• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G1 or G5 receiving text messages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
In the past I owned the G1 GSM model. I did purchase the AT&T sim card and was receiving GSM text 2g or 3G can not remember. Anyway the feature was really nice to have. I have noticed the G1 no longer lists the GSM model option. The antenna was retained for protection of the knobs is what i was told. Can anyone confirm if this feature is truly gone from current models and never to return ? I know we all are waiting on unication to provide the p25 phase 2 upgrade which is to me the very needed upgrade for where i live. But I would love to see Unication bring the text message feature back in the G1 and G5 , hopefully to work on the 4G LTE networks of GSM or CDMA. I would love to have only one pager to grab. That would be be the holy grail to me my Dual Band vhf/700-800 mhz analog / digital phase 1 and 2 plus receive text message from local fire dept dispatches and IPN dispatch alerts. Wow! what a pipe dream. crazy thing is its really almost there.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
In the past I owned the G1 GSM model. I did purchase the AT&T sim card and was receiving GSM text 2g or 3G can not remember. Anyway the feature was really nice to have. I have noticed the G1 no longer lists the GSM model option. The antenna was retained for protection of the knobs is what i was told. Can anyone confirm if this feature is truly gone from current models and never to return ? I know we all are waiting on unication to provide the p25 phase 2 upgrade which is to me the very needed upgrade for where i live. But I would love to see Unication bring the text message feature back in the G1 and G5 , hopefully to work on the 4G LTE networks of GSM or CDMA. I would love to have only one pager to grab. That would be be the holy grail to me my Dual Band vhf/700-800 mhz analog / digital phase 1 and 2 plus receive text message from local fire dept dispatches and IPN dispatch alerts. Wow! what a pipe dream. crazy thing is its really almost there.
The whole text message capability in the G's is a dead topic. The cell companies all wanted each pager to be a separate cell phone account. Obviously that made the cost of text messaging through the G's prohibitive. Who wants to pay for a separate cell phone just to receive text messages and a limited source at that when you're already carrying a real cell phone that can receive text messages from any source and send them to any source. Remember that your G could only send and receive text messages to/from a console that was equipped with Unication's dispatch equipment.

I verified this through one of Unication's largest dealers when we received our first shipment.

It was a good idea, but way too limited in scope and planning.

Mr_Boh

It’s not prohibitive if you do pay as you go. Can’t remember the exact price but it was like $5 for 1,000 messages with services like Tracfone or Ting.

That said I would buy a G5 today I could get it with GSM

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
It’s not prohibitive if you do pay as you go. Can’t remember the exact price but it was like $5 for 1,000 messages with services like Tracfone or Ting.

That said I would buy a G5 today I could get it with GSM

I had the AT&T pay as you go sim card which gave me some many text messages per month. It worked great until they discontinued the 2G service and upgraded to the 4G LTE. Of course 4G is a better data network. If the G1 was able to use the 4g simcard then I would have had nationwide data coverage on my G1. I wish the G5 would of had that option. I assuming it was not built with a sim card slot for future expansion.

Mr_Boh

I had the AT&T pay as you go sim card which gave me some many text messages per month. It worked great until they discontinued the 2G service and upgraded to the 4G LTE. Of course 4G is a better data network. If the G1 was able to use the 4g simcard then I would have had nationwide data coverage on my G1. I wish the G5 would of had that option. I assuming it was not built with a sim card slot for future expansion.

At one point I saw documentation stating it was going to be an option. But that doc also referenced other colors for the G4/5 and a couple other interesting models. Thinking they had to adjust plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.