Loptop or chromebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericsloan

Im very new to this and im finding that some of my programming software doesnt work on win 10 so thought i might try a nextbook or chromebook does anyone have any input

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, really depends on the software you are running.
I've stuck with Windows 7 on my PC stuff, although I do have an older laptop running Windows XP.
The recent Motorola and Kenwood stuff runs fine on Windows 7.
Some of the older software works better on XP.

And for the really old Motorola stuff, I've got a bootable USB drive running a program called "Rufus" that boots up into DOS.

If money is tight, it's pretty easy to find older laptops if you search around.

glen4cindy

Nothing will work on a chrome book.

This is precisely right.

A Chromebook is not really a "computer" as much as it is really just an Internet browser device that allows you to use Google Chrome applications, among which you will find Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google etc......

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If you're running radio programming software, you'll be much better off finding an older (slower) laptop with both USB ports and a REAL serial port, running Win XP or Win 7.

There are several programming applications that require a REAL serial port, and many applications work best on XP or Win7 with a slower processor. Most of these older applications have never been upgraded to work on newer PC's.

John AC4JK

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Check your local pawn shops.
I found a great Dell with windows XP and an actual DB9 Comm port for 40 bucks.
Perfect for programming older motorola radios and kenwoods and stuff.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you're running radio programming software, you'll be much better off finding an older (slower) laptop with both USB ports and a REAL serial port, running Win XP or Win 7.

There are several programming applications that require a REAL serial port, and many applications work best on XP or Win7 with a slower processor. Most of these older applications have never been upgraded to work on newer PC's.

John AC4JK

I have two Acer Netbooks with Windows 7 that I've had for several years. All I use them for is radio programming. They're not terribly fast but they don't need to be. The screen is only 10" but they're dependable and the battery lasts 6+ hours. I have one at home and I put the other one in the mobile command post to program the Kenwood UHF & VHF radios.

N4KVE

I have a Windows 7 laptop for my current radios. A XP laptop for older radios. A real DOS Toshiba laptop for really old radios. They are all cheaper than a Chromebook device which is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.