• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor V Programming vs Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisb480

Premium Subscriber
Recently decided to update to Windows 10 and as I have learned, the drivers needed to program my existing Minitor V software no longer works. Can anyone provide an updated driver for the programming software? If it helps, I am using one of those charger converted to a programmer I got off eBay. Worked just fine till I updated to Windows 10. Thank you in advance.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Recently decided to update to Windows 10 and as I have learned, the drivers needed to program my existing Minitor V software no longer works. Can anyone provide an updated driver for the programming software? If it helps, I am using one of those charger converted to a programmer I got off eBay. Worked just fine till I updated to Windows 10. Thank you in advance.
If your programmer uses a USB cable with a Prolific chip, here is the probable fix:

The driver for the cable is too new. Win 10 will always get and install the latest driver for USB devices. You probably have an older Prolific chip in your USB programming cable, and it might even be a clone or counterfeit. Newer drivers detect the clones and won't run them.

The trick is to roll back your driver to an earlier version that your cable will like. Right click on the start button on the taskbar and select Device Manager. Go to the Ports (COM & LPT), and double click it. It will give you your USB chip type and cable. Mine says Prolific USB-to-serial Comm Port (COM 6). Double click that and then select the driver tab. It will tell you the version of the driver. If it is any newer than any 3.2.x.x driver, it won't work.

Go out on the net and find Prolific 2303 version 3.2.x.x and install it on your computer. Then do the Device Manager thing. On the Driver tab, there's a button to Update Driver. Select that and then follow the "on my computer" choices to install the lower version driver.

Then reload the CPS and it should work fine. Just a word of caution: you will probably have to roll back the driver whenever you want to program the radio again. Mine holds the driver for several reloads, but eventually self upgrades to the newer driver and then I have to roll it back again. A small pain, but it does solve the problem.

There are lots of posts on the net to be found for the searching if you want more details. Just don't get too specific in your search terms. The problem is Win 10 and the Prolific drivers. Just learn about and solve the Prolific driver issue.

chrisb480

Premium Subscriber
I will give that a try, thank you very much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.