• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR for CERT Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerowner

I'm thinking about getting a few Radioditty GD77's and a CS800D for CERT use. We will use primarily simplex, so I would like to know, can these radios do two time slots on the same simplex frequency, but different talkgroups? Also, the reason I'd prefer DMR over Analog would be the use of talkgroups, and audio clarity. I'm hoping we can get it to work well for 3-5 miles. Anyone have any thoughts, or input?

N4KVE

These radios need a repeater to guide them to the correct time slot. I believe in simplex, they will take up both times lots. So with 4 radios close to each other, 2 on TS 1 using TG 99, & 2 others on TS 2 using TG 199 will not work.

daugherh

Yes to verify what was said before, it will not support was in called "Dual Capacity Direct Mode" such as you would find with the Gen 2 MotoTRBO radios by Motorola (XPR 3500 or 7550). I ran into this playing around for our CERT group as well. I figured having 4 licensed UHF frequencies that the 2 TG at a time per frequency would be nice to have, but since you have to have a high dollar radio to support it, I can make due with only 4 frequencies being used at once. You can still assign different TGs to use the same frequency as another, just not sharing it at the same time!

If your CERT group has the money and really want the 2 in 1, Motorola or Vertex Standard radios will support 2 TGs per simplex frequency (DCDM).

scannerowner

Ok sounds good. Yeah I think we can handle having different talkgroups, since we aren't that large of a CERT Group. Does your CERT group do well with DMR, and what type of license did you get? How much was the license?

daugherh

We are still switching from analog but so far we’ve been really impressed with DMR. Now that we have a few of the cheaper radios to test more with I see us moving permanently here soon.

As far as licensing, we have a IG (Business Pool) Itinerant license for 4 VHF and 4 UHF frequencies with all 8 having emission designators for both 11K2F3E analog and 7K60FXE and 7K60FXD for TRBO DMR voice and data. You can add almost any emission designator that you may use. I regret not adding for NXDN but can always modify later. It was around $170 for a ten year license. Depending on how your CERT is managed, such as through the fire department, police department or local EMA they may can help you out with it.

If you decide to do like we did, it’s not really hard it can just be a pain because if the forms aren’t 100% correct you’ll be delayed and have to redo them.

I’m not near my computer now for more information but feel free to pm me if you would like more info. I might can send you our forms as a reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scannerowner

I thought about the itinerant license as well. They're not having power limitations are they? I thought I saw that if you're a non for profit, you can get fees waived. We are managed by the EMA/PD, but they don't help too much with radios. We currently use MURS, and I'd like to do something that we can do legally, like DMR/Analog depending on the situation.

DMR would have talkgroups for all different ops. Since we cover a four county area, these talkgroups would be as such. I'm also thinking about getting the CS800D DMR Mobile so I can use it on any public safety frequencies as needed.

I'm thinking about doing a test with my FT2DR for HAM on digital, and test it with a mobile in our EOC just to show them how much better it sounds.

daugherh

Most itinerant tops at 50 watts. I’ll look up the list tomorrow with the different requirements and pass it to you. I understand the not much help.

If you plan to use the radio on public safety, or a license you acquire, make sure that radio is FCC certified for Part 90.

As far as non profits I think part of the fees are waived. I couldn’t tell you for sure as we haven’t figured that part out yet about how to start filing for 501(c)3.

daugherh

Also, depending on how your events are the itinerant may not be best option for your team. Getting a coordinated frequency(ies) might be better. I can help you figure more of that out tomorrow as well.

scannerowner

Thanks, I really appreciate it! Itinerant seems feasible since we go anywhere on given call. I believe I found your license, and that seems just exactly as I was thinking. My mobile will have to be programmed so that it meets criteria for DMR Marc, but I can come up with random TGs for our CERT Team, so I still think it's a win win for me!

daugherh

Good! Just remember make sure radios are part 90 certified. And if you’re going to run mobiles and portables, you can list it as the highest power. If you’re looking at our license you’ll see each frequency listed twice. High and low power. I misunderstood how to list them. Just cover the highest (mobiles and bases) and it covers your portables.

I’ll send that chart of info tomorrow when I get to the office. Its a huge help!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
From an eham review "The radio itself does not have a Part 90 or even Part 97 certification label on the ..." This makes it only legally usable on the ham frequencies. Although cost is a little higher and it is UHF only, the CS580 might be a good choice and is FCC certified. I have both, and the 580 also has better battery life and will stand upright on a flat surface, something the GD-77 does not do well.

scannerowner

Unfortunately, I'd like a dual band radio. I wonder if they'll get the certification eventually? I also like the MD 2017 from Tytera and it's both it looks.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Although the GD-77 has been good with firmware updates, most Chinese radios see few changes after they go on sale.

D

DaveNF2G

Is anybody besides Thales marketing Part 90 dual band digital radios yet?

D

DaveNF2G

I'm also thinking about getting the CS800D DMR Mobile so I can use it on any public safety frequencies as needed.

Others have already mentioned the need for Part 90 certification.

If you plan to have Part 90 frequencies programmed in transmit mode, you will also need either your own suitable license or permission in advance from the licensees of the public safety frequencies you might use.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
@daugher... where did you get your licensing done thru? I'm interested in getting an IG license for my church.

Status
Not open for further replies.