Looking for new radio. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
So I currently have a Beofang UV-5R and use that to listen to the FDNY Staten Island Dispatch and also use it to listen to the Fireground when I’m on scene of different calls. So I’m looking to upgrade to a more latest and better radio as this one isn’t so good when I’m inside of buildings and in certain open places it doesn’t work so good but is a good beginners so now I’m looking for a new radio in the $250 price range, maybe a Motorola if they have a new latest one. If you have any suggestions please comment.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you will only be using this radio to listen to Fire, Police, etc and not to Transmit on anything. If that is the case I would recommend a scanner instead of a two-way radio. A scanner will work much better for listening than the radio you have now. Look at the database entries for your area on this website. It can help you decide if you need a "Digital" scanner or can get by with a cheaper "Analog" scanner.

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I can’t seem to find the database and be able to find a radio can you suggest any radios you would recommend for something like this I don’t mind if it can transmit ?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
After looking at the frequency database for NY City (see link above), it looks like you can listen to most services with just an analog scanner. I would recommend the Uniden BC125AT. It can store 500 channels, shows the name of each channel (not just the frequency), comes with a programming cable and free programming software. It is available at Amazon for around $84.
https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC125AT-Military-Aircraft-Channels/dp/B00772MR0K

15plus1

The BC 125AT would be a great scanner for your intended use. I use one when traveling thru NYC or visiting family there.. It would be a good choice. Price is right too..

K2NEC

Or if you want a Motorola radio then I recommend the HT1250. Easy to program, over 200 channels, not too big or bulky.

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
I was actually thinking of getting that one as it seems better then my current and Motorola is pretty good but think is I have a choice to choose the band should I get the UHF 403-470 or the UHF 450-512 or does it not really matter??

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I was actually thinking of getting that one as it seems better then my current and Motorola is pretty good but think is I have a choice to choose the band should I get the UHF 403-470 or the UHF 450-512 or does it not really matter??

It does matter. The UHF 450-512 MHz version would cover *most* of what is in your area but not all. Other things to consider. A quick look shows HT1250s selling for around $250-$300 used. While you can program a HT-1250 manually from the keypad, I don't know how hard or what it would cost to get the programming software and programming cable for the HT1250. They are public safety radios with more industry options which makes them more complex to program than scanners. This model has 125 channels which can be organized in 16 zones. I am not sure you can scan all 128 channels at a time. You would also have to be careful to disable Transmit operation on each channel so you wouldn't accidentally interfere with public safety agencies. Perhaps someone more familiar with the HT1250 could add more information. I just don't think they are a good option for someone wanting to just listen to public safety agencies.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
For comparison the BC125AT has the following frequency coverage. You should also consider what you might want to listen to in the future.
BC125AT Frequency Range:
* **25-**30 Amateur Band 10 Meters
* **30-**50 VHF Low Band
* **50-**54 Ham Band 6 Meters
* 108-137 Aircraft Band
* 137-144 Federal Government
* 144-148 Amateur Band 2 Meters
* 148-174 VHF High Band includes Marine
* 225-380 Military Aircraft Band
* 400-420 Federal Government
* 420-450 Amateur Band 70 Cm
* 450-470 UHF Band
* 470-512 UHF "T" Band

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It does matter. The UHF 450-512 MHz version would cover *most* of what is in your area but not all. Other things to consider. A quick look shows HT1250s selling for around $250-$300 used. While you can program a HT-1250 manually from the keypad, I don't know how hard or what it would cost to get the programming software and programming cable for the HT1250. They are public safety radios with more industry options which makes them more complex to program than scanners. This model has 125 channels which can be organized in 16 zones. I am not sure you can scan all 128 channels at a time. You would also have to be careful to disable Transmit operation on each channel so you wouldn't accidentally interfere with public safety agencies. Perhaps someone more familiar with the HT1250 could add more information. I just don't think they are a good option for someone wanting to just listen to public safety agencies.

The HT-1250 is NOT capable of FPP. You require a HT-1550 and the ‘Red FPP Battery’or have the radio modified to not need the red battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can only scan 16 channels per zone does 128 channels for the HT1250 i think the HT1550 is 160 channels still only 16 channels can be scan

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
Well I don’t mind if it transmits cause I won’t I just want to know if the Motorola would be good for FDNY dispatch

Darkstar350

If your just looking for FDNY and whatnot within NYC then yes the older analog scanners should work
However some of the new FDNY freqs are narrowband so you may have some problems there
Going forward investing in one of the newer digital scanners with trunking and other digital modes such as the newer Whistlers or Unidens would be worth it
You would have a lot more capability that way being able to monitor the NYC trunk systems as well as Onevoice and whatnot
Maybe not one of the newest scanners with DMR capability but you may be able to find one of the modern scanners that can at least do trunking and narrowband for a good deal on Ebay
FDNY does use talk groups on the NYC Doit systems...

Last edited:

K2NEC

Ok so I have an HT1250 in 450-527 and I get most of NYC. That would probably be your best bet. You could probably find one on eBay for less than $250. You would need to get the software from Motorola by creating an account (about $200) then buy a programming cable (about $30). OR you could get someone with the software to program it for you. It has 128 channels which for scanning is more than enough. If you would like to send me a private message I could help you decide specifically which one to buy and could answer any other questions that you have.

K2NEC

The HT-1250 is NOT capable of FPP. You require a HT-1550 and the ‘Red FPP Battery’or have the radio modified to not need the red battery.
If you are looking for an FPP radio then the xts5000 or xts2500 is your best bet. The ht1550 requires the rare red battery which isn't produced anymore and are harder and harder to get ahold of. With the XTS radio's the FPP is in the flashcode so as long as you have the government FPP "installed" then you will be able to change any of your desired frequencies. There are a couple of good youtube video's on it if you are interested.

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
Ok so right now I’m thinking of getting either or the Motorola HT1250 or Motorola XTS5000/2500 I want to get a good fat range or decent range to be able tot cover atleast Staten Island or maybe reach all 5 boroughs. I just need a good radio that’s a bit bigger then the Beofang UV-5R that I currently have

K2NEC

Ok so right now I’m thinking of getting either or the Motorola HT1250 or Motorola XTS5000/2500 I want to get a good fat range or decent range to be able tot cover atleast Staten Island or maybe reach all 5 boroughs. I just need a good radio that’s a bit bigger then the Beofang UV-5R that I currently have
If you want an XTS then it definitely won't fit within your budget. They can run $350+. In my opinion the HT1250 will do you just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.