396xt adjusting volume by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullmax

I have a 396xt and the volume increases or decreases by itself. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

marksmith

I have a 396xt and the volume increases or decreases by itself. Anyone ever heard of this happening?
Never.

Are you sure the actual volume number is changing? Or do you just have lots of difference in volume for different systems, talkgroups or frequencies?

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Bullmax

It’s actually changing. Goes to level 15, sometimes 12. Today it went to zero. I have keypad lock on and I have to turn keypad lock off to adjust back to normal level 7. I am broadcasting the stream over the internet with scannercast. It’s not thru Broadcastify.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You can still adjust the volume when in Keypad Lock by turning the knob. You don't have to push down on it. Are you inadvertently turning it? I have had 396Ts, 396XTs, and 330Ts since they were first released and have never seen one adjust its own volume.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
You probably have a bad solder joint inside for the knob or the knob itself is bad. You probably have trouble also if you navigate the radio menus and-or volume adjusting? I had the same thing when I had a 396T same knob etc. I opened it up and did try to solder but the solder points are very small and other solder joints are very close to it so very hard to get in there and not accidentally solder across other spots.
I sent mine for repair to Uniden.

Bullmax

You can still adjust the volume when in Keypad Lock by turning the knob. You don't have to push down on it.

I did not know that. I always push down first and it says keypad lock on. It has to be my kids turning it occasionally LOL. Thanks for the info.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Same thing was happening on both of mine at the same time. So I disabled the WiFi off on both of them and the problem disappeared. Were they being being hacked externally? Maybe.. :confused: :confused:
:lol:
Seriously though, it takes two operations to change the volume as you know. Press down (one switch activation), and then turn the knob (another separate switch combined in the same control unit). So yes if the keypad lock enables the push switch, that would explain what is going on.
Great radios though....
Bob

Last edited:

N8IAA

Same thing was happening on both of mine at the same time. So I disabled the WiFi off on both of them and the problem disappeared. Were they being being hacked externally? Maybe.. :confused: :confused:

Please tell me how to enable Wifi on my 396XT. I would love that:lol:
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.