• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EF Johnson PCConfigure

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I just received an EF Johnson 5100ES 700/800mhz radio (Model Number: 242-517B-830EO6) that I ordered a few days ago. The radio shows V 6.16.3 when starting up. I have PCConfigure 2.6.11 & PCConfigure 2.10.2 but they are not reading the radio, So i'm assuming that these are not the same software to program this radio. Can someone please lead me in the right direction as to which version of PCConfigure will program this radio?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I was able to get PCConfiugure 2.18.6 and wrote just a basic 1zone/1chan to see if it would work and the radio was completely unprogrammed when i received it. I finished programming and now when I try to write to the radio I get "Communication error during Code Download". I don't understand why it would do that if I was able to write to it just 30 minutes with no issue.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I should also include that sometimes the radio will restart during the Upload/Download process. I can not read or write the radio. I have also tried reading and writing using different baud rates to include 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200.

evfd1625

If I remember correctly I think the 115200 baud setting worked in my situation and I'd start with checking cable connections, battery charge, simple stuff just to make sure it isn't fouling your programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
hmm, lets say it is a FLASH problem, what would be the solution for that?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Return it to the factory for repair and hope it has not had options turned on by hex editing. If this was a ebay buy I would be returning it. I keep up a fleet of over 100 51SL's and over 50 53SL's with factory bought options.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Before I venture down the returning it road, i just want to verify that it’s not something I could have screwed up. Is there any way I could have screwed it up by going into pcconfigure, adding 1 zone and 1 channel then writing it to the radio? Edited no other settings, just added the 1 zone and channel.

evfd1625

Did you make sure it was the right model in the software. Either by reading the radio first or checking the settings in the software?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project4

I just purchased my first EFJ radio. It is a new (though EOL) 51 SL. Part No. 242-5272-910DB4. On boot it displays V 4.8.10 What is the correct PC Configure version? What is the part number for the proper programming cable. I would like to monitor non-crypto, P25, conventional frequencies near 770 MHz.

W0VNE

The last firmware for that was 4.14.5 and PCConfig 2.10.2 ought to work. I've designed a little programmer card, cable for the 53xx series that doesn't have the "iffy" problems I saw with one of the things I bought for 2x the price. 53xx series radios in my experience will let you use 115k baud except for the very first radios which only ran at 9600 baud. Depending on how fast your computer is and how much iffyness is designed into your program cable / box there is a setting under "other" where you can put in a delay between commands to give the radio a chance to keep up. If I see any problems dialing that up to max would be a good step. Also unplug and replug the programmer. Mine lights up when your plugged in which is good since the weird mic connector can be a bugger. Also be aware that the computer should have a real serial port. USB to Serial converters won't work. If you have a a PCMCIA to serial card it might work. Ditto those gadgets you attach under the laptops to add the old printer port, serial port, extra USB etc. The software has to directly fiddle with the hardware to use some of the signals in non normal ways. The operating system can be Win95, 98, NT, 2000, XP and maybe Win7 but I can't verify the last one. If your using any of these old operating systems do not try going on the internet with the machine. There is some garbage that infests old machines in seconds and no amount of virus scanners or firewall / port protectors will shield you. *I learned the hard way.

BLATANT SELF PROMOTION WEB LINK - https://www.ebay.com/itm/EF-JOHNSON...704419?hash=item1a30aba2e3:g:VtIAAOSw~AVYpQN4

If you want a chuckle check out the video of me opening the first box of blank circuit boards on facebook/refurbatron I sound like a kid at Christmas.

Project4

Good morning W0VNE,
Thank you for the reply.
I have successfully programmed my 51SL with version 2.6.11 of PC Configure and a "Maxtop" RS-232 programming cable from an Ebay source in Chino, California. I'm running Windows XP on a Panasonic CF-18 with a real serial port set for 115,200 baud.
I should have updated my post in February with this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.