BC365CRS: What does CRS stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Does anyone know what the "CRS" stands for in the radio name BC365CRS?

I was speculating "Can't Receive Stuff" but I am pretty sure there is a better explanation...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Maybe yours, but certainly not mine, or any of the dozens of customer units I've tested after doing GPS installs.

troymail

Silent Key
Still not as deaf as the BCD436HP SMH

We now know that at least the early units are riddled with defects - from battery/clock issues to dim displays and now (finally) an admission that there is a VHF/UHF noise defect.

Unlike the clock and dim display issues, unfortunately, Uniden has only recently "quietly" admitted the UHF noise issue and say they will fix it (maybe) if you pay to send it in (and hope they can't find a reason it is your fault that they can charge you for).

I can only assume these defects are being addressed in the production chain and newer units don't have these problems.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I can only assume these defects are being addressed in the production chain and newer units don't have these problems.

I can confirm (not assume) that units made in the last 18 months or so have C1 installed (which eliminates the UHF self-interference when using the factory antenna), and the newer front circuit board that resolves both the clock and display issues.

But all of that is irrelevant if K2RNI is connecting his 436 to the same external antenna as his other scanner(s) when comparing performance. The C1 self-interference only affects handheld use with the factory antenna. If you use the BNC adapter and a BNC whip antenna, the antenna is farther from the source of the noise, and the self-interference is negligible even if C1 is not present. And if you've connected a base antenna, the presence or absence of C1 is completely irrelevant to scanner performance.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Good to know. I use my 436HP either with and external antenna (if at home) or with the RS800 rubber ducky (if traveling).

I should probably ask this in one of the other 87 threads about the capacitor issue, but I'll ask here. If I'm bored and decide I want to look to see if C1 is installed, do I need to do more than removed the battery door, batteries, and the six screws that hold the back on? I don't want to do a lot of disassembly.

But all of that is irrelevant if K2RNI is connecting his 436 to the same external antenna as his other scanner(s) when comparing performance. The C1 self-interference only affects handheld use with the factory antenna. If you use the BNC adapter and a BNC whip antenna, the antenna is farther from the source of the noise, and the self-interference is negligible even if C1 is not present. And if you've connected a base antenna, the presence or absence of C1 is completely irrelevant to scanner performance.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If I'm bored and decide I want to look to see if C1 is installed, do I need to do more than removed the battery door, batteries, and the six screws that hold the back on? I don't want to do a lot of disassembly.

There are 4 additional screws holding the board in place inside. You will need to remove those to be able to see the back side of the board where C1 lives.

What is your serial nember?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Mine is an early version and has had the main board replaced as part of the RTC fix. I don't know that the serial number will help. The RTC fix was done early in the process, so I'm not sure if all of those boards had C1 in them or if that was done later on.

There are 4 additional screws holding the board in place inside. You will need to remove those to be able to see the back side of the board where C1 lives.

What is your serial nember?

KD4UXQ

I can confirm (not assume) that units made in the last 18 months or so have C1 installed (which eliminates the UHF self-interference when using the factory antenna), and the newer front circuit board that resolves both the clock and display issues.

Is the display illuminated with surface mount LEDs? I would prefer a brighter amber. Maybe when mine is out of warranty, I would consider replacing the LEDs if that is what is used. Mine was manufactured this year and does not have the RF noise issue. I expect it has C1. Do you know if Uniden fixes just dim displays, or just when installing C1? That dim blue/white sucks.

troymail

Silent Key
...and yet, Uniden won't take public and formal responsibility for this defect other than the "stealth" announcement outside these forums...
The C1 self-interference only affects handheld use with the factory antenna.
Wrong - I used other radio mounted antennas on the 436 and they all result in the same noise issue that requires the "foil" hack.
And if you've connected a base antenna, the presence or absence of C1 is completely irrelevant to scanner performance.
...which is mostly "irrelevant" also - not alot of point in having a handheld for mobility and be tied to a base antenna....

mule1075

Feed Provider
Wow a thread asking a question about a 365 CRS turns into another 436hp pissing match thread. Can't say I am not surprised though.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Wow a thread asking a question about a 365 CRS turns into another 436hp pissing match thread. Can't say I am not surprised though.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

It's hilarious how threads get derailed.

I received a BC365CRS just last week as I always wanted one. Works great on civil and military aeronautical bands and not too shabby on UHF low.

A great looking unit on a bedside table.

The only con (for me) is the MilAir band topping out at 380MHz.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Some people just can't help themselves, they have to bring their whiny grievances into every thread, no matter what the original topic.

I have a 370CRS, although I haven't found much in the way of differences from the 365CRS. I bought it at a yard sale for $3.00. No box, no manual, no AM loop antenna. Other than that, it looks new. The nice young lady selling it said that she turned it on once, but never used it.

It's perfect for monitoring a few local communities and that's all I wanted it for. Amazingly, the back up batteries kept if running for over 24 hours when we lost power a couple of weeks ago.

Not something I'd buy new, but for what it cost, it was a bargain.

I received a BC365CRS just last week as I always wanted one. Works great on civil and military aeronautical bands and not too shabby on UHF low.

KD4UXQ

Yep. For some reason, Uniden has assumed that anything above 380 MHz is for trunked systems, therefore not needed on a non-trunk tracker. The same happened with the BC125AT. However, MILAIR comms still occur from 380 to 400, and Intra Squad Radios operate there too. And probably more I am not aware of other than trunked systems. I was interested in the BC125AT as a MILAIR and Air Show scanner, but the 380 limit stopped me from buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.