UHF Duplex & VHF Simplex Simultaneously using 1 Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am looking at possibly simultaneously running a GMRS (UHF) Repeater and a VHF Simplex EchoLink service through a single dual band antenna. If a decent Diplexer is used is there any issues with this setup?

The only reason I am considering doing it this way is to limit the number of antennas I am using. Obviously I think the ideal setup would be to skip the Diplexer and have each system running off of it's own antenna system.

Does anyone have any experience doing anything like this?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I think you are going to have a tough time finding a dual band antenna that is resonant at 462MHz and 144-148MHz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You didn't specify if this is mobile or base. I have done this exact setup in a mobile for a fire truck in the past. VHF simplex to fire control with a on board UHF repeater. Used the Larsen dual band VHF/UHF antenna. On the other side of the spectrum I have a tower site in my area that has this done for a TAC inter-op system. It actually uses a VHF antenna with a low power UHF split into it.

As you said this isn't idea, but as long as you have a good duplexer on the UHF GMRS repeater and get a good diplexer you should be fine.

prcguy

I've done this for a company with a low power 460MHz repeater and a marine transceiver at the same location. Antenna used was a Comet GP-9 commercial which covered both bands ok. The radios operated simultaneously with no problems using a Comet or Diamond diplexer and I forget the model we used.
prcguy

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The Diamond X50C2 covers 145-162 and 445-469

Hopefully he will have his node radio operating above 146MHz. As much as I dislike anything Comet/NCG/Diamond/Fiberglass/crap, this may be what he needs to make it work.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Hopefully he will have his node radio operating above 146MHz. As much as I dislike anything Comet/NCG/Diamond/Fiberglass/crap, this may be what he needs to make it work.

I have been operating my EchoLink node on simplex using 146.4600

I have yet to actually try out this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.