HP-1: Can I use Earthmate LT-20 with HP1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Was wondering if I can link an Earthmate LT-20 GPS puck to my HP1 ?
The LT-20 has a regular ups plug.

Does anyone make an adapter go from usb to the gps connector on the HP1 ?

Thank you for any information.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not easily. Most USB-RS-232 adapters go the other way--USB client to RS-232 rather than RS-232 to USB host.

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Not easily. Most USB-RS-232 adapters go the other way--USB client to RS-232 rather than RS-232 to USB host.

My LT-20 has a USB cable, not sure the RS-232 is what I'd be looking for.

Do they make an adaptor to go from normal USB to the HP1 USB socket ?

Does anyone know what the plug is called on the HP1 ?

155025884_delorme-earthmate-gps-lt-20-usb-gps-laptop-receiver-.jpg

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You need RS-232 because the GPS port on the scanner is NOT USB, it requires NMEA-format RS-232 input signals. It also does not have power, so you would have to find an unused pin on the port and wire power to it to power both the USB-RS232 adapter and the Earthmate, or else fabricate a Y-cable that would supply power to the GPS and connect to the scanner.

It is totally not worth the time and hassle. You'd be better off installing a module that outputs RS-232 signals natively in the scanner itself.

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
You need RS-232 because the GPS port on the scanner is NOT USB, it requires NMEA-format RS-232 input signals. It also does not have power, so you would have to find an unused pin on the port and wire power to it to power both the USB-RS232 adapter and the Earthmate, or else fabricate a Y-cable that would supply power to the GPS and connect to the scanner.

It is totally not worth the time and hassle. You'd be better off installing a module that outputs RS-232 signals natively in the scanner itself.

Okay, good information, thank you.

One more question, I was wondering, how is the HP1 / HP2 generally viewed by the members here ?

I ask because with my experience in selling various scanners when I was with RadioShack for 18 years as a manager, it proved to be a very easy scanner to sell, as the ease of not needing a computer to program a location was a great selling point. While showing customers, mostly "snowbirds" I would ask, what your zipcode back home, they were delighted in the fact, hey I can do that. They would see the scanner program itself in seconds, and realized they would not need to rely on a guru.

90% of our customers relied on our employees to program the other scanners for them, which we did to provide good customer service & get the sale. We would update the firmware & data ahead of time, so the customers would have the latest s/w.

I got to the point where I could program most by hand w/o a computer, I always got a kick out of using a computer to set up scanners, setting the led colors, locking out various talk groups, but I love the HP1's ease of use.

I'd tell my customers this is the easiest scanner to use, but has the most sophisticated features.

So long question short, are the HP1 / HP2 viewed as the red headed step child or is it liked by the forum members?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Okay, good information, thank you.

One more question, I was wondering, how is the HP1 / HP2 generally viewed by the members here ?
they
I have one of each plus a 436. The HPs are not the best receivers but, for most people but they are good receivers. Ease in programming and easy-to-read screen make them perfect for many, especially the casual user. The really serious hobbyist should probably look to other models.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 436 also has the capability of DMR and Provoice upgrades the HomePatrols do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.