• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is AM used for anything other than AM Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFFR

Hi there,

I'm trying to determine if AM is used for any signal types other than AM broadcasts. I did some googling and was able to find that SSB is considered a "variant" of AM....is it still an AM signal? Aside from SSB, is there anything else that uses AM?

TIA

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
AM is 'legal' on pretty well all the ham bands where voice is used. AM Frequencies The only reason it's no longer common is because SSB is so much more efficient.

I hear quite a bit of AM on 80 and 160 meters.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Yeah, AM is still being used on many frequencies.
As 'jwt873' posted about the 80 and 160 meters; there's a collection of hams who use only AM and jokingly detest other modes of transmissions. I can't remember the website they employ, but it's an interesting forum.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Here's one that is a little in the weeds - HAR or Highway Advisory Radio stations. These use AM since you can hear them on the upper end of the AM broadcast band from about 1600 kHz to 1710 kHz. When you are on a major highway you'll see signs directing you to a specific frequency on you AM radio for latest announcements.

Talking Signs and low power (100 mW) TalkingHouses used AM too.

Not sure since the digital transmission but I thought TV audio or the video was AM; feel free to shoot this one down fellow forum-ers. :)

jackj

AM stands for Amplitude Modulation so Single Side Band is AM. It just has the carrier as well as one side band removed. The old NTSC video standard was partial side band, suppressed carrier, can't come up with the word for it. Digital transmission uses AM as well as FM at the same time.

nd5y

The old NTSC video standard was partial side band, suppressed carrier, can't come up with the word for it. Digital transmission uses AM as well as FM at the same time.
Vestigial sideband.
Not all digital formats use both AM and FM at the same time. Some have neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.