Bergen County TRS - again

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvdet

still no correction to some of the mis information on TG 1204 listed as Closter - several months ago
lasted 2 days, No body notice that Hackensack also was on 1204 recently'

and TG's 95,96,97 twice a month since October came into use by ??

And Wallington PD came back up while the Polish President visited town back on their previously listed TG
end of summer........

Anybody know of the time table of the 700 system

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
still no correction to some of the mis information on TG 1204 listed as Closter - several months ago
lasted 2 days, No body notice that Hackensack also was on 1204 recently'

and TG's 95,96,97 twice a month since October came into use by ??

And Wallington PD came back up while the Polish President visited town back on their previously listed TG
end of summer........

Anybody know of the time table of the 700 system

Jdvet,
Now if the DB needs to be changed/corrected.
Please make a submission to the RR DB with as much information as you can.
It's Better with a submission where the DB admins can act on it more quickly rather than randomly coming across it here in forums.

Please submit Walling Info. PD using what TG?
As to TG's 95,96,97 twice a month since October came into use by ?? We need more members to monitor and or track with software.

Otherwise, I'll take care of what I can it this time...

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

asnhnetwork

I have seen Sheriff Officers riding double sometines with Hackensack Officers in Hackensack cars, Not sure if they notify both dispatchers when they go on calls or maybe they were working skmething special when I saw it,

Has anyone heard what Bergen County's intentions are with respect to the UHF T-Band Giveback? Their current UHF system has a live expectancy of approximately 5 years as it stands now.

There's going to be a meeting of the NPSTC T-Band Coalition in December (email me directly if you want more info). I suppose the key stakeholders are going to develop some unified strategy. For now, the political climate is so volatile that who knows? Business/Industrial is still not made whole, and it's not clear if they have to vacate. TV doesn't seem to need to vacate. And, of course, the systems aren't even fully amortized. How can an administrator explain to the public that their perfectly good new system has to be forklifted out for another new system?

There's also the amount of resource obtained from 700 MHz vs. resource on-hand in T-Band. It's not just Bergen County in the mix. It's also Fort Lee's trunked system, conventional systems in Bogota, Cliffside Park, Wallington, Carlstadt, and so on. Each of these municipalities has tried for years to get the resources it needed to operate effectively, and now they're all in a lurch. I suppose everyone can build out a node of NJICS on 700 and get talkgroups, or they can be the experimental users of LTE (like Monoc is), just on the FirstNet backbone (whatever that ends up looking like - it'll probably start as an MVNO).

Confirmed today that Tenafly PD is switching from VHF to the NJICS system. Reportedly, Cresskill and Hackensack are considering doing the same. Makes no sense to buy UHF Trunked equipment if the County will be moving in 5 years. Curious to hear what portable in building coverage on NJICS will be like in Hackensack, but I believe there's are NJICS sites in Alpine, Fort Lee, and at Garrett Mountain, so maybe all will be okay. Cresskill and Tenafly should be blanketed by Alpine.

radiomanNJ1

Perhaps they will be buying/leasing multi band radios, such as the APX8000. They can cover all bands so they can still talk to their neighbors and enjoy the use of the state system. I have not seen a thread where it was discussed how much it costs to use and or maintain the system. Usually there is some financial setup.

Perhaps they will be buying/leasing multi band radios, such as the APX8000. They can cover all bands so they can still talk to their neighbors and enjoy the use of the state system. I have not seen a thread where it was discussed how much it costs to use and or maintain the system. Usually there is some financial setup.

I had a friend tell me the subscription fee per subscriber unit, but I forgot it. I'll need to ask again. The APX radios, themselves, are very expensive.

Confirmed today that Tenafly PD is switching from VHF to the NJICS system. Reportedly, Cresskill and Hackensack are considering doing the same. Makes no sense to buy UHF Trunked equipment if the County will be moving in 5 years. Curious to hear what portable in building coverage on NJICS will be like in Hackensack, but I believe there's are NJICS sites in Alpine, Fort Lee, and at Garrett Mountain, so maybe all will be okay. Cresskill and Tenafly should be blanketed by Alpine.
Guaranteeing a level of in-building coverage will probably require bi-directional amplifiers and distributed antennas or leaky coax engineered into the building, especially where there is a lot of attenuation, like at HUMC. That might be a role for Bergen County if they do a forklift upgrade into a NJICS node... or, maybe for the immediate future, an ordinance requiring certain types of buildings to have BDAs installed. Bergen County would also bring a building in Hackensack, a water tank in South Bergen, and a hilltop near the NYS line into the equation. If I were in the project (wishful thinking), I'd also look at Blue Hill Plaza in Pearl River with a screen reflector antenna that had an extreme front-to-back ratio. Once you get above the tree line in the valleys of upper Bergen County, the building is just about visible everywhere.

Alpine is a mixed bag. Do you remember when County Police and "Bergen County Alert" switched from 37.38 up to Channels 1 and 3 on T-Band? Channel 3 coverage was really bad from a very low tower at the PIP maintenance yard, when everyone thought it would be great.

snapple4th

I have a close source that said the county is upgrading to 700mhz within the next year or so on the back-end and will begin to transition agencies slowly over the next 5 years. I also heard that NJICS is allowing BC towns to use their system under the condition that they vacate the state system once BC is 700mhz ready and tied into the state for mutual aid.

The county is now offering the use of their trunk system without the condition of using them to dispatch which will probably lure more towns into the center or at least use their service.

Guaranteeing a level of in-building coverage will probably require bi-directional amplifiers and distributed antennas or leaky coax engineered into the building, especially where there is a lot of attenuation, like at HUMC. That might be a role for Bergen County if they do a forklift upgrade into a NJICS node... or, maybe for the immediate future, an ordinance requiring certain types of buildings to have BDAs installed. Bergen County would also bring a building in Hackensack, a water tank in South Bergen, and a hilltop near the NYS line into the equation. If I were in the project (wishful thinking), I'd also look at Blue Hill Plaza in Pearl River with a screen reflector antenna that had an extreme front-to-back ratio. Once you get above the tree line in the valleys of upper Bergen County, the building is just about visible everywhere.

Alpine is a mixed bag. Do you remember when County Police and "Bergen County Alert" switched from 37.38 up to Channels 1 and 3 on T-Band? Channel 3 coverage was really bad from a very low tower at the PIP maintenance yard, when everyone thought it would be great.

The inability to guarantee in building coverage is what keeps many agencies away from trunked systems like Bergen County's and NJICS. Rumor has it that Mahwah Township and Ridgewood Village stayed away from the BC system because they were both concerned about in building coverage. Paramus may be in the same boat. All of these municipalities have deployed multiple satellite receivers within their respective communities to ensure in building coverage.

Anyone know how the NJICS system is doing in terms of portable coverage in those communities that have switched over?

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I can say that here in Verona, we have identified a few in building dead spots. Most of them are inside elevators, or stairwells. There are also a few spots around town where you get the out of coverage “bonk”. When the radio is moved a few feet, coverage returns. No system is perfect, but for us, NJICS has much better coverage inside and outside than we had before with our own EDACS system. We have only been using NJICS since March, so as we go forward I’m sure more spots will be found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can say that here in Verona, we have identified a few in building dead spots. Most of them are inside elevators, or stairwells. There are also a few spots around town where you get the out of coverage “bonk”. When the radio is moved a few feet, coverage returns. No system is perfect, but for us, NJICS has much better coverage inside and outside than we had before with our own EDACS system. We have only been using NJICS since March, so as we go forward I’m sure more spots will be found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! I would have guessed zero dead spots in Verona based on the location of NJICS sites at Eagle Rock Reservation and Riker Hill. I used to own a UHF ham repeater in Verona and we had perfect in building HT coverage throughout the Township.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member

No site in Fort Lee. The sites on the West Orange simulcast are West Orange (which I believe is up on Eagle Rock), Riker Hill, Garret Mountain, Jersey City and the Courthouse. Watchung used to be included but it is now part of the Union County Simulcast. Alpine and a site at the Meadowlands will also blanket those areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Orange NJICS site is located in the Eagle Rock Reservation on a tower owned by the County of Essex. The 800 MHz NJSP site used to be at a tower that was just south of Eagle Rock Avenue in West Orange, behind a diner. Not sure if they also moved to the Essex County site or if they remained in place, co-located with the NJ Transit 800 MHz system.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know how the NJICS system is doing in terms of portable coverage in those communities that have switched over?

No problems in Union County, but that's not a surprise considering the site locations never changed from the tried, true, tested County EDACS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.