• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming MTS 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Hello, folks. Well, they said that it wouldn't be easy. I have a nice clean Model III Flashport for 900 mHz amateur use. Struggled to download and install the CPS because it only will run on my old Dell Windows XP machine. Obtained a RIB-less cable and also a serial to USB adapter because that old machine only had one serial port that was needed for the monitor. Downloaded and installed two versions of the Prolific drivers (does the installation file location make a difference?). The CPS program sees the com port into which the cable is connected but does not read the radio. Is there some radio setting that must be in place before the program can read it? Should the unit be on or off? Any suggestions please (other than professional programming)?
Thanks !!

N4KVE

Hello, folks. Well, they said that it wouldn't be easy. I have a nice clean Model III Flashport for 900 mHz amateur use. Struggled to download and install the CPS because it only will run on my old Dell Windows XP machine. Obtained a RIB-less cable and also a serial to USB adapter because that old machine only had one serial port that was needed for the monitor. Downloaded and installed two versions of the Prolific drivers (does the installation file location make a difference?). The CPS program sees the com port into which the cable is connected but does not read the radio. Is there some radio setting that must be in place before the program can read it? Should the unit be on or off? Any suggestions please (other than professional programming)?
Thanks !!
I can not stress how important it is to plug the programming cable into the serial port. The USB/serial port adaptors for the most part do NOT work. Get a $50 XP laptop & use the serial port. Then, no drivers are necessary. I program my 900 MTS all the time with a cheap Dell XP laptop using a Maxton ribless cable plugged into the serial port. Good luck.

Jimbo695

Great advice; thanks ! Since I already have an XP machine how about I use the adapter to attach the monitor, and free up that one serial port for the programming cable? Think that will work?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I've not seen a monitor that used a serial port. Are you certain it's not using a VGA port?

clbsquared

Using a true serial port is always your best option on older model Motorola radios. However, if you insist on using a USB to serial adapter, make sure it has an FTDI chipset. Prolific cables are cheap and often times do not work. The FTDI cable is more dependable although higher in price (for good reason). I use the FTDI USB serial adapter on my MTS2000's and have yet to have any problems. Running on a Toughbook, 32 bit windows 7.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Further answers

You asked if there were any particular settings on the radio to enable programming = No.
You asked if the radio needed to be on or off to program = On.

Good luck

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Great advice; thanks ! Since I already have an XP machine how about I use the adapter to attach the monitor, and free up that one serial port for the programming cable? Think that will work?

A monitor port and a serial port are completely different. Monitor port is a DB15 a serial port is normally a DB9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo695

Thanks, everyone !! Great suggestions and I appreciate them.

That dinosaur of a desktop has only one serial port, and it has a monitor icon burned into the plastic - obviously suggesting that the port be used to connect the monitor, which also has a serial cable. Since there are no other serial ports I was hoping that it could have multiple purposes.

I went for the Prolific because of the cost. The FTDI cable would have cost me more than the radio :)

N4KVE

So if this is the case, open the CPS, & when ready to read the radio, unplug the monitor, & plug in the programming cable. After the radio is read, unplug the cable, & plug in the monitor. Make the changes, get back to the write icon, & again unplug the monitor, & plug in the programming cable. Program the radio. You do not need to look at the monitor when the radio is being read, or written.

crazyboy

Monitors don’t plug into serial ports, they don’t even have the same number of pins.

Jimbo695

N4KVE - thanks. Exceptionally practical suggestion. My only concern is how I actually activate the "read" feature when the monitor is disconnected, since I wont be able to see it or move the cursor to the appropriate place on the screen. I suppose that, if I'm very careful, I can move the cursor into place before disconnecting the monitor and then just click when the programming cable is hooked up. I'll try it.

crazyboy - thank you, also. I'm not much of a tech guy but I can see that there is only one serial like port on that old machine. Both the programming cable and the monitor cable easily and perfectly fit and it LOOKS like the same number of pins in each row.

cmdrwill

Monitors don’t plug into serial ports, they don’t even have the same number of pins.

That is what I remember, Monitor to the 15 pin connector. Serial port usually is 9 male pins. Some older computers have 25 pin serial connectors.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Adjust Squelch

Hi there,

I recently messed with a batch of MTS2000 900mhz radios I acquired for a song. Virtually all
of them were fine for ham repeater use (t/x 902mhz or so and rx around 927). Only 1/10
of these radios was suitable for simplex use (tx and rx around around 927). 9/10 of the radios
would not tx from 927-928 (vco would not lock). I know of no practical way to fix this for an MTS.

Once you get your radio's programmed, you might want to use the CPS tuner to adjust the squelch thresholds, or whatever its called. Make sure you record the starting values in case you cause problems.
I found that on my radios, the default settings (3 sliding bars under the receiver tuner) had the squelch much to "tight" for amateur band usage.

best wishes

N4KVE

Hi there,

I recently messed with a batch of MTS2000 900mhz radios I acquired for a song. Virtually all
of them were fine for ham repeater use (t/x 902mhz or so and rx around 927). Only 1/10
of these radios was suitable for simplex use (tx and rx around around 927). 9/10 of the radios
would not tx from 927-928 (vco would not lock). I know of no practical way to fix this for an MTS.
I've had this problem too. Maybe 1 in 5 would work fine. But I had one that was deaf at 927, & really worked pretty bad. But I was able to send the radio to someone who made it totally perfect like the radio was meant to work at 902/927. A much better radio is the MTX9250. They ALL work perfectly at 902/927 w/o any retuning. I just picked up 3 on E-Bay for $50 each. They all x-mit at 902, & 927, & RX at 927 PERFECTLY. Maybe you want to try & find one if your MTS does not do 902/927 well. Good luck.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
N4KVE - thanks. Exceptionally practical suggestion. My only concern is how I actually activate the "read" feature when the monitor is disconnected, since I wont be able to see it or move the cursor to the appropriate place on the screen. I suppose that, if I'm very careful, I can move the cursor into place before disconnecting the monitor and then just click when the programming cable is hooked up. I'll try it.

crazyboy - thank you, also. I'm not much of a tech guy but I can see that there is only one serial like port on that old machine. Both the programming cable and the monitor cable easily and perfectly fit and it LOOKS like the same number of pins in each row.
No monitor will work in a DB9 serial port, and no communication can take place through a DB15 VGA port.

Period.

Here is the most important question in the connector debate: Can you post a picture of it? How many horizontal rows of pins are there? It is *possible* that you have an oddball machine with an RGB DB9 connector, but that is extremely unlikely, and that port will not work for programming.

Now, as far as cheap workarounds, you get what you pay for. The *only* usb-serial adapter I have found that works well is made by ATEN, and has worked for me universally thus far.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
There's a lot of confusing information on here. To clarify, what we call a DB-9 is in reality a DE-9 and is the commonly found serial connector. The computer side of this (whether it be a DB-25 or DE-9) will always be male.

VGA uses a DE-15 or what is more commonly referred to as a DB-15HD (for high density). The computer side of a VGA port will always be female.

Here is a comparison of the two side-by-side.
EOJxM.jpg

Now some older lab equipment had what was called an RGB monitor output which utilized a DE-9 connector. The only real examples of these I can pull off the top of my head are the Motorola R2600 series monitors (exception the R2670C which had a VGA port instead due to the color display). The equipment/computer side of this will be a female.

Jimbo695

Thanks and a Little More Help, Please ??

Finally got the CPS up and running and reading the radio !! (Old laptop with Windows XP and two correct serial post). Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and the enthusiastic effort; you guys are the best!

Next up - I see lots of chatter about how the MTS 2000 III may but may not work for the 927 mHz repeater splits. Some older threads say that it isn't really possible to tell from serial numbers or other references whether the unit in your hand will or will not; its hit or miss. I also recall reading about altering the HEX patterns but I'd be in way over my head trying to do that. Does anyone have anything current on this issue, please? Maybe a fix? I'd prefer not to waste my time trying if it can't be done. Thanks again, everyone!

Jimbo695

Disregard Previous

Please disregard previous. There's enough information earlier in this thread for me to answer my own questions (or most of them). Thanks again, everyone!

Jimbo695

Next Issue - Unit Will Not Accept Frequency Programming

Hi again folks. Now that I'm able to read the unit into the CPS and learned how to program the basic features, the next barrier is that the unit Conventional Personality screen will not accept the repeater split I put in. More correctly, it accepts the data -rx and tx frequencies - but the field names turn red. When I check this in "View - Invalid fields" both the rx and tx fields are listed. Now, I know that many of these units will not tx in 927, but I haven't seen any issue with rx. Is it me ? Thanks, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.