• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4/G4 Amplified Charger - Overcharge / Reception Probs - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
So I got the Amplified Charger for the G4/G5.

Sound is awesome...noticed I have to dock it off and turn it on in the base to get speaker to work...no big deal.

Questions:

# 1
Also - is it bad to sit in the base...(by my bed) if it is already charged. Is it smart to not over charge? Is it bad to stay docked...when not using portable?

# 2
Lastly Reception.
I currently use my G4 only for 800mhz. Phase 1 trunking. Sometimes I loose connection to the tower when sitting in the Amplified Charger. When I pull the G4 out and sit it next to the charger - it never looses connection to tower. So its a reception thing. The antenna that comes with it is tall VHF looking...thinking to clip it down to 800 Mhz. range - anyone else do this or use a SPECIAL 800 Mhz antenna with their base?

Thanks for comments !!

Jimco

So I got the Amplified Charger for the G4/G5.

Sound is awesome...noticed I have to dock it off and turn it on in the base to get speaker to work...no big deal.

Questions:

# 1
Also - is it bad to sit in the base...(by my bed) if it is already charged. Is it smart to not over charge? Is it bad to stay docked...when not using portable?

# 2
Lastly Reception.
I currently use my G4 only for 800mhz. Phase 1 trunking. Sometimes I loose connection to the tower when sitting in the Amplified Charger. When I pull the G4 out and sit it next to the charger - it never looses connection to tower. So its a reception thing. The antenna that comes with it is tall VHF looking...thinking to clip it down to 800 Mhz. range - anyone else do this or use a SPECIAL 800 Mhz antenna with their base?

Thanks for comments !!

I'm pretty sure it has overcharge protection, but I have an issue with mine where it will sit in there forever and never finish charging. As for reception, if you're just listening to P25 systems, don't attach the antenna. It will use the antenna on the unit and pick up just fine.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Just saw another thread on this...so if no antenna attached to charger it uses the little antenna on the G4 - that is Cool !!

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
I tried this - did not work.
In charger (yes seated well and antenna seated well) - kept loosing signal (tower connection) out of range.

Out of charger sitting next to charger using supplied antenna - No loss at all.

Did anyone cut their antenna to 800mhz. length - did that help?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I never plugged an antenna up to my amplifier/charger. I just let it use the one on the radio, always works just fine.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I tried an 800 antenna on the amplifier and no joy. I think this external antenna connection is for UHF/VHF only.

I keep my G4 in the charger when not in use. A few times after docking I got a charging error and had to plug in the programming cable to reset it. Have not had any overcharge issues. Remember this is a fire pager, not a scanner. It is designed to be in the amplifier when not on the belt.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
My G4's antenna works just fine, until I place the pager into the amplified charger. I'm now using a Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna to pick up what the tiny antenna used to pick up.

And, I'm being serious here, when I put my hand near the speaker, I hear a conservative talk radio station. What the...?

TwoWayTim

I tested mine after reading the above posts.

I get better P25 reception while in the Amp Charger. I went from -103 RSSI in the Amp Charger to -123 RSSI with 10% error when removed from the Amp Charger.

Attachments

• 2017-12-12 16.07.16_resize.jpg
    2017-12-12 16.07.16_resize.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 2017-12-12 16.33.04_resize.jpg
    2017-12-12 16.33.04_resize.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.