• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-2017 DMR programming confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9medic

Premium Subscriber
I'm running into an issue programming some DMR frequencies into an MD-2017 and I can't be the only one who has come across this.

Basically, I have two separate contacts that are on different color codes yet have the same talk group ID.

When I try to program the radio it says that I already have the talk group assigned and it won't let me program the second contact..

For example -
Tac 1 - Color code 6, Group 100, time slot 2
Tac 2 - color code 1, Group 100, time slot 2

Any ideas how to get this programmed?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The Talk Group number (TG#) is all that is important. The "Name" you give it is for your eyes only. Obviously the two channels are on two separate repeaters, since a repeater can only have one Color Code.

However, what you can not do is assign both contacts into the same Scan List.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
You can't have the same TG ID with different names. You would need to create separate channels for the different names. Then add them to a zone..
Try that and see if that helps

k9medic

Premium Subscriber
Can somebody "translate" this for me? This seems to be what I am up against.

"There cannot be two contacts with the same “Call ID.” When programming different repeaters, potentially on different networks, all talk groups for all c-Bridges are entered as contacts. If two networks label a talk group differently for the same ID, a generic name will have to be chosen such as “3333” or “Group 3333.” On the other hand, “Example talk group” is 3333 on one network and 3344 on another, then two differently named contacts have to be created for the same talk group."

Jimbo695

I had similar programming questions that I presented in another forum. Here's the bottom line. If you need Worldwide talkgroup 1 for your amateur zone, and you also want to monitor a local system that uses TG 1 for its warehouse, when you set up TG 1 in the amateur zone call it Worldwide 1 and when you set up a new zone for the local system just call it Warehouse 1. Then there's no conflict with the programming for the amateur zone.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Tac 1 CENTRAL- Color code 6, Group 100, time slot 2
Tac 2 NORTHERN - color code 1, Group 100, time slot 2

Change the names to something like this then it will work

k9medic

Premium Subscriber
I tried this too.

I started by creating a contact where i assign a name and a talk group (100 in this case) I then create a channel and assign the name the color code and time slot.

When I repeate the process with a new contact name and assign a talk group (100) it tells me I can’t assign it as it’s a duplicate.

For the life of me I have no idea why this is happening. Analog is no issue.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can't have multiple contacts with the same ID number.

But you can use the same contact as many times as you like when programming channels.

Jimbo695

Are you doing all of this in the same zone? You can't share TG numbers in the same zone no matter what you call them. Set up a new zone.

k9medic

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to enter them in the digital contact section of the programming software.

The software has 5 columns for creating a contact -

Number (which is pre assigned 1-?)
Contact name
Call type (group, private or all)
Call ID (talk group?)
Call Receive Tone (yes/no)

When I start it pre-populates the first column. I add a name (xyz), select group as the call type, enter in the talk group number and call receive tone is selected as no.

Last edited:

Jimbo695

OK, we're getting closer. In your contacts you can only enter a TG number once. So let's say you first set up an amateur contact list and use WW TG 1. Now, that commercial system we're using as an example has the Warehouse as TG 1. You don't try to enter another TG 1 in your contacts list; you can't since it's already used. When you set up your amateur channel you selected WW1 from your contact list, right? Now, when you set up the channels for the new system, you can CALL the channel "Warehouse" but when you select a CONTACT you select WW TG 1, already in your contact list. The commercial system uses TG 1 for Warehouse and the amateur system uses TG 1 for Worldwide. What's important is thevTG number not what you call it.

k9medic

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I think I finally figured it out with your clarifications! I'm going to start writing and see what happens!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I'm running into an issue programming some DMR frequencies into an MD-2017 and I can't be the only one who has come across this.

Basically, I have two separate contacts that are on different color codes yet have the same talk group ID.

When I try to program the radio it says that I already have the talk group assigned and it won't let me program the second contact..

For example -
Tac 1 - Color code 6, Group 100, time slot 2
Tac 2 - color code 1, Group 100, time slot 2

Any ideas how to get this programmed?

Kind of like this?

OK it won't load the files..Darn it!

Attachments

• 2017-11-04.jpg
    2017-11-04.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,216
Last edited:

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Kind of like this?

OK it won't load the files..Darn it!
Why is it so hard to setup dmr radios, with 1 frequency, then setup a tg list that would also store the slot number for each tg and have it tied to just that 1 dmr system...... this waste of space having to do a frequency for every tg is a joke.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bjornepappa

Why is it so hard to setup dmr radios, with 1 frequency, then setup a tg list that would also store the slot number for each tg and have it tied to just that 1 dmr system...... this waste of space having to do a frequency for every tg is a joke.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Because some users use more than one repeater with more than one frequency.
A codeplug editor will help you do what you ask in a much easier way.
This one http://www.miklor.com/MD380/380-CPEditor.php is for the MD380/390 and works great, I guess there might be something like it for the MD2017.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber

While I agree with you that the current "standard" for programming code plugs is poorly arranged, it is what it is because no one has ever thought to improve on the "Motorola Method" (my terminology).

Instead of a 'flat file' database, it is a fully 'relational' database. As such, programmers being largely lazy (I am one myself!), it's far easier to simply adopt a proven methodology than to design a more rational one from scratch. After all, reverse engineering is far simpler than being original! :roll:

W5TXR

Premium Subscriber
DMR/Mototrbo

Color codes, talk groups, privacy........
I see all kinds of questions relating to DMR programming. First and foremost DMR is NOT an amateur mode, the software was not meant to be user friendly it was designed for experienced two-way radio technicians that have attended a Mototrbo class or similar.
I don’t believe you will ever see an RT Systems software program for Mototrbo because it is proprietary.
There are law suits pending involving Motorola and I believe Hyteria Corp.
I’m not a big fan of DMR. DMR in ham radio is like trunking in amateur radio, it just doesn’t fit.
Why did DMR take off in the amateur radio community? Simple.....DMR is cheap!
I won’t beat around the bush! Hams can be very cheap so the appeal of a dualband HT for $100 or less is difficult to ignore
I purchased one TYT MD-2017, programming is straight forward it’s the same for all brands with the exception of some proprietary features that some manufacturers have.
Personally, I think Yaesu’s C4FM Fusion is king. As far as a non-amateur mode goes, P-25 is a very good mode and it’s much simpler to use than DMR
I’m a retired Motorola Sr. Field technician of 25+ years
“I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two” (borrowed from the Allstate insurance commercial)

M.A. Lacy W5TXR
w5txr.net
w5txr.us@gmail.com

k9medic

Premium Subscriber
I don’t disagree with you that DMR is more geared to professional programmers.

I carry this little radio as a back up to my primary work radio. It’s nice to be able to use it for work items which sometimes require me to be on DMR and also be able to switch back to the amateur bands.
It would be nice though if the programming was just a little simpler.

Most of my world is on the 800 spectrum on a technosonic system.

mjgreenberg

Md2017 tx mode?

In Radio Settings, the item "TX Mode" has several options including "LastCH", "LastCH+H", "DesignedCH" and "DesignedCH+H". What do these mean?

In scan the channel you transmit on when in scan is defined for each scan group in the CPS, but do these over-ride that?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.