• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Programming - 2-Tone alert - Voice on P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtffkev

I just received a G5 radio for use at work.

Following the tutorials and videos I've gotten a grasp of programming the 2-tone alerts and monitoring the voice traffic from dispatch on the NC Viper P25 system.

Our system uses a 2-tone system on an analog VHF system to activate pagers for our EMS and Fire departments (typically a minitor). Voice traffic needs to be monitored on the NC Viper system. What I am trying to do, and have not been able to find the information on how, is monitor for an alert tone on our VHF system. Once the system is received, monitor the subsequent dispatch traffic on the VIPER system.

Is this possible? If so, can anyone give me some direction?

Thank you for your assistance.

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
you would have to set up the control knob position on the top and manual switch over to the viper system

there are 8 positions and you can program whatever you want for each
but will have to switch manually

Gilligan

Database Admin
I could be wrong but I think i remember reading that going from conventional to trunked would require using separate "zones", so that you couldn't use multiple positions within the same zone for this. Can anyone verify this?

hiddenrun

Premium Subscriber
I could be wrong but I think i remember reading that going from conventional to trunked would require using separate "zones", so that you couldn't use multiple positions within the same zone for this. Can anyone verify this?

No need for separate zones if you don't need them.

The G5 has 8 knob positions and here is a sample setup.

Knob 1 - Selective call Alert for your VHF Analog 2-tone
Knob 2 - Monitor your Analog VHF
Knob 3 - Scan all your Operations Talkgroups on P25 Digital System (VIPER)
Knob 4 - Monitor Fire OPS 1 (VIPER)
Knob 5 - Monitor Fire OPS 2 (VIPER)
Knob 6 - Monitor Fire OPS 3 (VIPER)
Knob 7 - Scan a neighboring P25 system
Knob 8 - Monitor PD an a different system

Just switch between knob positions when you want to lock on a talkgroup, program single talkgroups on a single knob position that way when you want to monitor a certain talkgroup you can switch to that to be "locked" on only that talkgroup.

If you need more knob positions, you can then build more zone on the G5 and mix or match systems

Gilligan

Database Admin
Would this also apply then for QCII over P25 (instead of analog) and regular P25 monitoring within the same zone, using separate knob positions? So that Knob 1 could be alerting QCII over P25 and then Knob 2 could be regular talkgroups, for example... Ideally in my area I would probably set up multiple zones of P25 alerting tones and then have an entire zone or two dedicated to monitoring of specific talkgroup combinations.

hiddenrun

Premium Subscriber
Would this also apply then for QCII over P25 (instead of analog) and regular P25 monitoring within the same zone, using separate knob positions? So that Knob 1 could be alerting QCII over P25 and then Knob 2 could be regular talkgroups, for example... Ideally in my area I would probably set up multiple zones of P25 alerting tones and then have an entire zone or two dedicated to monitoring of specific talkgroup combinations.

Yes, you could setup QCII on Knob 1 and after it alerts it would revert to a scan list or just monitor the dispatch TG.
There are many ways the G5 can be set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.