• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola APX 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey! Hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread. I'm considering buying an APX 4000 in the coming weeks. Are all the accessories interchangeable on the APX series of radios? Batteries? RSM? Chargers? Has anyone had any experience specifically with the 4000? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Thanks for any information you can provide!

thinblueline42

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between Onteora and Ganienkeh, NY
Hey! Hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread. I'm considering buying an APX 4000 in the coming weeks. Are all the accessories interchangeable on the APX series of radios? Batteries? RSM? Chargers? Has anyone had any experience specifically with the 4000? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Thanks for any information you can provide!

The APX 2000 and 4000 use the same batteries, but a battery from an APX 6000, 7000, or 8000 will not work. They also use different charging bases as well. The APX series uses all of the same accessories and all have the same connector.

I have an APX 4000 and an 8000. IMHO, I would suggest going with at least a 6000. The 4000 seems chunky to me and I much prefer the ergonomic "T" style shape that the upper tier radios have. Plus, I like the larger screen and top screen on my 8000 as well. Don't get me wrong, the 4000 gets the job done and is a very effective P25 radio in a small package. I just prefer the enhanced features that the upper level radios have to offer.

Good luck with your purchase and be careful of what you buy if using eBay. There's a lot of illegitimate radios floating around out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mancow

Database Admin
I would love to have an 8000 but they cost as much as a good used car.

Can I hijack the thread a bit and ask if the 8000 can scan trunked and conventional in the same list?

shawn1899

Yes it can scan conventional and trunked in same list as long as the list is set to multi system scan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BlackSheepDue

The apx900 would also be worth considering if you can get your hands on one. A better radio than the 4000 in a similar size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for all the great information! I am eternally grateful! Thinblueline42 excellent information! Thank you!

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
What he said. I would just like to note that you're limited to 5 conventional channels when using Multi-System Scan.

Per Scan List, Multi-System Talkgroup Scan is limited to five (5) Trunking Systems, with up to fifty (50) Scan List Member channels per Trunking System, and may include up to ten (10) Conventional Scan List Member channels. However, the maximum per Scan List is 250 Scan List Member channels.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Calling an APX900 a better radio than the APX4000 is like calling a Mercedes C Class a better car than the S Class. The APX900 cannot do 3600 baud trunking BTW. :p

Older APX4000's have one multi-function knob (think Uniden scanner) for volume and channel changing...older XE and all new 4000's have standard two knob design, but get a bit beefier up top.

Paul

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
We have around 300 of the 2-knob 4000s and 30 1-knob earlier versions on our system. Since the OP did not advise what his/her intended user is, I will assume public safety.

My thoughts on the radio: it's about the same build quality as an XPR7550. A solid business class radio. It lacks RF connections on the UC, so forget using an APX PSM. Audio output is a little lacking at 500mw through the internal speaker, better with an RSM. Pretty hard to hear one on the side of a busy highway with traffic rolling by.

Battery life in a trunking environment with the standard NNTN8128 is around 9 hours before you're getting a low battery alert. Opt for the larger battery if your agency runs 12 hour shifts.

Display is hard to read from an angle. Can't tell any difference in RF performance between these and the APX6000's and 8000's we bought as part of our purchase. They all seem to have great RF performance as can be expected.

and contrary to popular belief, there is no "XE" version of this radio. Motorola made a 1-knob version, then the 2-knob came later. The 2-knob does have a thicker control top but it is not designated as an "XE" model and certainly does not have the same IP68 rating as say, an APX6000XE or APX8000XE. So I would not consider this a radio appropriate for IDLH or fire use.

Status
Not open for further replies.