BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Will we ever be able to buy a keypad for the BCD436HP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4UXQ

The paint wears off easily on the bottom row, and they are constantly not available online. Called tech support and they cannot sell that part direct. All they could offer is send it in. Well it isn't broken, just the keypad looks like crap.

Has anyone been able to buy one online in the past?

Xplorer00

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same boat where the writing on the bottom three buttons (System, Dept, Chan) are starting to wear off, as well as the white background on the buttons is also wearing off making the buttons become grey.

Uniden response to me was that it is not covered under warranty and that my fingers must be oily to make it happen, and to ensure I wash my hands before using the scanner.

What a crock. Surely there are others that have the same thing happening, or maybe it's because some don't care.

Re - stock. Same same, they have always had no stock, yet advertise it on their website.
https://www.uniden.com/accessories/id-LKR107585ZZ/LKR107585ZZ_Key_Pad_for_BCD436HP

They will repair it at my cost, but parts can't be purchased from them, only from their authorized repairers. Yet, the repairers also don't have stock.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know where to get replacement keypads?

Ubbe

My 536 are now 1 year old and the paint have weared off the avoid button. No oily fingers or dirt, just the fingerprint scrubbing the paint. The selection knob also starts to acting up going two steps insted of one and sometimes goes backwards.

/Ubbe

KD4UXQ

Poor customer support if they don't consider worn buttons a warranty issue. It falls into the category of "Defect in parts or workmanship". The design is flawed. I have not had my BCD436HP very long at all. Just since July this year. The paint on the buttons should last at least a few years.

The buttons on my BCD396XT have never worn off, and it is 8 years old. Same fingers pressing buttons on both scanners. One has lasted 8 years without worn buttons, the other lasted not quite 4 months before the S in System is almost gone.

I had an Alinco HT years ago that had the same issue, and I replaced the keypad on it and sold it. After that, I went to Yaesu and found I preferred Yaesu over Alinco, and stuck with Yaesu for the last 20 years.

Maybe Whistler scanners have better keypads. I know all the GRE scanners I have, have never had worn buttons.

Seriously, how much could it cost Uniden to sell us a keypad and keep a loyal customer from even considering another brand. In the past, I have always appreciated Uniden for allowing me to buy parts I needed to keep my scanners working and looking good.

I have re-cased that old BCD396XT, replaced a broken selector knob, a worn SMA connector, a noisy speaker and was able to order all the parts from Uniden, and at very reasonable prices. But I never once had to replace the keypad on that BCD396XT and it still looks like new. Not a single worn button, the same fingers have been pressing buttons on it, as have been on the BCD436HP.

It's not my fingers, it is the keypad design that is causing the wear. The condition of my BCD396XT keypad, and those on my Yaesu radios that are also old, proves it is not oily fingers that are at fault.

It would be nice if someone could make a better aftermarket keypad for the BCD436HP, I would pay $50 for one if it had a warranty against wear. I like the radio, but the keypad sucks!

JamesO

Keypads are wear items, but as mentioned, most should last 5-10 years without a problem depending on the use.I have been using scanners for almost 40 years and I do not think I ever really wore a the numbers or letters of any of the keypads or cases even with heavy usage and not carrying case. I think my PRO-43 might have been my heavier usage scanner because the technology was pretty static and everything I listened to was Analog and not trunked. I carried that thing everywhere.

All fingers are oily, this is why finger prints are used by Law Enforcement all the time. Even my laptop keys can and wear over time. The "A" key on my laptop I am using right now is about 1/3 worn off, the keyboard/keys are backlit so I have a bright spot on the "A" key. I think it is because for some reason I use my finger nail on the "A" key rather than my finger tip? The space bar and return key appear polished a bit from all the use.

Anyway, something must be up with the X36HP keypads to wear like they are, maybe the different materials for the lower keys?

As mentioned, all Uniden has to do is pull in a few dozen keypads and put the part number up on the parts site and they will see how many they are selling. Selling too many means there is probably a problem.

Hell I just reworked 2 of my GMC truck keyfobs that are 12 years old. The paint? was worn of the Lock and Unlock buttons, but one button the rubber hard torn and the contact pads were in bad shape. $7 on Amazon and I bought 2 replacement keyfob housings, I like the original housing better, so I just transferred the rubber membrane after cleaning the circuit boards and installing new batteries. Wow, what a difference.

Come on Uniden, who can we talk to other than a defensive flunky in Customer Service that just blames the problem on the user? I think for the most part, most of us just want the parts, even if we have to pay for them, but it sure would be nice if the replacement parts were better designed and lasted longer than the originals.

KD4UXQ

I would be very happy to pay for a new keypad, even though it should be warranty because of the premature wear. I have a leather case for it, but when at home and not portable I prefer operating out of the case. So actually the wear would have been sooner if never in the case protecting the keys. I looked at used BCD436HP on eBay, and photos don't show as much wear as mine, or at all. Either these radios saw very little use, or something changed about the keypads on newer radios.

kayleesdad

Must be a cost concern, the 396T is going strong with a really nice keypad 10 years later. The 396xt's had the number rub issue, too. Thanks for the heads up on that issue.

KD4UXQ

Must be a cost concern, the 396T is going strong with a really nice keypad 10 years later. The 396xt's had the number rub issue, too. Thanks for the heads up on that issue.

Interesting. My 396XT is 8 years old, used a lot and no keypad wear. Wonder if there was a change in manufacture of those keypads at some point.

KD4UXQ

Didn't find this thread last week

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/300535-436-keyboard-wear.html

Else I would have replied to it about the BCD436HP keypads.

I wish I knew how we could get Uniden to make these available. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have left it in the case while operating it at home.

It is interesting that from the earlier thread, it is the SYSTEM button that wears the most. I figured it was because it was next to the power button which I usually press with my left thumb, and also touches the SYSTEM button on the left side of it as well which is where it is wearing most.

I haven't had the black keys wear off yet as was reported in the other thread, just the white keys. It makes an expensive scanner look cheap. I have seen keypad wear before of course. Wear is normal, but the rate of wear with these is abnormal.

I have never had a keypad on any scanner or amateur radio I have owned in about 35 years ever wear this badly.

I don't want to try this on the only keypad I have, but if I could get a replacement I would try spraying the old one with the clear Plasti dip in the spray can. If it did not ruin it, I would install the old one and see how well it lasted. Then I could know if it were safe and effective to spray the new one to install.

Last edited:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I've had my BCD436HP for less than a month and the E button is already missing black paint around the edges! When the backlight is on, it is very noticeable due to the light shining through!!

I'm very dissapointed. Otherwise, I really love this scanner!

questnz

All been said now gentleman, mine last longer than yours etc. just one question to Upman:

Paul, when and where we can get replacement keypads ?

Actually in some Countries Consumer Guarantee Law apply, you sell the goods you MUST provide and have replacement parts
available for xx years, not sure in US but where I live it is the case.

Exact spell here:

Manufacturers (the definition includes importers) guarantee that:

Spare parts and repair facilities will be available for a reasonable time.
They will honour any written warranty that comes with their products.
Goods are of acceptable quality.
Goods match their description.

Service providers guarantee their services will be:

Performed with reasonable care and skill.
Fit for the particular purpose they were supplied.
Completed within a reasonable time.
A reasonable price, if no price or pricing formula has been previously agreed.

Acceptable quality means goods:

Do what they are made to do.
Are acceptable in appearance and finish.
Are free from minor defects.
Are safe and durable.

Retailers and other suppliers guarantee their goods will:

Be of acceptable quality.
Be fit for a particular purpose that you asked about.
Match the description given in advertisements or sales brochures, or by the sales assistant.
Match the sample or demonstration model.
Be owned by the consumer, once purchased.
Be a reasonable price, if no price or pricing formula has been previously agreed.
Be delivered on time, where the supplier is responsible for delivery. When no time is agreed, delivery must still be within a reasonable time.

Last edited:

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
Maybe trying clear nail polish on them will protect them. Yes the oils from your fingers will destroy the paint. I work in a museum and anytime we have to handle an item we have to wear gloves as the oils will destroy the artifact

KD4UXQ

Maybe trying clear nail polish on them will protect them. Yes the oils from your fingers will destroy the paint. I work in a museum and anytime we have to handle an item we have to wear gloves as the oils will destroy the artifact

I actually tried clear nail polish on the keys. Also tried the gel nail polish. Both peeled off during use. It would not stick well to the keys.

I have several radios with lettered keys. Some of them have not worn off at all, and some wore very little. All these radios have had heavy use. Some are a few years old and some are as much as 10 years old. There is something very wrong with how the lettering is done on the BCD436HP keypads. They wear off quicker than any I have ever owned. I wonder what "Paint" was used by Yaesu, and GRE that is not affected by "Oil". Also, what process was used on my older Uniden scanners, they didn't wear off either? Oily fingers does not explain this defect in materials.

Last edited:

JamesO

Assume a few issues.

1. The keypads are only available if and when Uniden places an order for more than are required for production. I assume the production parts are run in batches, so there may be months between production runs?

2. It may be possible?? that a problem with the current batch of keypads has been found and maybe a correction is being put into place and/or a different supplier is being sourced?? I agree that there may well be a problem either with the paint, manufacturing process or the materials. There are PLENTY of scanners, 2 way radios, calculators, cell phones and even as well as keyfobs other devices that have as much, if not more use that some of these scanners and these keypads hold up far better than what is being seen with some of these keypads.

Maybe?? someone will fess up at Uniden, but then this means they have to bit the bullet to replace keypads or provide keypads. Maybe?? we are waiting on an updated keypad that will not have the same wear problem and for $5 + shipping where some people can replace their own keypad, this may be $10 well spent to get a new keypad that is hopefully more robust than what came with some of the radios.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
soft case

I use the soft case for the 436 and use the hell out of the scanner. my buttons are protected and so far, fine. i knew someone who had the 436 and his button text wore off as described in this thread. i suggest getting the soft case as it covers the buttons with clear plastic. also protects the scanner. i dropped it a few times with no damage. it also protects the display from scratches. hope this helps someone.

Xplorer00

Premium Subscriber
Although now I wish I had used a leather case from day one to prevent keypad fade, but it's of no use now when the wear and fade has already occurred.

I have Tait, Motorola and Icom radios that have far more frequent use that the Uniden scanner, and they have no signs of any fade whatsoever.

As mentioned before, Uniden have had replacement keypads listed as a part item on their website for a number of years, but to my knowledge, they have NEVER been in stock.
I registered with them to be notified when stock arrives... well, that was well over 14 months ago and no notification and no change to their "out of stock" status.

UPMAN - you answered a question on the 325P2 model that replacement keypad availability was being looked into; what about the 436HP model. Is anything being looked into with providing replacement keypads for the BCD436HP model, or are we just being left high and dry.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Same thing here, this is a great example of how it looks. Been trying to replace this for a while. This is not quite a year old.

shabec

Premium Subscriber
436HP Keypad

I'm even getting to the point on going to a 3rd party to make some for me. Uniden has been no help on this issue. This is one reason I'm kinda rethinking about getting the new SDS-100 because I don't want another scanner that has a poor built keypad.

Status
Not open for further replies.