NYPD Identifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

flborror

Premium Subscriber
How can i find out the different car / call numbers for NYPD Patrol / Administration units

Darkstar350

Not sure if your looking for the "radio alphabet" units such as "Manhattan North Adam" , etc
But i think NYPD has something like -
Adam - Admin
Charlie - Anti Crime
George- Gang unit
Frank- Foot patrol
Sargent - Supervisor

There may be more but i do recall seeing those descriptions somewhere...

ff026

Feed Provider
Not sure if your looking for the "radio alphabet" units such as "Manhattan North Adam" , etc
Adam - Admin
Charlie - Anti Crime
George- Gang unit
Frank- Foot patrol
Sargent - Supervisor

No that’s completely wrong. On Patrol Divisions the Adam, Boy, Charlie, David, etc units are the sectors. Anti -Crime units go over the air as precinct# Crime example 25 Crime. Foot post’s go over as the precinct # and the Post#. The NYPD is pretty much what you here is what you get.

Darkstar350

No that’s completely wrong. On Patrol Divisions the Adam, Boy, Charlie, David, etc units are the sectors. Anti -Crime units go over the air as precinct# Crime example 25 Crime. Foot post’s go over as the precinct # and the Post#. The NYPD is pretty much what you here is what you get.

I may have seen something that is out dated
I have definitely heard units such as "2 Adam" being called on NYPD channels at one time or another but the number refers to the precinct?
So going by the n2nov list raising "Car 2" on the air would be calling the 1st Deputy Commissioner? Unless that is just the number on the actual car?
I dont think i have ever heard units being called in that way
Most of the time when its a commander or whatnot they will call for example - "Manhattan Sargent" or simply "Supervisor (last name or first name)"...

Last edited:

nyscan

Adam - Admin
Charlie - Anti Crime
George- Gang unit
Frank- Foot patrol
Sargent - Supervisor

Sounds something like the old Transit Bureau designations.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
I believe that dispatchers will shorten the precinct number in the identifier. Instead of 115 Adam it would be "15 Adam". Most dispatchers only handle two precincts so they don't have to be so formal.

Darkstar350

I believe that dispatchers will shorten the precinct number in the identifier. Instead of 115 Adam it would be "15 Adam". Most dispatchers only handle two precincts so they don't have to be so formal.

Makes sense
But according to this list - NYPD CAR ASSIGNMENTS "15 Adam" would mean "Deputy Commissioner Administration"
Seems a bit confusing then again supposedly that list is from 2004

NYPD is apparently still using the "Adam,Frank",etc units as just the other nite i heard "Emergency Service Adam" being called
Exactly what that designates i am not sure...

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Makes sense
But according to this list - NYPD CAR ASSIGNMENTS "15 Adam" would mean "Deputy Commissioner Administration"
Seems a bit confusing then again supposedly that list is from 2004

NYPD is apparently still using the "Adam,Frank",etc units as just the other nite i heard "Emergency Service Adam" being called
Exactly what that designates i am not sure...

I don't see "Adam" anywhere on that list. Just car numbers.

Darkstar350

I don't see "Adam" anywhere on that list. Just car numbers.

Correct there is only numbers on the n2nov list
But according to that list the number 15 designates "Deputy Commissioner Administration"
So with that in mind if a dispatcher were to shorten the 115 pct by just saying "15" that may cause some confusion unless what just the number 15 actually means the deputy commissioner which again i have never heard a NYPD commander or supervisor, etc being dispatched in that manner
From what ive heard bosses will be dispatched such as for example "Brooklyn south sargent" "Manhattan lieutenant" or "Supervisor John Doe" ,etc...

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Correct there is only numbers on the n2nov list
But according to that list the number 15 designates "Deputy Commissioner Administration"
So with that in mind if a dispatcher were to shorten the 115 pct by just saying "15" that may cause some confusion unless what just the number 15 actually means the deputy commissioner which again i have never heard a NYPD commander or supervisor, etc being dispatched in that manner
From what ive heard bosses will be dispatched such as for example "Brooklyn south sargent" "Manhattan lieutenant" or "Supervisor John Doe" ,etc...

You're putting too much thought into this. If they are calling for the Deputy Commissioner Administration they are going to simply say "Car 15". Car 15 will likely be monitoring, or dispatched on a Citywide channel, not the channel for the 115th PCT. If a dispatcher is calling for a sector car in the 115th they will say "15 Adam, Boy, Charlie, David, Edward, ect....

If you look at the database you'll see what channels the PCT's are dispatched on. Most channels have two or three PCT's dispatched on them.

Darkstar350

You're putting too much thought into this. If they are calling for the Deputy Commissioner Administration they are going to simply say "Car 15". Car 15 will likely be monitoring, or dispatched on a Citywide channel, not the channel for the 115th PCT. If a dispatcher is calling for a sector car in the 115th they will say "15 Adam, Boy, Charlie, David, Edward, ect....

If you look at the database you'll see what channels the PCT's are dispatched on. Most channels have two or three PCT's dispatched on them.

Ok thats exactly what had me confused
Which brings me to the point is that i cant recall if and when i have ever heard a NYPD dispatcher simply say "Car xx" even on a citywide channel and i follow the citywide channels the closest out of any NYPD freqs

But yes i can confirm that they are still using the radio alphabet type callsigns/units
Maybe its not written in stone and its something that definitely goes back many years ago as the police radio chatter in the original Grand Theft Auto video game was actually a clip of NYPD radio audio
"5 George K" :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Ls5ImYEXA

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
One of the more common "Car" units is quite active on the citywide hwy/traffic channel. Car-42 is the commanding officer (CO) of NYPD traffic. I hear him at least once or twice a week. Especially when he is stuck in traffic and does not know why lol.

The other Car units are not usually that active, unless there is a major event or a police officer shot or something of that nature.

Darkstar350

One of the more common "Car" units is quite active on the citywide hwy/traffic channel. Car-42 is the commanding officer (CO) of NYPD traffic. I hear him at least once or twice a week. Especially when he is stuck in traffic and does not know why lol.

The other Car units are not usually that active, unless there is a major event or a police officer shot or something of that nature.

Intresting
So basically - any "Car #xx" will be a commisoner/commander,etc and the "adam/frank",etc units are just regular RMPs not any special unit?
I can say for sure that i have heard units "Supervisor xyz"(usually a last name or something) being called more so then "car" units...

G

Go4pizza

I know this is probably been answered somewhere else however, I am unable to find it so I apologize in advance. Can someone tell me what the term 4 by means I have heard the term use in the following contents “ 7 boy 4 by” i’m guessing that it means 4 offices to one vehicle but would appreciate if someone could confirm this. Thank you in advance and like i said if this is been answered previously I apologize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

Go4pizza

Great thanks for the quick response to my question.... greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
Intresting
So basically - any "Car #xx" will be a commisoner/commander,etc and the "adam/frank",etc units are just regular RMPs not any special unit?
I can say for sure that i have heard units "Supervisor xyz"(usually a last name or something) being called more so then "car" units...

Usually if you hear them mention a name on the radio, then it's probably a special detail operation, like a parade or the NYC marathon. Those "details" usually have the officers who are working that "detail" switch their radios to an alternate frequency (citywide 2, or 3, etc.) When someone is looking for a specific officer (usually a supervisor) they will ask for that officer by name (i.e. sgt Smith on the air) Very rarely do they use officer's names on the day to day operation channels, since almost all the units working on those channels have assigned unit numbers.

Occasionally, you may hear a unit come over as "ESU portable", or "Mounted portable" (portable referring to the officer's portable radio) Although with so many unauthorized "buffs" having radios capable of transmitting on NYPD frequencies, a dispatcher may prompt the "portable" to identify with his/her portable radio number. I believe all NYPD portable radios are signed out in their respective precincts/commands and the officer has to log his/her name in a book alongside the portable's assigned number they have checked out for the day. That is another way to contact an officer over the radio without putting a name over the air. Like "have portable #1234 call the desk sgt" However, now that we are well within the cellular phone age, those transmissions have become much less common.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Usually if you hear them mention a name on the radio, then it's probably a special detail operation, like a parade or the NYC marathon. Those "details" usually have the officers who are working that "detail" switch their radios to an alternate frequency (citywide 2, or 3, etc.) When someone is looking for a specific officer (usually a supervisor) they will ask for that officer by name (i.e. sgt Smith on the air) Very rarely do they use officer's names on the day to day operation channels, since almost all the units working on those channels have assigned unit numbers.

Occasionally, you may hear a unit come over as "ESU portable", or "Mounted portable" (portable referring to the officer's portable radio) Although with so many unauthorized "buffs" having radios capable of transmitting on NYPD frequencies, a dispatcher may prompt the "portable" to identify with his/her portable radio number. I believe all NYPD portable radios are signed out in their respective precincts/commands and the officer has to log his/her name in a book alongside the portable's assigned number they have checked out for the day. That is another way to contact an officer over the radio without putting a name over the air. Like "have portable #1234 call the desk sgt" However, now that we are well within the cellular phone age, those transmissions have become much less common.

Each officer is assigned a radio, the only time they sign in and out a radio is if they are grabbing a spare.

Darkstar350

This clears things up
Thanks alot :D

Also because i tend to monitor the NYPD citywide channels rather then the individual precinct channels so
i suppose the dispatchers may use a bit diffrent terms on the pct freqs...

Status
Not open for further replies.