Whats up with the bad launguage

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
There are numerous postings all over the internet about a couple of infamous stupid activities on some HF frequencies. Here is one https://forums.radioreference.com/a...iscussion/323547-music-playing-3-840-lsb.html. A search will review numerous You-tubes as well. The thinking is to leave them to 1 frequency and they may go away. FCC has called out one on 3840. 13313 has been cleaned up. As with anything legal, it takes time.

SCPD

QRT
Oh, I wouldn't be too upset, at least if you think this is something new, VGI. This is an old ham radio problem. Want to really appreciate it?.. be a woman on certain segments of those trash bands (75) .
I talk'd about this with my grandfather, years ago - ** He told me that he thought it all began when hams start'd using a microphone. Before that, when just about everything was CW, it was an uncommon- though not unheard of- to be profane on the air. There were plenty of "LIDS" and childish behaviors, but Chirping out four letter words in Morse just doesn't have that certain cach'e, that same impact- as a good dump into a microphone..... ;)

Personally, I steer clear of those bands... too many more interesting thing to do, people to meet-- on ham radio- than to get in a tither over a handful of boorish goons,
...................CF

**he was a ham from the pre- WW2 days....(also a highly decorated aviator in the 8th AF during it)

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Because we live in the U.S.of A., we have the freedom of speech protection.
Actually, "Freedom of Speech" only applies to not having one's speech muted by governments (local, state, federal). Even that principally applies to "political speech" though.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
There were plenty of "LIDS" and childish behaviors, but Chirping out four letter words in Morse just doesn't have that certain cach'e, that same impact- as a good dump into a microphone..... ;)
:D Honestly, you do have a way with words, Laurie...

Whenever someone annoys me enough, I'll chirp out ... .... .. _ ._ ... ...
and no one is the wiser! :lol:

bill4long

03.840.00KHz its like a C.B. world with MF this and MF that. This make us look bad.:evil:

What's up with it? It's a bunch of guys who like to use profanity. Whether or not "it makes us look bad" is of no consequence. These guys do what they do, and there's nothing anyone can do about it (legally.) Profanity isn't illegal on amateur radio and nobody is forcing you to listen to them. Luckily it's only one frequency on 75m and 7.200 on 40m. (There are a couple of notorious ones out west.)

Last edited:

bill4long

13313 has been cleaned up. As with anything legal, it takes time.

14.313 was not actually "cleaned up." A couple of people got busted for jamming and other illegal activities, but nobody got busted for profanity, since it is not illegal. 14.313 got "cleaned up" because these days propagation on 20m sucks compared to yesteryear. Most of the bad actors moved to 7.200.

RFBOSS

I find it boring hearing them over and over, there are so many more descriptors available.

KD4UXQ

Always best to just ignore them. People like that are always looking for an audience. They are missing something in their lives that causes them to seek attention. Let them get caught doing something that violates other rules. It is unfortunate that first amendment rights have been extended beyond the original meaning as it relates to suppression by the government in political speech, or speaking about grievances with the government. It was intended to prevent an oppressive government, not to allow something that violates my rights to not have to be forced to hear it or see it. See if you have first amendment rights in the workplace.The way it has been interpreted, one could argue that yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire is protected speech. Really, why not in light of everything else that is being protected by the first amendment?

com501

You do not have a right to not being offended. You have the ability to not listen or view something that offends you. That is what freedom of speech all about. The GOVERNMENT cannot impair your rights.

I use 3840 to gauge band propagation since it is easy to figure out where these folks are. -And they are always on there....

RFBOSS

Why do you listen to them? Is your VFO stuck? :)

Okay, I see the smile.

But to be clear...

You have no first hand knowledge of my listening habits.

How would you know if I continued to listen even though I find it boring, or if I do not listen to them at all because I find it boring.

I mean no disrespect, but I see some that jump to conclusions far to often as a criticism of a post.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Before that, when just about everything was CW, it was an uncommon- though not unheard of- to be profane on the air.
I did get hit with a profanity barrage out one afternoon using a sound card digital mode, maybe Olivia. Of course, that's just substituting a keyboard in place of a microphone. Kinda like being profane on Facebook. ;)

bill4long

How would you know if I continued to listen even though I find it boring, or if I do not listen to them at all because I find it boring... I mean no disrespect, but I see some that jump to conclusions far to often as a criticism of a post.

Well, you said, "I find it boring hearing them over and over".

RFBOSS

I do find it boring hearing it over and over. The XXXX radio, the XXXX antenna, the XXXX propagation and so on. The same words over and over.

It is simple, really.

I may be listening/involved in a conversation about a topic that I am interested in, and then along comes a string of 4 letter words. As I said I find it boring. Depending on the situation I may stay or I may go. This is the point.

You have no way of knowing what I will do.

This is the answer to your question.

SCPD

QRT
Far be it for me to change the tone of this topic, but getting lock'd into complaining over and over, about some off-colour'd language used over Ham radio gets Very old, and very fast. Its nothing new, its not going to stop, it isn't a First Amendment issue- but it sure does excite a passion in oh-so many!
I'll try to make this more interesting by looping back to my comments about CW, and the apparent lack of profanity back in the 'good old days.'--
What I said earlier isn't quite right- the old telegraphers could chew you out royally.. but they just did it with such style... they had to, it was in code !
I have a great aunt who was a Marconi Girl- circa the Titanic Days. After I posted my earlier comment, I decided to pull out her radio diaries-her notebooks that she kept-- that were passed down to me thru my grandfather.
And quite revealing they are too ! My mild Aunt Phryne (not her name, but might as well be !--do look Phryne up.... ;) ) Aunt Phryne--- and her compatriots had quite a list of 'signals' they would send each other, either in jest or in complaint.
This is Victoria/Edwardian era stuff, but the colourful language and descriptions they used, I can't, today, with out blushing-- copy into here. If anyone digs into this, their "90" codes are really something-- You would not want Aunt Phryne, or her sisters, sending any of them to you !
How many of you out there have actually used CW ? I can't say I have done much with it,-- but I do have an Advanced Class US license, (13WPM's, one of the last to be taken in front of an FCC examiner)... and I had an all-privilege class UK license (requiring a bloody nasty Morse exam-sending and receiving, numbers, punctuation marks etc.)-- so I have some bona fides.....
.... Plus, I have a straight key which I pull out during Blue Moons... 1.805+/-, and somewhere in the 30 metre band are my haunts.........
So saying, I grew up with Morse, and this, my forever, all purpose "Q-Signal"

QLF? - Are you sending with your left foot?
QBS - Clean the bird sh*t off your antenna so you can hear me
QAS? - Are you speaking out of your a*s?
And my favorite:
QWC? - Who cares?

........................CF

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've always taken the position that ham radio has something for absolutely everyone, you just have to go looking for it.

If you run into the nonsense on 3840, or 14.313, or 147.435, and are offended by it, spin the dial and keep looking. You haven't found your niche yet. You just found someone elses.

Status
Not open for further replies.