The only difference I noted is that the mayority of them now use repeater systems( or simulcasts) rather than simplex, which was the norm 10 years ago.

JDrisc3480

I cannot speak for the 900Mhz, but I can say that it is still possible to pick up the fast food window transmissions. Not exactly sure of the frequency as I keep my scanner set to the my counties fire dispatch frequency. Even with it locked on that frequency whenever I would drive through one of the little towns in NC I would pick up the Hardyees drive through. I laughed for about 20 minutes when I first heard it, and then again when I told my wife about it. I had to take her out there so she could hear it for herself because she did not believe me.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Rishayan,

Low band VHF (30 - 50 megs) is still in use in my area for some first responders so check the frequency databases for possibilities in your location.

Having an SDR (Software Defined Radio) is a good way of finding active frequencies because you can see a "slice" of spectrum as wide as a mHz or two on a computer screen. But that's whole other subject in itself.

I found that some wireless headphones operate around 915 mHz as we have one. Just a tidbit of info. Now if I can just find a way to transmit on this frequency while the wife is using it...hi hi.

Enjoy scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.