City towing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

Good Morning,
When listing to city towing on 453.775 I always wondered who T-2 is? Is this a towing supervisor?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Nope, it's the dispatcher.

I believe it's a Foreman. The Dispatcher's are at City Hall...if they want them they call "Main". "2462 to Main"..."2462 to Main for T-2".

E & R Towing handles the other tows. They're on the Diga-Talk NXDN system. I believe when a tow is requested, it's at the discretion of "T-2" whether a city tow or E & R handles it., probably depending on availability.

Chicago2210

I believe it's a Foreman. The Dispatcher's are at City Hall...if they want them they call "Main". "2462 to Main"..."2462 to Main for T-2".

E & R Towing handles the other tows. They're on the Diga-Talk NXDN system. I believe when a tow is requested, it's at the discretion of "T-2" whether a city tow or E & R handles it., probably depending on availability.
Interesting, I have noticed that at 3AM during the overnight winter parking ban, T-2 often calls people on 453.775, who is he talking to if E&R handles these tows?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I have noticed that at 3AM during the overnight winter parking ban, T-2 often calls people on 453.775, who is he talking to if E&R handles these tows?

Talking to city tow trucks i'm sure. E&R is dispatched on the Diga-Talk system and send the jobs to computers in the their tow trucks. City tow trucks will be called out to relocate "re-lows" and then a tow will be requested in the owner hasn't made his/her own arrangements through insurance. City tow trucks respond for Priority tows/Crime Scene tows (Might here it referred to as an Article 36 tow-hold for investigation). For an E&R tow, CPD officer fills out a Tow Case report/ Supervisor comes out and signs off on it, Beat car then "drops it in the basket" that each District station has, E&R will come out at their own discretion, pick up the Tow case in the District, then go tow the car.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Found this online Vehicle Towing and Relocation Operations now how would this apply to towing illegally parked cars? Such as those parked in fire hydrants and bus stops?

Request an immediate tow and give the reason to the dispatcher. The beat car get's an S&S number and takes the tow case into the station to "drop it in the basket". Streets and San is then responsible for the rest.

Chicago2210

Including if they will tow it themselves or if E&R will? I believe you said that it is often at T-2's desecration, right?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Including if they will tow it themselves or if E&R will? I believe you said that it is often at T-2's desecration, right?

For the exact answer, we'd need the Streets and Sanitation directive on what the criteria is. It's been my understanding from listening that E & R handles the accident tows when the owner can't or is unable to acquire one himself/herself, and abandoned vehicle tows. For illegal parking, most of the time CPD or Streets will drop a ticket and go on the way. We never know, they could use a third party tow company too depending on the Procurement process etc.

Chicago2210

I wonder if the tow report is a paper report or if its done via the PDT? From reading it sounds like it's done on paper.

oemctx4

T2 and "Radio Main" are in Rm300 at OEMC they moved in 2006

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Over the past week, heard a couple of calls for "immediate tows" requested on the Zone. Since I have NXDN trunking capability and E & R towing talk groups in their own section, started listening. Within a short period if time, the E & R dispatcher called his truck on the radio, gave the address and told the driver "I'm sending it through your teletrac". Vehicle(s) were picked up, tow truck called out "I'm 10-17 to the Pound with (1/2), and didn't hear anything else until they were "10-8 from 2".

The Zone dispatcher always cautions beat cars about ordering "re-lo's" vs "tow" because it will take too long. I was listening to the Streets and Sanitation tow trucks this weekend and they were dispatching throughout the city, but no mention of priorities. However, when it came to the Central Business District or Lake Shore Drive crashes, they moved on it. Most went to the Central Auto Pound on Lower Wacker Dr.

Chicago2210

Over the past week, heard a couple of calls for "immediate tows" requested on the Zone. Since I have NXDN trunking capability and E & R towing talk groups in their own section, started listening. Within a short period if time, the E & R dispatcher called his truck on the radio, gave the address and told the driver "I'm sending it through your teletrac". Vehicle(s) were picked up, tow truck called out "I'm 10-17 to the Pound with (1/2), and didn't hear anything else until they were "10-8 from 2".

The Zone dispatcher always cautions beat cars about ordering "re-lo's" vs "tow" because it will take too long. I was listening to the Streets and Sanitation tow trucks this weekend and they were dispatching throughout the city, but no mention of priorities. However, when it came to the Central Business District or Lake Shore Drive crashes, they moved on it. Most went to the Central Auto Pound on Lower Wacker Dr.
Interesting, considering that you said that when a tow is requested it is at T-2's discretion as to who will handle? I would imagine that T-2 would call E&R on the phone?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, considering that you said that when a tow is requested it is at T-2's discretion as to who will handle? I would imagine that T-2 would call E&R on the phone?

It would appear that way. Zone Dispatchers type it up, and after sending it through the notification desk, who then issues the beat car requesting it a "SS Number"...Streets and Sanitation Number. The cars were both involved in accidents and rolled over, so they moved pretty quick.

Chicago2210

It would appear that way. Zone Dispatchers type it up, and after sending it through the notification desk, who then issues the beat car requesting it a "SS Number"...Streets and Sanitation Number. The cars were both involved in accidents and rolled over, so they moved pretty quick.

What is the notification desk? Is this at OEMC or in the district, thanks?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What is the notification desk? Is this at OEMC or in the district, thanks?

OEMC...Citywide 7 dispatcher handles the notifications. Com-Ed, Traffic Light s out etc. Dispatcher or the 2nd person on the Zone who you don't hear dispatching, is running plates, typing up notifications, making lunch tickets etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.