Mixing Conventional & Trunked

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfdradio

Premium Subscriber
Here is my situation. I have Conventional users that also have access to a trunked radio system. So I may want to listen to the trunked system for County Police (by itself).

I also want to listen to The State Police (Conventional) with two talkgroups on the County trunked system.

I also have a couple Fire Departments (Conventional) with nine talkgroups on the County trunked system for Emergency Operations (Large scale events).

I'm looking for your suggestion on how you would handle this.

Hypothetical setup -
Fire QK1,
State Police QK3
County Police SQK 2

I would like to listen to Fire and and the talkgroups on the trunked system. Using QK1

I would like to hear the State Police and their 2 talkgroups on the trunked system. Using QK 3

Do I need to copy the trunking system and assign QK1 with the fire talkgroups?

Thanks in advance

marksmith

Here is my situation. I have Conventional users that also have access to a trunked radio system. So I may want to listen to the trunked system for County Police (by itself).

I also want to listen to The State Police (Conventional) with two talkgroups on the County trunked system.

I also have a couple Fire Departments (Conventional) with nine talkgroups on the County trunked system for Emergency Operations (Large scale events).

I'm looking for your suggestion on how you would handle this.

Hypothetical setup -
Fire QK1,
State Police QK3
County Police SQK 2

I would like to listen to Fire and and the talkgroups on the trunked system. Using QK1

I would like to hear the State Police and their 2 talkgroups on the trunked system. Using QK 3

Do I need to copy the trunking system and assign QK1 with the fire talkgroups?

Thanks in advance
If it were me I would put all the trunked stuff that you want to listen to under one iteration of the system and one quick key.

Then the conventional stuff on s second quick key, which if I understand it right, is probably just a duplication of the state police conventional stuff, only patched to the trunked system.

Putting a second iteration of the trunked system will work, but it will increase the chance of missing transmissions. First, it takes a second or two to lock the control channel and check for just certain talkgroups on the system, and then does that again for the second iteration. It will check for everything you want to hear on the trunked system by just putting it in once.

Also, if the conventional state police and fire ate just repeated on the trunked system, I would probably not bother with the conventional. That way you have continuous connection to the trunked system control channel.

Just my 2 cents. If what is on the conventional for SP and fire is different than what is on the trunked system you could put those separately on as many quick keys as you like as they take no time to scan, unlike the trunked system that takes 1-2 seconds just to log on and check for activity each cycle.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Last edited:

pfdradio

Premium Subscriber
Maybe this will clear things up a little

The State Police have their own separate radio system, but they also have two tallkgroups on the County Trunked system. I was looking to push #3 (Quick Key) and have it bring up the State Police and also the two talkgroups on the County Trunk system.

I guess the question is do I need to copy the trunked system with only those two talkgroups? And assign them to #3 as well

marksmith

Maybe this will clear things up a little

The State Police have their own separate radio system, but they also have two tallkgroups on the County Trunked system. I was looking to push #3 (Quick Key) and have it bring up the State Police and also the two talkgroups on the County Trunk system.

I guess the question is do I need to copy the trunked system with only those two talkgroups? And assign them to #3 as well
The short answer is yes.
You would basically need to create a trunked system with just a few talkgroups, and a conventional system, and assign them both the same QK.

As I indicated with my first response, if you then create that system again for the fire groups, you are in essence scanning the same system twice, once for your SP groups, and once for your fire groups. This will work.

While it may be elegant in terms of pushing keys to listen to things, it is inefficient in terms of setting up the radio for scanning.

If activity in the SP groups takes place while your radio is scanning that system for fire, you will miss it, and vice versa. The radio also will not receive anything for about 2 seconds each scan cycle, while it is reconnecting to the same trunk control channel.

You can do what you want to do, but I would recommend leaving it one system and checking all SP and Fire groups each time you scan the system. You will miss less if you are scanning all items you listed.

If it is real important that you only hear fire or SP alone, and not both, your plan works.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
So in other words, the state police is "jumping" off their trunked system and on to the county trunk trunk system where they have a couple of talkgroups? If yes, then you'd have to create both the state police and the county system (separately) but use the same System Quick Key.

Otherwise I fully concur with marksmith's advice.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I would break them up into separate banks. But I have done a mix of trunked and analog systems in my scanners and they work just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.