Irmo pd on lexington simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrat1234

Has anyone heard irmo police department on the talkgroups.

6150= irmo pd 1
6151= irmo pd 2
When I scan them I don't hear anything and ive been scanning them since they switched to the palmetto p25 system

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Hello and welcome to RR forums. Those are Irmo PD Talkgroups but their dispatch traffic is actually carried over:

24522 Lexington City PDs North - They are the 800 units.

The other talkgroups don't really see any use normally.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I wonder why they don't use there own dispatch channel

I'll offer a theory, but it may not be accurate since I don't live in the area and regularly monitor radio communications there.

Often, small municipalities will be grouped onto a single channel (frequency or talkgroup) to allow the dispatch center to consolidate dispatchers. This allows one dispatcher to serve multiple small municipalities without having to monitor multiple separate dispatch channels.

Spartanburg County has a similar arrangement with their Town channel. It serves PDs in the dozen or so municipalities in the county. But it's separate from the Spartanburg PD and the county Sheriff's Office, each of which has its own set of dispatcher and channels. The dispatch center itself is consolidated and serves the entire county.

I believe that Horry County is an example of smaller PDs sharing a dispatch channel with the County PD region. For example, I believe Atlantic Beach and Briarcliff Acres PDs share the Central Horry County PD dispatch channel and dispatcher. Similarly, Pawleys Island PD shares the Georgetown County Sheriff dispatch channel.

I hope that helps.

mrat1234

24940 616c Pelion PD
24985 6199 Springdale PD
24865 6121 CAYCE PD

i have one more question has anyone heard activity on these talkgroups

c4181

Feed Provider
Pelion is one of the other departments that uses the Lexington City PDs channels but I don't know which one. It would be really nice if someone who knows who's on North, South, & Central would submit it back to the database so we can have that like we used to.

I don't believe I've heard anything on the Springdale channel nor do I know how they're dispatched. Maybe someone more familiar with Lexington County can help.

I've definitely heard activity on the Cayce channel.

holsen

Lexington Town PD

Hello, I have a question about the Lexington town PD. Is it on the Lexington PDs central talk group? If so, is it carried on the Harbison site?

Thanks

mrat1234

The town of lexington pd has 4 talkgroups

5fc9 = central dispatch
5fca = north dispatch
5fab = south dispatch
615d = tac

holsen

Lexington Town PD

Thanks. I have all of those programmed. Irmo and Chapin are using the north talk group and I get them fine on the Harbison site. My question is which talk group is the Town of Lexington using for PD and is it being broadcast on the Harbison site as well as the Lex simulcast? I don't believe I've heard Lexington Town PD yet on Harbison so that's why I'm asking. Thanks!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I believe the intended use/description of those three talkgroups is for use by the multiple municipal PDs within Lexington County. But I can certainly understand the confusion because of the way the talkgroups were labeled. I have changed the descriptions to Town PDs North, Central and South to be less confusing.

I do not believe City of Lexington PD has a dedicated dispatch talkgroup, but instead uses one of these Town PD talkgroups. I don't know which, but I would guess the Central talkgroup. I don't know whether that's regularly carried on the Harbison site or not.

mrat1234

thanks brian i also wonder why Lexington sheriff is encrypted but not the city PDs in lexington county. i have seen alot of letters that have published online asking the sheriff to unencrypt the sheriffs talkgroups but he refused on the old system and this new system.

mrat1234

and brian can you put in the descriptions of irmo pd and lexington pd on the lexington county homepage that they use the town PDs talkgroups

c4181

Feed Provider
I was able to go through an old copy of the database and get which PD is on which channel

Dispatch North - Irmo, Chapin
Dispatch South - Swansea/Gaston/Pelion
Dispatch Central - Lexington/S Congaree/Pine Ridge/Springdale

Will001

Premium Subscriber
can you tell me where to look for the old database so i can look at it

Go to the SC homepage in RR database , then go to "trunked systems", then go to the bottom of the page and click on "Deprecated systems". Once you do that, scroll down until you see Palmetto 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrat1234

i was looking at the palmetto p25 system and i saw 3 towers for richland county.

site names =
Columbia
harbison
richland county simulcast

i was wondering why is there 3 towers for richland county

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i was looking at the palmetto p25 system and i saw 3 towers for richland county.

site names =
Columbia
harbison
richland county simulcast

i was wondering why is there 3 towers for richland county

Its a large county and needs coverage. The Richland Simulcast has 3 towers, Downtown, Killian, & Eastover. Lexington Simulcast also has multiple towers.

The Harbison site carries Richland and Lexington traffic but it is separate from the simulcast.

mrat1234

i also wonder why Lexington sheriff is encrypted but not the city PDs in lexington county. i have seen alot of letters that have published online asking the sheriff to unencrypt the sheriffs talkgroups but he refused on the old system and this new system.

evan

Database Admin
The former sheriff, James Metts, decided to encrypt all radio traffic many years ago. At least one of his arguments for encryption involved the infamous kidnapping and murder of Shari Smith by serial killer Larry Gene Bell. Per old articles, he said media monitoring of radio traffic made it more difficult for the killer to be caught (which may be true). During that time, Lexington Co. SD was on UHF analog conventional channels.

When they decided to encrypt on the old Palmetto 800 system, the sheriff's department was sometimes called the Lexington County Secret Police and there were accusations that the sheriff was hiding something. Interestingly, Metts just got out of federal prison for accepting bribes while he was sheriff...

I am unaware of any comment from the "new" sheriff about whether he considered halting encryption on the new system. I don't see many agencies deciding to reverse encryption decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.