Whistler WS1065 $229.99 plus 4% Cash Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

Walmart currently has the Whistler WS1065 phase I base/mobile digital scanner for $229.99 with FREE shipping included (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whistler-Desktop-Digital-Trunking-Scanner/40991816). For those who may be unfamiliar with the WS1065, this is the Whistler version of the GRE PSR-600, Radio Shack PRO-197 and Radio Shack PRO-652. One nice feature of this Whistler version is that it includes the PC programming cable in the box with the scanner. The programming cable was NOT included with the PRO-197 or PRO-652 and would typically cost you an additional $25 to $30 to purchase separately.

Right now Ebates is offering 4% Cash Back for all purchases at Walmart.com so that would bring your price for the WS1065 down to $220.80 ($229.99 minus $9.19 Cash Back). You have to be a member of Ebates to get the Cash Back and must enter the Walmart.com website by going through the Ebates shopping portal first. Cash Back money is paid out to Ebates members every 3 months by either PayPal or a mailed check.

For those who are not currently a member of Ebates, joining is very simple and FREE. It will probably also save you a lot of extra money on your other holiday purchases as there are hundreds of stores where you can earn Cash Back for your online shopping. Here's a referral link if you would like to join Ebates: https://www.ebates.com/r/TOMPIM?eeid=38073

trp2525

Another option is a refurb direct from Whistler for $135. The ones that people have been getting look almost brand new...

One thing to consider when buying a "scratch and dent" refurb scanner from Whistler is that it only comes with a 90-day warranty. Out-of-warranty factory repair service for Whistler scanners is $120.

Buying brand-new gives you a full 1-year warranty from Whistler.

n0esc

Feed Provider
Understandable difference to be concerned about but after having done more than my fair share as a retail slave in a previous lifetime, I have found one truth to be universally applicable to all electronics. It will either die on you right away, within a few days of bringing it home if there is a true manufacturer defect, or it will die days after the warranty expires because that's just how Murphy's Law works. Whether that be on day 93 of a scratch and dent or day 367 for your new radio.

wbswetnam

Some scanners work for decades beyond their warranty. I have an old Uniden 142XL that (according to the date code) was manufactured in January 1990, and it still works great. I used it for my scanner feed until very recently.

I used to have a RS Pro-652, but it was a pain in the gluteus maximus to program through the keyboard - I was too cheap to buy the programming cable and software. I sold it at a ham convention.

trp2525

As a followup to my original post, Walmart has further dropped the price (slightly) of the Whistler WS1065 down to $227.61. The current price after your 4% Cash Back from Ebates would now be $218.51 ($227.61 minus $9.10 Cash Back).

Status
Not open for further replies.