Has Anyone Used an SDRPlay RSP1A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4AIM

Have any of you used an SDRplay RSP1A?

I'm currently using an RTL-SDR Dongle and the guy at Ham Radio Outlet said that upgrading to the SDRPlay RSP1A would be like going from a "Motorscooter to a Drag Bike".

Any input on the capabilities of the SDRPlay device?

royldean

One of the main features I'm interested in would be the Digital Decoding for P25 / MotoTRBO. Does the SDRUno software cover that?

With other dongles I have to use 3 or 4 pieces of software just to work the dongle for P25.

I do not believe SDRUno does that. I think all it is a well outfitted waterfall/demodulator software (Like SDR# or GQRX). The RSP1 is miles above the RTL-SDR, however, as far as receiver sensitivity (at least from what very educated people have told me - I don't own one).

ab5r

Thank you, questnz. My two finger typing and old age is at fault. SORRY

I own the RSP1, which has been replaced by the RSP1A with many new improvements. I've read many complements about the new version on their Facebook page. The receivers do not do any "decoding" per se. However, some third party plugin may work.....I don't know.

Correct site is: https://www.sdrplay.com/

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Have any of you used an SDRplay RSP1A?

I'm currently using an RTL-SDR Dongle and the guy at Ham Radio Outlet said that upgrading to the SDRPlay RSP1A would be like going from a "Motorscooter to a Drag Bike".

Any input on the capabilities of the SDRPlay device?

I have an RSP1, and the sales guy is right; greatly superior to the RTL-SDR dongles. SDRUno is very powerful software which, while it takes awhile to learn, enables fantastic capabilities.

I can't speak to the RSP1A, but if it's at least as good as the RSP1 you can't go wrong.

jonohudson

Video comparisons of SDRplay RSP1A

Over on*YouTube, Mike Kokotov has released a video comparison of the RSP1A in action on* VLF, LW and NDB bands using actual signals received in Macedonia.* The RSP1A is seen to perform really well in comparison to other popular SDRs – this is particularly significant when you consider that the RSP1A can process up to 10 MHz of spectrum, anywhere between 1kHz and 2GHz. https://youtu.be/kZy3TaodeMs

k4gps

I am awaiting delivery today of my RSP2pro and hope it's all that it's been said to be. I have put up a Diamond Discone antenna and am trying to get a dipole up quickly, it's a bit cold for us southerners right now with a high of 37 degrees in SC.

LubeckTech

Premium Subscriber
I do not believe SDRUno does that. I think all it is a well outfitted waterfall/demodulator software (Like SDR# or GQRX). The RSP1 is miles above the RTL-SDR, however, as far as receiver sensitivity (at least from what very educated people have told me - I don't own one).

A free program called DSD+ works well to decode P25, MOTRBO and Nexedge.
Plus it will decode control channel data from P25 and TRBO Trunked systems.
Easy to use.

Flatliner

The RSP1A is superb. It's an improvement over even the more expensive RSP2 Pro.

Flatliner

No, not at all. The RSP1A is the latest SDRplay offering. It's intended to replace the, now retired, RSP1. Though with time, comes evolution. Notably the RSP1A has improved filtering. You don't get the twin SMAs that exist on the RSP2, though, personally, I didn't need two anyway.

k4gps

So the 1a has improved filtering while the newer 2 and 2pro do not ? I do like the 2 antenna Jacks simce it offered me the option of a Omni or directive antenna on the Higher bands. Not sure I like the Hi-z input for HF though, they say it has improved filtering but I domt used unbalanced line so I just stripped my coax and inserted it.

Flatliner

UHF Satcom is a lot better. DAB tended to tread all over it around here, though there is a DAB filter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.