What's worth listening to in Ft. Worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'll be in Fort Worth for a few days next week and might bring my 436HP with me. I've read that FWPD and most other LE on the new trunk is encrypted. Are any LE agencies listenable? How about FD and EMS?

Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'll be in Fort Worth for a few days next week and might bring my 436HP with me. I've read that FWPD and most other LE on the new trunk is encrypted. Are any LE agencies listenable? How about FD and EMS?

Thanks.
Gary,

These agencies on the FWRRS are encrypted:
FWPD
Arlington PD
Grand Prairie PD
Fire & EMS is in the clear for these.

Tarrant County and the other cities on layers 1 & 2 are not encrypted, neither is NETCO, Mansfield, Johnson County, Irving, and Midlothian/Red Oak. Cleburne, on the Johnson County layer, has one encrypted PD TGID, but everything else, including all the Fire & EMS, is in the clear.

If you have the DMR upgrade (I believe you do, right?), then you might also add the CareFlite talkgroups on the Megahertz system. They dispatch both ground ambulances as well as their medevac copter off that system. AirEvac and PHI Air Medical are also active in the area.

Depending on where in the county you'll be, you can likely also pick up the Parker County system and the Denton County P25 system. You should also be able to get Dallas PD & Fire/EMS on their conventional Uhf frequencies.

DFW Airport is still on their ProVoice system, but are supposed to move to a P25 Phase II system by the end of this year. I am hearing occasional traffic on the new system now.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I do have DMR, so might try that. I've had so-so luck getting Dallas in the past, but will try it.

As it happens, I'll be in Weathersford for a couple of days duck hunting. Yeah, I know it's early and going to be warm, but it's our only window of opportunity. Maybe I'll program that in as well.

I'll be right in downtown Ft. Worth, so that's mostly what I'd want to hear.

Gary,

These agencies on the FWRRS are encrypted:
FWPD
Arlington PD
Grand Prairie PD
Fire & EMS is in the clear for these.

Tarrant County and the other cities on layers 1 & 2 are not encrypted, neither is NETCO, Mansfield, Johnson County, Irving, and Midlothian/Red Oak. Cleburne, on the Johnson County layer, has one encrypted PD TGID, but everything else, including all the Fire & EMS, is in the clear.

If you have the DMR upgrade (I believe you do, right?), then you might also add the CareFlite talkgroups on the Megahertz system. They dispatch both ground ambulances as well as their medevac copter off that system. AirEvac and PHI Air Medical are also active in the area.

Depending on where in the county you'll be, you can likely also pick up the Parker County system and the Denton County P25 system. You should also be able to get Dallas PD & Fire/EMS on their conventional Uhf frequencies.

DFW Airport is still on their ProVoice system, but are supposed to move to a P25 Phase II system by the end of this year. I am hearing occasional traffic on the new system now.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I do have DMR, so might try that. I've had so-so luck getting Dallas in the past, but will try it.

As it happens, I'll be in Weathersford for a couple of days duck hunting. Yeah, I know it's early and going to be warm, but it's our only window of opportunity. Maybe I'll program that in as well.

I'll be right in downtown Ft. Worth, so that's mostly what I'd want to hear.
If you're going to be in Weatherford, then the Parker County system is what covers that. We are supposed to get cooler temps this weekend, so maybe the front will push a few toward you.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Sunday, maybe. Saturday is going to be too warm. Best year we had up there it was 32 degrees at sun up. Froze, but had a good time and got a lot of them.

If you're going to be in Weatherford, then the Parker County system is what covers that. We are supposed to get cooler temps this weekend, so maybe the front will push a few toward you.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
As a sort of incident notificatiion. You can follow several accounts on Twitter.
@ScannerRadioDFW , @DFWscanner , @midcitysscanner or @ArlingtonScan1 are the most active and all but the first have associated Facebook pages. These are provided by hobbyist so are not active 24/7 but still give a pretty good heads up of major incidents in the area. Mostly on the Tarrant County side, but best of all they are free.

garys

Premium Subscriber
As it turned out, it was the exact opposite of what it should have been. Saturday was a good day and we hit them pretty hard. Sunday started out promising, but then the wind died down to nothing. We still got some, but the ducks weren't buying it because there was no wind to land into. Still worth it, though.

In FW now with the scanner running. Since it's Sunday, it's pretty quiet. A few fire and EMS calls, but nothing else going on. I'm staying down town and getting both layers very well.

I'm going to add in the Megahertz DMR system and see if it's active.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As it turned out, it was the exact opposite of what it should have been. Saturday was a good day and we hit them pretty hard. Sunday started out promising, but then the wind died down to nothing. We still got some, but the ducks weren't buying it because there was no wind to land into. Still worth it, though.

In FW now with the scanner running. Since it's Sunday, it's pretty quiet. A few fire and EMS calls, but nothing else going on. I'm staying down town and getting both layers very well.

I'm going to add in the Megahertz DMR system and see if it's active.
That can get busy, sometimes with 4 or more copters on missions. I would advise only specifying the Careflite TGID's and not using ID Search. There are a large number of other users on that system, including construction companies.

Also put in PHI Air Med and AirEvac in the area (see the DFW section of Texas Medevac).

I sometimes check FlightRadar24 to see how many units are up.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

That can get busy, sometimes with 4 or more copters on missions. I would advise only specifying the Careflite TGID's and not using ID Search. There are a large number of other users on that system, including construction companies.

Also put in PHI Air Med and AirEvac in the area (see the DFW section of Texas Medevac).

I sometimes check FlightRadar24 to see how many units are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.