Windows 10 to Windows 8 reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I am going back to Windows 8 from Windows 10 on a old computer because of a problem Windows 10 is having with installing Feature update to windows 10 version 1709 over and over, I tried everything to stop it and nothing worked so I went back to Windows 8. Can any one tell me if Windows 8 is going to try and install Windows 10 on the sly and if so can I shut this off, I can't remember if it try's this or not. I don't want this to happen.

Also how much time do I have to re install the free version of Windows 10 Home before I have to buy it, is it the end of this year and then I will have to by Windows 10 Home. I might not even bother with it ??? if they don't fix this problem.
Steve

questnz

Steve, this is well documented problem, just check Mr Google, you not the only one.
Seems to be no single issue with Windows upgrading, old computer hardware, old drivers, antivirus and HD encryption. I am looking after number of computers and many many hard disks, all have to be upgraded. Some do easily some don't. Weekly small upgrades are no problem but major updates are.
My biggest problem is with encrypted HD's or SSD's (Truecrypt or Veracrypt) Anytime I have major update to install I have to decrypt disk before upgrading. Not sure about Windows Bitlocker as I dont use Bitlocker on bootable disks only on data/storage drives.

Anyway, Be persistent dont give up yet, sometime upgrade will fail then you try again and it will complete ?? !!! on the last upgrade some of my disks went to 54% and lock, some to 27% and lock

Best try to download your Media from Microsoft with these tools, it may help, NO guarantee

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Good luck

Saint

Premium Subscriber
info

Steve, this is well documented problem, just check Mr Google, you not the only one.
Seems to be no single issue with Windows upgrading, old computer hardware, old drivers, antivirus and HD encryption. I am looking after number of computers and many many hard disks, all have to be upgraded. Some do easily some don't. Weekly small upgrades are no problem but major updates are.
My biggest problem is with encrypted HD's or SSD's (Truecrypt or Veracrypt) Anytime I have major update to install I have to decrypt disk before upgrading. Not sure about Windows Bitlocker as I dont use Bitlocker on bootable disks only on data/storage drives.

Anyway, Be persistent dont give up yet, sometime upgrade will fail then you try again and it will complete ?? !!! on the last upgrade some of my disks went to 54% and lock, some to 27% and lock

Best try to download your Media from Microsoft with these tools, it may help, NO guarantee

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Good luck
Thanks for the info I have Windows 8 back up and running and I will keep that on untill i get rid of the old computer I run one program one it so I 'm going to get rid of it at the end of the year also the same with my desktop. Will be upgrading everything.thanks again.

Saint

Premium Subscriber

CCT

Can any one tell me if Windows 8 is going to try and install Windows 10 on the sly and if so can I shut this off, I can't remember if it try's this or not. I don't want this to happen.
Just download and install "never 10" from Gibson research. That will block it.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
Also how much time do I have to re install the free version of Windows 10 Home before I have to buy it, is it the end of this year and then I will have to by Windows 10 Home. I might not even bother with it ??? if they don't fix this problem.
You can install win10 at anytime in the future you want. Since you already upgraded once before to win10 your computer already has been registered with a "digital entitlement" license. On win10 reinstall just put in your win8 key if it asks for it.
And as Saint has mentioned, you'll need to install by using the microsoft media creation tool via USB.

A couple thoughts:
- I would imagine 1709 will be rolling out in the win10 usb media creation tool fairly soon, if its not already. Then you can install straight to 1709.

- Are you on windows 8 or 8.1? win8 isn't supported anymore so you should move to 8.1 if you're not. To do this you will need to install all the updates from windows update. Once win8 is fully patched, you'll need to log into the windows store on your PC and get the 8.1 updater patch.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Windows 8.1

Just download and install "never 10" from Gibson research. That will block it.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

You can install win10 at anytime in the future you want. Since you already upgraded once before to win10 your computer already has been registered with a "digital entitlement" license. On win10 reinstall just put in your win8 key if it asks for it.
And as Saint has mentioned, you'll need to install by using the microsoft media creation tool via USB.

A couple thoughts:
- I would imagine 1709 will be rolling out in the win10 usb media creation tool fairly soon, if its not already. Then you can install straight to 1709.

- Are you on windows 8 or 8.1? win8 isn't supported anymore so you should move to 8.1 if you're not. To do this you will need to install all the updates from windows update. Once win8 is fully patched, you'll need to log into the windows store on your PC and get the 8.1 updater patch.

Just in the process of installing all the updates for Windows 8 and then will get the updater for 8.1
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.