Whistler legacy upgrade or unauthorized firmware update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoni

I'm looking at a used Pro-668 which, according to the seller,
"has been made to work & function like a WS1080".
He doesn't know if it has the Whistler legacy upgrade or
an unauthorized firmware update.

How does one tell? A firmware number?

The scanner is not in my possession, but
I can ask him to check it out.
Thanks for any insight.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
if it is on CPU firmware 4.7 or 4.8 it is Official....if it is on a lower number then it is UNOFFICIAL

.If on unofficial and it still receives DMR the it is not locked and can use the $59.00 legacy upgrade.

If it doesn't receive DMR then it's LOCKED and will cost $89.99 for the legacy upgrade.

fredva

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, by changing version numbers, some people make it difficult to know whether you are buying something that is supported by the manufacturer, or something unsupported that has less value.

An officially upgraded scanner should say Whistler on startup. I'm not sure whether the unsupported ones say that.

Last edited:

AtlasFBG2

If it has the official Whistler legacy upgrade the BootVer:RF1.1 is a higher number I believe. Like BootVer:RF2.0 I think.

Someone who has done the official legacy upgrade can hold down the menu button then press power and post what their bootver is.

Last edited:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
If it has the official Whistler legacy upgrade the BootVer:RF1.1 is a higher number I believe. Like BootVer:RF2.0 I think.

Someone who has done the official legacy upgrade can hold down the menu button then press power and post what their bootver is.
Hello,

If the boot version is 2.0, then it is the official legacy upgrade.

73 Eric

Markoni

Unfortunately, by changing version numbers, some people make it difficult to know whether you are buying something that is supported by the manufacturer, or something unsupported that has less value.

An officially upgraded scanner should say Whistler on startup. I'm not sure whether the unsupported ones say that.

I'm guessing It's official:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 7.57.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 7.57.28 PM.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 279

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing It's official:

Your picture proves nothing as all that in the picture can be input by the user via ezscan.

Follow Eric's directions for the answer. as it is the only true way to determine if it is on official or unofficial whistler firmware.

Markoni

Your picture proves nothing as all that in the picture can be input by the user via ezscan.

Follow Eric's directions for the answer. as it is the only true way to determine if it is on official or unofficial whistler firmware.
Got it (Did I mention I’m a neophyte?). :)
Thankful for your (and Erics, et al) assistance.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.