No longer can hear Richmond or Henrico PD from Chesterfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

krooton

I've been away from the scanner for a little while, and when I fired up my RadioShack Pro-96 in Chesterfield, I noticed I could no longer pick up Richmond or Henrico. Anyone else have this issue or did something change that I need to update in my scanner?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

vern23882

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding

That system was rebanded some years back, that would be a good starting point. How long have you been away? I monitor it once in a while, last time was probably two months ago. The other thing to check would be the correct control channel programming.

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

W4UVV

Richmond City

Richmond recently was issued a new P1/P2 license with a new one for Henrico Co. probably soon to follow. This may or may not impact your current monitoring issue.

Interestingly this new Richmond license attributes the main radio trs as Chesterfield Co. and Richmond City is affiliated with it. For whatever reason(s) my past occasional monitoring of the "shared" multi-regional trunked systems was on the Chesterfield Co. trs, selected Richmond City trs talkgroups frequently were heard. However Chesterfield Co. talkgroups infrequently, if ever, were heard on the Richmond City trs. I never heard Henrico Co. talkgroups on the Chesterfield Co. trs. Maybe I didn't monitor the systems for long enough periods.

Here's the Richmond City trs FCC link:

ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WRAG695 - RICHMOND, CITY OF

John
W4UVV

krooton

Thanks for the info. I'm not so hip to the technical lingo though. Is there a file I can load that incorporates the info you sent?

W4UVV

RR Frequency Database for Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield

Thanks for the info. I'm not so hip to the technical lingo though. Is there a file I can load that incorporates the info you sent?

I am not sure who you are referring to but you can obtain the latest Chesterfield Co., Richmond City and Henrico Co. trs frequencies at the below RR frequency database link. Add new ones and delete old ones as appropriate in your Pro96. I never had a Pro96 and cannot further help you regarding programing the scanner.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=556

John
W4UVV

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
For whatever reason(s) my past occasional monitoring of the "shared" multi-regional trunked systems was on the Chesterfield Co. trs, selected Richmond City trs talkgroups frequently were heard. However Chesterfield Co. talkgroups infrequently, if ever, were heard on the Richmond City trs. I never heard Henrico Co. talkgroups on the Chesterfield Co. trs. Maybe I didn't monitor the systems for long enough periods.

John
W4UVV

I did a pretty careful study of this, because I programmed the zones into separate systems in order to search for new talkgroups. Each zone carried police/fire/ems dispatch plus fire/ems response tacs from the other zones. The exception was Colonial Heights, which AFAIK only appeared in Chesterfield's zone. I'm not aware of the new system being implemented anywhere yet, but am wondering if the ability to simulcast TG's in different zones in this selective way might be over as we say goodbye to the P16 system, and if they're disengaging this type of simulcasting as a prelude to the change.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

W4UVV

Area regional trs

I did a pretty careful study of this, because I programmed the zones into separate systems in order to search for new talkgroups. Each zone carried police/fire/ems dispatch plus fire/ems response tacs from the other zones. The exception was Colonial Heights, which AFAIK only appeared in Chesterfield's zone. I'm not aware of the new system being implemented anywhere yet, but am wondering if the ability to simulcast TG's in different zones in this selective way might be over as we say goodbye to the P16 system, and if they're disengaging this type of simulcasting as a prelude to the change.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

---------------------

Allen,

I never really understood that whole regional interrelated trs. All I know is Richmond City has been the dominant user on the Chesterfield trs mostly with fire and ems calls. It seemed to me to be somewhat of a lopsided operation. I don't ever recall hearing any Chesterfield Co. selected talkgroups heard on Richmond or Henrico. Maybe they are for only pursuits and such. This regional trs is not within my primary monitoring interests so I don't keep up with their inter-relationships.

Colonial Heights, still a user on the Chesterfield trs, is a world to itself obsessed with encryption. I believe if the technology had been available at the time, CH also would have encrypted its' tone paging.

John
W4UVV

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The only explanation I could guess at was that agencies wanted to monitor each other while staying affiliated in their home zones. This was a serious pain with the PRO-96 because each bank held a limited number of TG's. I had to program a TG into the bank in order to lock it out, and having to lock out the TG's routinely broadcast from other zones put a cramp on that. Way better when the PSR500 came out.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Last edited:

W4UVV

Patience

The only explanation I could guess at was that agencies wanted to monitor each other while staying affiliated in their home zones. This was a serious pain with the PRO-96 because each bank held a limited number of TG's. I had to program a TG into the bank in order to lock it out, and having to lock out the TG's routinely broadcast from other zones put a cramp on that. Way better when the PSR500 came out.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

----------------

You have more patience than I have for that sort of experimenting.

John
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.