• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wilson Lil Wil SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolet

Greetings, I am new to CB radio. I received a Wilson Little Will and mounted it on my Tacoma over the cab. I checked the SWR, cut off ¼” as directed, and checked SWR again. Here are my results

First check 26.9 MHz 1.9
27.4 MHz 2.5

Second check 26.9 MHz 1.5
(after cutting ¼”) 27.4 MHz 4.0

My question is, is cutting another ¼” the correct next step? Let me know please and thanks for your help.
Fred
Three Lakes, WI

kf4eyr

next step is to try another antenna,, should have left it as is,,, if you cut it a again it will be too short,,, lil wil are not much better than a dummy load since the chinese started making them,,,,ya might want to go to a better antenna,,,,

prcguy

If the match is better on a lower channel than a higher one it generally means the antenna is too long. From the info you provided it looks like the antenna is extremely narrow band and may have needed a much smaller amount taken off to balance ch 1 and 40 and it would not have been all that good at the band edges. This is where a graphical display type of antenna analyzer pays for itself the first time you use it.

Is the antenna on a mag mount or on a roll bar or something other than a permanent roof mount? If so the coax may be a radiating part of the antenna, which might give you an option to tune the coax for a better match using an RF choke you can slide up and down the coax.
prcguy

FiveFilter

Since channel 40 is worse than channel 1, the antenna is still too long for the setup. Keep trimming until it gets better. The goal is to get channels 1 and 40 as low as possible, and 20 should be a little lower than the extremities. However, the short antennas are not as wide-banded as longer antennas, so they don't work as well (except for the fact that they are much more forgiving of low obstacles such as garage roofs, which is why I use short antenna myself when needed.)

My magnet-mount K30 antenna had to be trimmed from its 35-inch starting point to 32.5 inches. I stopped there when the SWRs got to: Ch 1 =1.1, Ch 20 =1.2, Ch 40 = 2.9. I could have tried a little more cutting to get 40 a bit lower, but all of my usage is on channel 19 for traffic reports, so I left it as it is. With such a short length, I knew the little shorty was probably not flexible enough to get too much better anyway,

My antenna is mounted on the roof of my sedan. I can also mount it on the trunk, but the SWRs are not quite as good there because the little trunk is not as good a ground plane as the big roof.

As I said, the little short fellas are not as wide-banded as the tall guys, but they sure are handy when the ceiling is low!

I also have a couple of Wilson antennas, the 500 and 1000 mag mounts. I've had a lot of luck with these new-era Wilsons no matter where they are made.

I specialize in mag mounts for the ultimate in no-new-holes-needed flexibility.

Addendum: The principle to antenna tuning is, if the SWRs are lower on Channel 1 than on Channel 40, the antenna is too long. If the SWRs are lower on Channel 40 than on Channel 1, the antenna is too short. There's not much you can do if the antenna is too short except getting a longer one, but you can trim one that is too long.

Last edited:

prcguy

You say keep cutting but he started with a 2.5:1 match on ch 40 and now its 4:1 after cutting. The problem appears to be a really narrow band antenna that might give a little over 2:1 on ch 1 and 40 with something better in the middle, which would be the best your going to get. Now its terribly skewed with the upper channels looking pretty bad. If he keeps cutting ch 1 might get a little better but ch 40 will continue to get worse.
prcguy

Since channel 40 is worse than channel 1, the antenna is still too long for the setup. Keep trimming until it gets better. The goal is to get channels 1 and 40 as low as possible, and 20 should be a little lower than the extremities. However, the short antennas are not as wide-banded as longer antennas, so they don't work as well (except for the fact that they are much more forgiving of low obstacles such as garage roofs, which is why I use short antenna myself when needed.)

My magnet-mount K30 antenna had to be trimmed from its 35-inch starting point to 32.5 inches. I stopped there when the SWRs got to: Ch 1 =1.1, Ch 20 =1.2, Ch 40 = 2.9. I could have tried a little more cutting to get 40 a bit lower, but all of my usage is on channel 19 for traffic reports, so I left it as it is. With such a short length, I knew the little shorty was probably not flexible enough to get too much better anyway,

My antenna is mounted on the roof of my sedan. I can also mount it on the trunk, but the SWRs are not quite as good there because the little trunk is not as good a ground plane as the big roof.

As I said, the little short fellas are not as wide-banded as the tall guys, but they sure are handy when the ceiling is low!

I also have a couple of Wilson antennas, the 500 and 1000 mag mounts. I've had a lot of luck with these new-era Wilsons no matter where they are made.

I specialize in mag mounts for the ultimate in no-new-holes-needed flexibility.

Addendum: The principle to antenna tuning is, if the SWRs are lower on Channel 1 than on Channel 40, the antenna is too long. If the SWRs are lower on Channel 40 than on Channel 1, the antenna is too short. There's not much you can do if the antenna is too short except getting a longer one, but you can trim one that is too long.

JayMojave

Yeah what PRCGUY said: Those little wills antennas are very narrow in bandwidth. And the SWR he said is pretty much dead on.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Ravenkeeper

Curiousity may have killed the cat........

Greetings, I am new to CB radio. I received a Wilson Little Will and mounted it on my Tacoma over the cab. I checked the SWR, cut off ¼” as directed, and checked SWR again. Here are my results

First check 26.9 MHz 1.9
27.4 MHz 2.5

Second check 26.9 MHz 1.5
(after cutting ¼”) 27.4 MHz 4.0

My question is, is cutting another ¼” the correct next step? Let me know please and thanks for your help.
Fred
Three Lakes, WI

You say keep cutting but he started with a 2.5:1 match on ch 40 and now its 4:1 after cutting. The problem appears to be a really narrow band antenna that might give a little over 2:1 on ch 1 and 40 with something better in the middle, which would be the best your going to get. Now its terribly skewed with the upper channels looking pretty bad. If he keeps cutting ch 1 might get a little better but ch 40 will continue to get worse.
prcguy

Yeah what PRCGUY said: Those little wills antennas are very narrow in bandwidth. And the SWR he said is pretty much dead on.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Like Jay, I concur with PRCGuy. I was just looking at the online manual for Little Wil antennas, and their guidance seems to be a little outdated. So, to make sure that you're not going in the wrong direction, I have a few questions:

1) Does your SWR meter have a FWD/REF switch?

2) IF your SWR meter has a FWD/REF switch, are you setting the FWD, on each channel/frequency, before taking your SWR readings? If your meter does not have that switch, don't worry about it. My meter doesn't have that switch, but a friend of mine has a SWR meter that does, so I used his to tune my antenna.

3) I've tuned a few K40 antennas, and I'm assuming that Wilsons are the same way. (Here's where the cat may die.) Mark the antenna with a piece of masking/painters tape, loosen the set screw, raise the whip up 1/2", and take the readings. What did you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.