Amazon Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
How do I turn off those Amazon Ads at the top of every page - they are of absolutely no relevance to me and generally distract from this great site. Don't say the goods are cheap - they may be in the US but delivery charges greatly outweigh the benfit. Most of the stuff advertised comes from China which I can access directly.

Thanks.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Sites like this arent free to run.
Paid membership helps and if your not paid the ads support that.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Some of us are willing to pay our way and some are not.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Last edited by a moderator:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If more web sites started charging, I'd be willing to pay subscription fees to get rid of the ads, trackers, privacy invasions, and other annoyances.

But you're not willing to pay fees to a beneficial and informative web site to stop them in the first place.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
OpenDNS spam/ad blocking

All FREE too except for OpenDNS which also has a paid version with even better features

Spooky!

Instead investigate OpenNIC, https://www.opennic.org

Doesn't block ads (except for a few servers) but it is democratically run and isn't spooky like Google DNS or OpenDNS.

OpenNIC also gives you access to unofficial TLDs (like .libre, .oss, .geek, .bit). These are democratically run, created, and changed by majority vote, and all are free of charge. This is not like Tor .onion addresses, it's the same Internet with your same ISP & IP and it applies to your whole system, just as changing servers to OpenDNS does.

Most servers do not log or anonymize logs. OpenNIC was recommended by Prism-Break because of this.

See: https://www.opennic.org, and https://servers.opennicproject.org for a list of servers to try out.

K2RNI

Those Ads are very intrusive. I am a cheepscate so no Premium membership. And I will not buy dammed Baofengs either. In fact there has not been anything in these ads that I would need.

I am going to try Adblocker as one has suggested. Did not work...

You have to go into the filter settings and disable the "acceptable ads" list. But as the other guy said uBlock is the best in the field. Good anti-adblock bypass technology you can even browse Forbes with it on.

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
I get the Ads, I guess, but ever since they appeared, the entire site has become agonizingly slow

troymail

Silent Key
I get the Ads, I guess, but ever since they appeared, the entire site has become agonizingly slow

Something seems to have changed alot with the ads recently.... I don't know if the ad servers are slow to respond or it is something else but everything on the RR site seems really slow today.

When I load most forum pages, I get the normal RR site banner immediately followed by a long pause (15-25 seconds) before the pages load.

Loading some aspects of the database pagers are also much slower than normal.

EDIT: Interestingly, when I edit a post like this, it is really fast to both present the post and save the post....

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I agree with troymail,
i can load a RR page and the banner at top loads then a long pause till the page finishes.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Slow websights

I have done computer repair for about 40 years, and the majority I see that are slow is because of the junk files and cache that are ever cleaned out. The last computer I worked on had about 15 gb of useless files. Get a good cleaner program like CCleaner (no ads) and see if that helps your problems.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have done computer repair for about 40 years, and the majority I see that are slow is because of the junk files and cache that are ever cleaned out. The last computer I worked on had about 15 gb of useless files. Get a good cleaner program like CCleaner (no ads) and see if that helps your problems.

Right that totally makes sense. Because 2 different users are reporting similar issues on a site that just days ago was giving us no problems. So it has to be our computers and not a problem with the site or site related. Good catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.