Scanner recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcflash57

I am looking to purchase a trunking scanner to work on the Project 25 Phase II which is listed in my area along with some VHF channels. I have been looking at the Bearcat BCD536HP which will not break the bank but was wondering how user friendly it is as far as programming. I would also appreciate any other recommendations.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1437

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am looking to purchase a trunking scanner to work on the Project 25 Phase II which is listed in my area along with some VHF channels. I have been looking at the Bearcat BCD536HP which will not break the bank but was wondering how user friendly it is as far as programming. I would also appreciate any other recommendations.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1437
Welcome to RadioReference, arcflash

The 536HP would cover the modes used in your county. Looking at the surrounding counties, it appears that in Ponotoc County, the county, as well as a couple of the cities are using DMR. The 536 will do DMR if you also get the paid upgrade($60). The hand-held equivalent is the BCD436HP, and it covers the same systems as the 536. In the Whistler line, you can choose from the WS1098 (base/mobile, as is the 536HP), or the WS1088 (hand-held) to cover your systems. The two Whistler models include an upgrade for DMR at no additional cost. I don't own either of those two models, but I do have the TRX-1. That's a portable scanner (the TRX-2 is their base/mobile), and these are the top of the Whistler units. The 436/536HPs are the top of the current models available from Uniden, and I have both of them.

There is a learning curve with any of the scanners listed. They all have the RadioReference database on a memory card, and you can set them up by entering your location and specifying what types of agencies you are interested in (example, Fire, Law Enforcement, EMS, etc). Or, you can create a custom list of what you want by importing from the database (Whistler) or appending (Uniden) from the database. Either method works. As far as the learning curve goes, once you get used to whichever scanner you get, you'll get the hang of it after using the scanner a while. There is a lot of help available here on the forums, on YouTube videos, as well as the Easier to Read Manuals.

I prefer the Uniden scanners, because I prefer the DMA system of programming. The Whistler scanners use Object Oriented. This is more a personal preference, as both methods work and accomplish the same thing, just in different ways. The Whistler scanners are generally a little more sensitive (for weaker signals), but can overload in some cases due to nearby transmitters such as cell sites and others. While the Unidens may not be quite as sensitive, they generally are less prone to overload, and have slightly better filters in their receivers. As I live in a dense metro area (Dallas-Fort Worth), with a large number of cell towers and other sources of radio traffic, the Unidens work out better. However, that may not be the case in all areas. You may want to browse through your state forum for comments on whether one model or the other works better in your portion of the state.

lu81fitter

Hi arcflash57, and welcome to Radio Reference!
You did not say if you are familiar with scanning or have any other scanners.
In addition to those posted by hiegtx, there are a few other options. If I may add, the Uniden BCD996P2, which is a base/mobile model, and the BCD325P2, which is a handheld. They require a little more programming, but are very capable units. I use a BCD996P2 and program it with Proscan software. It works very well for me in my area. I have no experience with the Whistler products, as I do not own any. But I do know that if you will be using any DMR, the upgrade for the Uniden models offers the trunktracking capability for DMR. I'm not sure that the Whistler offerings trunktrack DMR. Others may know more about that subject and I'm sure they will chime in.
At any rate, there are many members here at Radio Reference that are very knowledgeable about radios, scanners, antennas, and programming options. I think you will find the answers to anything you are looking for here.

arcflash57

Thanks all for the welcome, looks like a lot of knowledge here. I did listen to scanners some 8 or 10 years back with a table top Uniden 800 mhz and also had a handheld. It got to the point you could not pick up all the conversations when the trunking started so I kind of got out of it. The BCD996P2 looks good, I have never used a Whisler brand but I know they are good units. I really don't anticipate traveling with my scanner reason I'm looking at tabletop models. Can all these units be upgraded via computer connection?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm a happy user of two 536's and wouldn't trade them for anything else. There is lots of room and isn't difficult to program, though like anything new there is a learning curve.

Just to mention, the 996 isn't nearly as friendly to large statewide systems as is the 536. They can be programmed but it will take a lot more effort. Also the display has less "real estate" so you have to abbreviate channel names. Lastly the 996 Quick Key System isn't as easy to work with as is the 536's.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for the welcome, looks like a lot of knowledge here. I did listen to scanners some 8 or 10 years back with a table top Uniden 800 mhz and also had a handheld. It got to the point you could not pick up all the conversations when the trunking started so I kind of got out of it. The BCD996P2 looks good, I have never used a Whisler brand but I know they are good units. I really don't anticipate traveling with my scanner reason I'm looking at tabletop models. Can all these units be upgraded via computer connection?
ALL of the scanners mentioned can be programmed with a PC.

For the 436HP/536HP from Uniden, you can handle programming with the Sentinel software that Uniden supplies (free). There are also third party software programs that work as well, but you can do all your programming with Sentinel. I would also mention that the HP-2, also from Uniden, is programmed with a different version of Sentinel. Note that while the HP-2 can handle what the database shows for your state, it cannot be updated for DMR (needed if you also wish to monitor Ponotoc County).

For the Whistler units I mentioned, EZ-Scan software from Whistler, which comes with the scanners, handles your programming.

For the Uniden BCD996P2 (the handheld version is the BCD325P2), you can use FreeSCAN for much of your programming. However, as ofd8001 noted, these two do not handle large systems quite as well as the 436/536 models. Also, programming them would have a higher learning curve than the database scanners (Uniden or Whistler). If you decide to go with the 996P2 (or 325P2), you would find it much easier if you also became a Premium Subscriber to RadioReference, at least for the first 3 or 6 months, so that you can import programming data via software. (Subscription is NOT needed for the database scanners.) Also, the 996P2 and 325P2 can also be upgraded for DMR. However, if you need to program DMR systems, you'd need to purchase either ARC-XT or ProScan software, as FreeSCAN was not updated to support DMR systems. I prefer ProScan, because it also supports multiple other Uniden scanners, including some of my older ones. However, both programs have a 30 day free trial period, so that you can see which one you like better before purchasing.

I understand your thinking that you are leaning toward a base/mobile model for tabletop usage at home, and you don't plan to travel with your scanner. The base/mobile units usually have better audio (because of a larger speaker, inside of a much larger case), and their metal housings help minimize interference from other nearby electronics (a pc, broadband modem, printers, etc). However, a hand-held model, along with an ac adapter, can also be used on a tabletop. Besides that fact that, with batteries, it can be carried from room to room if you so desire, the batteries also keep it working even with a power failure, such as that caused by severe storms.

arcflash57

Thanks Steve, I really didn't think about the power outages, old timers disease setting in I guess. I may have a closer look at the 436HP, I'm sure it has an external speaker plug in, I was using one on my older handheld to improve the sound.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In the case of the 435 and 536, RF performance is essentially identical regarding sensitivity and selectivity (both are very good), and frequency coverage is the same. The only difference between them is that the 536 has Wi-Fi audio streaming and remote control, and costs about $100 more.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve, I really didn't think about the power outages, old timers disease setting in I guess. I may have a closer look at the 436HP, I'm sure it has an external speaker plug in, I was using one on my older handheld to improve the sound.
Note that if you use an external speaker, on the 436HP, it needs to be an amplified speaker. The headphone jack does not put out enough power to run an external speaker that is not powered. That's so that someone cannot damage their hearing with too much volume through a set or earbuds or headphones.

You're in Mississippi, so you have storms like we have here in Texas. Any of which could knock out the electricity for a while. If there was a line of storms, possibly with tornadoes, headed toward me, I'd much rather be able to listen on a handheld using batteries than stare at a base/mobile that was as dead as the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.