TRX-1: Bleeping awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankees6161

Just bought the TRX-1 and it blows away my 436hp. I have them programmed the same with 800 MHz antennas on both. the TRX picks up more than the 436 not sure why... Any thoughts?

K2RNI

Yeah I noticed the same thing too. The 436HP is pretty deaf/insensitive. Even with the same antennas it picks up less than the 396XT. It's a shame because I really wanted to stick with Uniden though I actually ended up liking Whistler more. I really like the Spectrum Sweeper more than the close call feature.

paulears

I agree they're quite sensitive, but they are horrible to use especially mobile. I hate mine more and more each long journey. They are not easy to use when you are driving, and the worst thing is the terrible start up time from cold - fair enough with lots of scan lists a minute isn't that bad - BUT - it's a minute when you stall, and it's a minute if the battery voltage dips with a vehicle with the dreaded save the planet engine stop/start feature. On top of this, the operating system stinks. You never quite know what it is doing, and while searching this morning, two people were having a chat on my Yaesu in the van - VERY strong and the whistler didn't stop! Looks like the channel was locked out - no idea why? 145.550 isn't that busy? The idea is good, but it's just too complex. You can't see what the thing is doing, and no easy way to go back a few scan channels when it stopped but on the wrong channel. I like many things, but it's simply too complicated and repeatedly does weird things. Like misidentifying digital signals as FM and treating you to a loud burst of data. If it cannot identify a transmission, then please - mute it! Seeing two people talking on Motorola radios a few metres away didn't get noticed, but I found them on the Yaesu, and having a hand held, I entered that frequency and it decoded the DMR - the whistler didn't - it said it was FM. Maybe I have something set wrong, but I can't find it. In hindsight, I wish I'd not bought it. Too clever for it's own operating system. Plenty of neat features, but the constant switching off mobile is a real pain - all my other devices in the van just dip and recover when the starter engages, apart from the Whistler, which goes off and has to be manually started up again, which driving wise, is not good.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
My BCD436HP picks up the same amount of transmissions as my Whistler TRX-1. No issues for me.

The TRX-1 is slower to load the database. MUCH slower. The alpha tagging is very limited. The screen is very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.