DSDPlus .traffic files (fastlane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

Back in version 1.112 and some others DSD+, when using the -rc argument, showed channel/group/rid activity by creating an empty .traffic file with the file name showing the relevant metadata. For some reason that feature is not available in later versions of the fast lane - unless I am doing something wrong.

Has this feature disappeared, or does the info now get sent over TCP?

I basically want to create a utility in C to read this info that DSD+ creates to send serial commands to my ICOM receiver to change frequencies.

thanks for your help!

cg

Premium Subscriber
I see it and I am using TCP
2 temporary files created on each transmission that is monitored.
.traffic and .tuned-traffic

I am using 2 dongles and trunktracking a P25 system with recordings.

chris

edit: actually there are 3 files, the third is
.voiceactive

Last edited:

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi CG,

I'm not using dongles, just a discriminator input into the sound card from my ICOM receiver. Can I still see these files in later versions of DSD+ without using dongles? Thanks!

cg

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the delay, I was trying to find one of my tapped radios to no avail.
I suspect it is with the use of the dongles for the purpose of tuning so without the dongle in place, you wouldn't get the file. However, if you have a cheap old dongle, use it as a fake voice radio and output the sound to a crappy output. You then would have the files to use as they were created.

chris

slicerwizard

Hi All,

Back in version 1.112 and some others DSD+, when using the -rc argument, showed channel/group/rid activity by creating an empty .traffic file with the file name showing the relevant metadata. For some reason that feature is not available in later versions of the fast lane - unless I am doing something wrong.

Has this feature disappeared, or does the info now get sent over TCP?

I basically want to create a utility in C to read this info that DSD+ creates to send serial commands to my ICOM receiver to change frequencies.
I highly doubt that anything has changed. If it had, one wouldn't be able to use anything but FMPA/FMP24 and a TCP link to CC DSD+, i.e. no scanner or SDR# monitoring the control channel, and I've never heard of that not working or seen anything like that in the docs.

I don't use tapped scanners these days, so here's the next best thing. I took a recording of a control channel and fed it to DSD+ via VB Cable. There are .traffic files being created. Not sure why you're having a problem.

Attachments

• Traffic File Via VB Cable.jpg
    Traffic File Via VB Cable.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 282

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi Andrew,

Not sure why the later versions are not working for me when using the -rc argument. Until I get this resolved I am using version .1112 for my development. I actually decided to write the program in Python instead of C, mainly due to the glob and pySerial packages making it easy to read the .traffic/.VoiceActive file headers and send serial commands to the ICOM receivers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 9.35.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 9.35.36 PM.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

slicerwizard

Hi Andrew,

That was it, thank you. So newer versions need the .frequencies file populated to create the temporary files.
I would think it would be all versions. If frequencies aren't defined, how can any version tell a tuner what to do?

Also,

Is there any easy way to separate different Capacity Plus/Linked Capacity Plus networks? There are numerous systems near me. thanks
The docs say to just use the RR database page number as the system ID and create entries in the .networks, .sites and .frequencies files the same way one would do it for a Con+ or NEXEDGE system.

So for this system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8334

.networks:

Cap+, 8334, "Guelph City Services"

.frequencies:

; Guelph City Services

Cap+, 8334, 1, 1, 410.8125, 0.0, 0
Cap+, 8334, 1, 3, 412.7375, 0.0, 0
Cap+, 8334, 1, 5, 412.8875, 0.0, 0
Cap+, 8334, 1, 7, 413.9875, 0.0, 0
Cap+, 8334, 1, 9, 413.7375, 0.0, 0

Works for me, but I'm using two dongles for trunk tracking. Haven't tried any other configuration.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi Andrew,

No good using the 4 digit page number. a system ID of 0 is the only number that works and with the tapped ICOM and produces the temporary files. The only work around I can see is to create separate DSD+ folders for each Cap+ system.

thanks again for your help!

Lastly I know you are very knowledgeable on discriminator tap circuits. Would you know why the ICOM R7000 discrim performs better than the R8500? With the R7000 my takeoff point is the usual right side of resistor R97 and have a 10uF nonpolar cap and 10K resistor in series. This gives me the best decodes even on NEXEDGE48. But the 8500 totally stinks with NEXEDGE48. I tried combinations of R's and C's to no avail. I wonder if I can share audio from the R8500 and maybe you can suggest what I can do to improve it. I would rater use the 8500 since it is more sensitive than my aging 7000.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.