Not hearing all Denver PD EDACS traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cohamwx

Currently listening to District 6/Downtown from Littleton via a RS pro197 and receiving the control channel at 96%, so why am I not receiving all the radio traffic?

It seems like all it receives it the very last end of the transmissions and Not hearing the other side of the conversation sometimes.

ScannerSK

There was an update to the PSR-500/600 scanner for the Denver EDACS system. Possibly this could be related to your issue as it is basically the same scanner as the PSR-500. I'm not sure whether RadioShack ever sent out a CPU update for this issue or not?

The update for the PSR-500/600 noted the following:

PSR-500/600 Firmware 2.3
An update to the PSR-500 and PSR-600 has been released. This version addresses the EDACS ESK detection problem discovered while monitoring the Denver Public Safety system (it may occur on other systems but, to my knowledge, it's only been reported on this one).

The last update to the PRO-197 that I see was available was CPU version 2.1.

Shawn

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Currently listening to District 6/Downtown from Littleton via a RS pro197 and receiving the control channel at 96%, so why am I not receiving all the radio traffic?

It seems like all it receives it the very last end of the transmissions and Not hearing the other side of the conversation sometimes.

Not sure how you are programming your scanner, but I am guessing that you are programming everything manually (either by hand or using software without importing from the database).

For any EDACS (and LTR) system, you must program all the frequencies in the exact Logical Channel Number (LCN) order as shown in the database. This means that 854.9875 MHz should be Channel 01, 854.5625 MHz should be Channel 20, and all frequencies in between should be programmed to the correct channel as listed in the database. The scanner needs this information in order to know which frequency it should be listening to.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Good point, Spitfire. Another possibility that occurs to me is Weather Priority being turned on. This would interrupt reception every few seconds.

Cohamwx

I completely forgot that you had to program all the freq/channels, so that is what the issue was. Hearing everything fine now.

Thanks you all.

eyes00only

After a long time I used my scanner the other day and noticed that Denver has changed a lot of talkgroups. The fire channels are totally different! They now use Tac channels instead of incident channels. I haven't been able to afford membership to RR but may need to come up with the money so I can redo Denver etc. Also need to remove the many many agencies that my PSR 500 will not monitor.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
After a long time I used my scanner the other day and noticed that Denver has changed a lot of talkgroups. The fire channels are totally different! They now use Tac channels instead of incident channels. I haven't been able to afford membership to RR but may need to come up with the money so I can redo Denver etc. Also need to remove the many many agencies that my PSR 500 will not monitor.

Without a membership you can still view the database listings, you just have program everything manually. But the information is there.

eyes00only

I've always used the great Win500 because with a membership it's 100% easier to load huge systems. I've been out of the hobby for some time because it's gotten so expensive and many agencies can't be monitored. I have MANUALLY changed the Denver Fire Dept.
talkgroups and names.

Status
Not open for further replies.