Best mobile/HF radio for 300 bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get a new radio for mobile/portable operations, would like to have HF recieve capability with SSB, and I would also like to be able to go portable with it without lugging some huge transciever around, I know abuot the Yaseu FT-817 series but even those are out of my price range. Any suggestions? Even a chinese HF rig would work too. I would also like to see what my options are for FM mobile rigs.Any good suggestions would help. Thanks! :D

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard of a new mobile HF transceiver for under $300.

The few Chinese HF mobiles I've seen are all QRP (Under 15 Watts) and over $500.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Looking to get a new radio for mobile/portable operations, would like to have HF receive capability with SSB, and I would also like to be able to go portable with it without lugging some huge transceiver around, I know about the Yaseu FT-817 series but even those are out of my price range. Any suggestions? Even a Chinese HF rig would work too. I would also like to see what my options are for FM mobile rigs.Any good suggestions would help. Thanks! :D

You may need to provide more details on what you are looking for. You mention wanting a "new radio for mobile/portable operations, would like to have HF receive capability with SSB". If you are only looking for receive capability then any SW receiver with SSB such as the Tecsun PL-880 or equivalent would work.

Were you looking for HF SSB transmit capability too? With a Technician class license (same as I have), you don't have much in the way of transmit privileges in the HF bands. Effective antennas for HF transmit on a mobile/portable radio are also going to be a factor, for size and for cost.

You also ask what your options are for FM Mobile radios. Is that for a separate radio or did you want to combine it with the HF requirements? If you wanted all of these functions in one radio, the Yaseu FT-817 series you mention is one of the few that can do this in one package but they are not cheap.

prcguy

Up that to $400 and you can start to find deals on used HF radios like possibly a Yaesu FT-857 or Icom 706 series. Under $400 and your choices will be limited to much older equipment. If your looking for new you will need about $650 to even start looking at a reasonable quality 100w HF rig.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.