Dipole Advice for Cabin Balcony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I recently upgraded from an FT-817 to an Elecraft KX3 with the built-in tuner option. I'm heading down to the Pigeon Forge area for a vacation soon and plan to take my radio with me since we'll be pretty high up. I have been using an inverted-vee dipole at 25 feet at home for the last few years and it's worked out great. I want to use something similar at the cabin without having to take my current one down.

I found some cheap pre-made dipole antennas on ebay for different bands. My goal is to try out 6 and 10 meters if possible, since I've always wanted to get on those bands and never had much luck due to limited time on the radio and bad propagation. But I'd also like to get on 15, 17 and 20 while I'm there, and will likely spend more time there. The cabin is two-story with full balconies on each floor. I was thinking of either a shorter, horizontal dipole on the top level or an inverted-vee mounted at the center of the top running the ends to the outer edges of the bottom level.

Which would probably yield better results, an inverted-vee or a horizontal dipole? Also, would a full-wave or half-wave be recommended? Would a 15-meter antenna be a good bet with the tuner? Thanks for any suggestions...

prcguy

Congratulations on getting the KX3. I've hauled a KX2 and KX3 all over creation and my go to antenna is a resonant end fed half wave. For me it makes the best use of QRP power and is simple to set up most anywhere.

You can make a 100w rated 64:1 transformer for a couple of $$ and it will match a half wavelength of wire on any band from about 60m through 10m and also operate on harmonically related bands. A 63ft 40m version will work on 20, 15 and 10m without a tuner. You can stick 33ft of wire on it and just use it for 20m or about 16ft of wire and hang it vertically for 10m and so on.

LNR Technologies makes the PAR end feds and they have a 25w rated trail version which is basically the same but lower power. They also make mono band versions through 6m.

These antennas work much better than any loaded whip on a tripod, or loop or Buddipole, etc. Their performance is on par with a full size center fed dipole of the same size but unlike a coax fed dipole they work on most harmonic bands.
prcguy

I recently upgraded from an FT-817 to an Elecraft KX3 with the built-in tuner option. I'm heading down to the Pigeon Forge area for a vacation soon and plan to take my radio with me since we'll be pretty high up. I have been using an inverted-vee dipole at 25 feet at home for the last few years and it's worked out great. I want to use something similar at the cabin without having to take my current one down.

I found some cheap pre-made dipole antennas on ebay for different bands. My goal is to try out 6 and 10 meters if possible, since I've always wanted to get on those bands and never had much luck due to limited time on the radio and bad propagation. But I'd also like to get on 15, 17 and 20 while I'm there, and will likely spend more time there. The cabin is two-story with full balconies on each floor. I was thinking of either a shorter, horizontal dipole on the top level or an inverted-vee mounted at the center of the top running the ends to the outer edges of the bottom level.

Which would probably yield better results, an inverted-vee or a horizontal dipole? Also, would a full-wave or half-wave be recommended? Would a 15-meter antenna be a good bet with the tuner? Thanks for any suggestions...

SCPD

QRT
Hi Gilligan
Since you'll be taking a break form things, I don't know how much time time and energy you'll be wanting to devote to hamming-- especially if there are others (family and spouse) involved. Stringing up antennas may be an enjoyable activity- for you!................ :)
I have used random length end-fed wires for years- all over the world- in some of the most difficult situations and places. Usually they are resistor terminated long wires, or folded terminated dipoles- but I have had great success with a simple long wire, a good counterpoise 'ground' and a tuner.
Of course if you've the time, patience and clearance from the "others," I'd do full size resonate dipoles..... remember-- one on 40 should resonate close enuff for 15; 60 will probably hit 17 SWR-wise, etc...... good luck with 6 and 10-- they are really dead now.
Have fun !- but don't get caught up with radio too much not to take the hikes....:)
..........................CF

Last edited:

kk4obi

A straight horizontal half-wave dipole at a half-wave over ground is what all other antennas are compared to (dBd). If there is not enough horizontal space, the Inverted-L, Bent-end or Folded-end forms minimize the losses from wire near ground.

If there is only a single high place then an Inverted-V or Sloping antennas are the alternatives.

If you use an Off-Center or End-Fed antenna for multi-band, try to make a bend at exactly half if possible. If not, the next best results will be with the bend at exactly one-third.

The only hf bands where I find activity are 20, 17 and a little on 15 meters.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Have fun !- but don't get caught up with radio too much not to take the hikes....:)
What an interesting thread! I am looking into setting up a wire antenna here at my QTH for my KX3 as well. From what I've read so far, I'm thinking that a PAR end-fed will suit my needs best.

While I've had good results with my Buddipole Deluxe for portable operations, it is absolutely not suited at all for long term outdoor use, especially during the winters here in NW Indiana!

BTW CF, we had an excellent presentation last night at our monthly LCARC meeting. Twenty-three members showed up, as well as two new ham prospects.

With permission of the presenter (our President N9CA), I shared several of your stories with the group. Everyone was greatly amused by your description of Barbi's "QRO antics"... Thanks again for the permission to share!

Our Treasurer particularly enjoyed the bits about your vists to NSS since he was a submariner radio operator during WWII. I also brought up the 76Hz station in upper Wisconsin.

SCPD

QRT
Smiles Bill.... :)
I'm glad I could lend a little something to your meeting.
I'll not commandeer this thread guys- what N4GIX is referring to are the post's I have been making about my 2200 metre experiences.
........And I have an addendum to Barbi and her QRO......but I'll post it under "New MF/LF ham bands..with a catch."
Gilligan, good luck with your cabin antennas- almost like going out on a Field Day, No?... :)
...........................CF

Status
Not open for further replies.